Mark Lieberman

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Mark Lieberman

Post by Oracle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:07 am

Nary a word about one of Lehigh's very best all-time wrestlers?

His last 3 years, he lost once in a dual and once in the NCAA finals -- both sophomore year.
68-2 his last 3 years with 36 falls!!! As great as Caruso was and as fun to watch as he was, Mark Lieberman was more dominant in the Eichelberger and Pendleton mold only more so. Plus, he was a tremendous freestyler.

I don't think anyone would argue too vigorously if someone said he was Lehigh's best ever.

Congratulations on your induction into the national wrestling hall of fame.

LU808

Re: Mark Lieberman

Post by LU808 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:52 am

Many good memories of Mike and Mark Liberman at the Fiji House.
legger

Post by legger » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am

**** Mark was one tough hombre. I remember when Bill Closson was our Hwt., we did not have a real back up for him to scrimmage/practice with. Coach brought in Mark and Bernie Brown. I was at practice when Mark was his opponent. At the time Mark was a chunky 215-220, but could still move. They were going at it in the far corner of the mat. Mark was definitely getting the best of it, which included 3-4 throws to the back. After one high amplitude throw, in my excitement I said "Wow"! Mark heard me and came running over and stood over me and in a menacing manner said: "Please keep quiet, I have to really concentrate to still be able to do this". Needless to said I was a quiet as a church mouse after that.

I was also there when Bill went against Bernie. I had told Bill earlier that Bernie really will not do much, as he is so strong he doesn't have to. I said he will just hold you down with one arm, but that is all he needs. During the match, things went about as I said, but all of a sudden Bernie pulled Bill back from a referee position and pinned him. The next time, he did the same thing. Afterwards, Bill came over to me and said, "You didn't tell me he was Funky".

Great memories.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:21 am

Great stories