Rob Koll to Stanford?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: Rob Koll to Stanford?

Post by mookie » Sat May 29, 2021 4:57 pm

Mineo also said Koll was busted by Cornell administrators for holding off campus workouts. Quite the train wreck.

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:21 pm

I have no inside info one way or the other; if Koll does head to Stanford you can be sure that he extracts an ironclad guarantee that wrestling won't be dropped for the life of his contract, which presumably would be a long one.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:26 pm

mookie wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:57 pm Mineo also said Koll was busted by Cornell administrators for holding off campus workouts. Quite the train wreck.
Mineo is reporting on his twitter feed that Mike Grey is now Cornell's head coach.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat May 29, 2021 5:31 pm

It's actually not that far-fetched.

If mookie's info is accurate (and why wouldn't it be?) that Cornell Admin busted him for holding off campus work-outs -- that is ridiculous. Perhaps coach Koll has had it with the Ivy horsebleep rules. He's done plenty for that school to say the least. He wouldn't need SUNY_Ithaca type admissions at Stanford because they admit elite athletes just like Michigan and every other Power 5 school. If they're elite enough, they get in and they get financed. He's been at Cornell about 28 years (I'm sure someone will correct me) -- it's time. Let Mike Grey take over.

He won't even have to change his red sweaters. He's mid-50s. Even a 5 year deal would be enough for him to win it all, especially with what he's got in the barn today.

It's fascinating any way you look at it.

Maybe we now know why Max Dean left.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 pm

Here's an interesting question.

If Rob Koll DOES jump ship and high tails it to the West Coast, will some of the Blue Chippers/established stars (I'm talking 'bout you, Yanni) who got the grades/scores, will follow him over?

Inquiring minds want to speculate. ;)

(Hmm, this intrigue may rival that of the Grey Affair!)
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat May 29, 2021 5:36 pm

D3 for LU wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 pm Here's an interesting question.

If Rob Koll DOES jump ship and high tails it to the West Coast, will some of the Blue Chippers/established stars (I'm talking 'bout you, Yanni) who got the grades/scores, will follow him over?

D3
I'd bet Yianni stays and Vito too. Mike Grey has the relationship with his light weights and they are from NY. But I'd also bet a few others will bolt.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:44 pm

The transfer portal closes on 6/1 and it's Memorial Day weekend. If any Cornell guys want to jump it's probably going to be difficult.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat May 29, 2021 5:47 pm

Yianni still has a sore ass over having Oliver in the same room and eventually losing to him at the Olympic Trials. He wants no part of Koll.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:51 pm

Willie Saylor of The Open Mat is also posting that Rob's headed to Stanford, but his source is Mineo.

I'm old enough to remember the NY Daily News headline reading "It's Reagan and Ford!" late in the 1980 Republican convention. That didn't happen either. Let's wait a bit.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat May 29, 2021 5:57 pm

D3 for LU wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 pm Here's an interesting question.

D3
How could these guys, who only got into Cornell because of lowered academic credentials of SUNY Ithaca, get accepted into Stanford? Does the latter lower its standards *that* much?

And I'm pretty sure Yanni's college eligibility has long since run out.

A more serious question: do you think that all these Blue Chippers/established stars went to Cornell solely because of Rob Koll, such that his departure would cause them to do the same? All these NY/NJ/OH guys moving from NY to California because of the head coach, whose coaching has likely taken a back seat for a decade to guys like Hahn, Grey, Dean, and Dake?

Trumpeting Cornell wrestling's demise is a bit premature, I think.