Rob Koll to Stanford?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Rob Koll to Stanford?

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:30 pm

Thanks for posting. An in-depth analysis from a former Penn assistant coach that addresses a lot of the funding questions we've asked over the years. I can understand how our staff can say "We can't match their offers" now.

I actually have a neat Mike McMullan story. The 2017 EIWA tournament was held at Bucknell; it was my first time as the EIWA SID and it was Mike's last year with Penn. The 197 finals between Frank Mattiace of Penn and Tom Sleigh of Bucknell went into OT, and it seemed like there were a lot of stoppages during the bout. I was sitting at a press table just in front of some Bucknell students in the stands, who of course were cheering on Sleigh. McMullan was Penn's upperweights coach, and he kept standing up and calling in to Mattiace (and offering the referees some advice on how to score the bout). McMullan was wearing his signature glasses and a Penn sweater with the giant P in front.

One of the Bucknell fans behind me was a tiny co-ed with a high pitched voice, who had been yelling at Mike to sit down. Finally she yelled out "SIT DOWN, SWEATER!!" I turned around and looked at her, and she suddenly panicked: "Oh my god, the old guy is looking at me" sort of thing. I said "Sit down, Sweater? ............. I love it!" She smiled and said "Thank you!" and then I guess went back to yelling at Mike.

On the way out of Sojka after things wrapped up I made a point of walking by McMullan and I told him about the exchange. He loved it, although he was surprised about the sweater bit -- "Normally they make fun of my glasses."
Last edited by jdalu75 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:17 pm

mh1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:52 pm Great article from Mike about the Ivy aid and recruiting landscape.

https://mmcmullan.substack.com/p/short- ... estling-hc
>>>>>>> Mike McMullan has my permission to re-title his missive "9.9 is for Suckers"

With the peek behind the Ivy curtain, we now know "preferred sport status" is an admissions advantage and that Ivy need-based financial aid is an advantage. It beats the hell out of 9.9 targeted aid every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Coach Koll will be successful at Stanford. He just needs the right staff. Looks like he has Kerry McCoy to run his RTC. Who will stay from the current staff? Who will be added? The X factor is California. It's always nice to have quality wrestlers in your own backyard. California has that. What they don't have is many D1 landing spots for all the talent. I suspect Coach Koll will recruit the heck out of his home state and use his eastern contacts to leverage the OH-PA-NJ-NY corridor. Stanford is a national recruiting school like the Ivies and Notre Dame. And I don't think it will take him very long to convince the admissions dept to work with him.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:30 pm

Good god JDA it’s “McMullan”
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:48 pm

mh1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:30 pm Good god JDA it’s “McMullan”
It shouldn't be.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:17 pm
>>>>>>> Mike McMullan has my permission to re-title his missive "9.9 is for Suckers"

I was thinking earlier about the new corollary to your long-standing theorem: 1440 SATs are for Suckers, too.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 am

Watched the Koll interview on The Bader Show and it was quite impressive. Whatever Koll does, it keeps him youthful. He doesn't appear or sound like a guy who has been a head coach for 28 years.

He cracked the code at Cornell. And did it by staying within the rules of engagement, both NCAA and Ivy. While he created, as Greg Strobel used to say "an unfair advantage," it wasn't an illegal or unethical advantage. In fact, had anyone else been in his place and discovered program building plutonium as he had, they would have used it the exact same way. Cornell fans are going to miss him big time. So we Lehigh fans. LU fans have always had an arch nemesis coach to rag on. Bill Koll, Ed Peery, Roger Reina, Rob Koll ..... seems always connected to beating us a little too much.

Heard a rumor Damian Hahn is being considered for Stanford assistant. That would be interesting. Don't know about you, but I'm fascinated with this move. It certainly will give us something to discuss this off-season.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:56 am

Willie Saylor tweeted out that Hahn will not be going to Stanford confirmed he is committed to staying at South Dakota. Now Willie is usually right when he comes out with his information, but then again wouldn't be the first time a coach leaves a program after saying he was "committed" to staying, but I think it would take a lot of money to get him to leave South Dakota head coaching position for an assistant coaching position.......especially with the cost of living differences between the two locations.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:50 am

Maybe Coach Koll is helping him with his current AD
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:28 pm

South Dakota is currently battling a Methamphetamine epidemic. Hahn is a fool not to leave.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:20 pm

mookie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:28 pm South Dakota is currently battling a Methamphetamine epidemic. Hahn is a fool not to leave.