Gaige Garcia

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Re: Gaige Garcia

Post by TMH » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:28 pm

So now that the 2-sport experiment is official, what are expectations for 197# because once again I'm going to urge fans to temper the enthusiasm.

Football, of course, ends with the Lehigh-Lafayette game on 11/20. There will be a matter of adjusting the weight, change from football ready to wrestling ready while throwing in his 1st set of final exams at Lehigh. At best he makes an appearance at those All Day Duals just before Christmas but I don't expect to see him until perhaps Binghamton in early January. We have no idea how much wrestling he has gotten in during the last 2 years. At Michigan, I'll assume he didn't get in the room until January, he wrestled no bouts and had to deal with all the Covid restrictions.

Personally, I'm not sure we'll know what he really can do until Easterns. Now where did I put those rose-colored glasses :-)

D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:43 am

... did you check on top of your head? :P
;)
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:35 am

First time I've been called a blind follower of DRD. Hardly. We have had many disagreements but he is a friend so it never get ugly. Anyone who supports LU wrestling I would consider a friend and not a foe. That includes Spladle.

What I object to, and have always objected to, are personal attacks. It's a sign of someone not smart enough, not to mention devoid of patience, to make a persuasive argument. There are exceptions: mookie calling Spladle a dick is more funny than insulting. To wit -- Spladle agreed!
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:25 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:28 pm So now that the 2-sport experiment is official, what are expectations for 197# because once again I'm going to urge fans to temper the enthusiasm.

Football, of course, ends with the Lehigh-Lafayette game on 11/20. There will be a matter of adjusting the weight, change from football ready to wrestling ready while throwing in his 1st set of final exams at Lehigh. At best he makes an appearance at those All Day Duals just before Christmas but I don't expect to see him until perhaps Binghamton in early January. We have no idea how much wrestling he has gotten in during the last 2 years. At Michigan, I'll assume he didn't get in the room until January, he wrestled no bouts and had to deal with all the Covid restrictions.

Personally, I'm not sure we'll know what he really can do until Easterns. Now where did I put those rose-colored glasses :-)
The FCS championship game is normally played in mid-January, so there's no guarantee that the season ends with the L-L game. Assuming it does, there are bound to be the usual Christmas-New Year's open tourneys and I expect his first wrestling appearance would be in those. A dual meet debut against Binghamton sounds reasonable.

Another possibility is that he defers this year. He could do four years of football, defer his first year in wrestling and then do three half-seasons and one full season in wrestling. That's assuming that the reality of two sports plus a full course load don't come crashing down at some point.

I just looked at a few videos of Garcia wrestling and, while I was originally thinking that he might do better at 184, I'm not sure that's possible. He's usually about the same height as the guys he's wrestling, and he's very stocky -- thick waist, thick thighs -- so I don't know how much he could cut while staying effective. Assuming he was really weighing 195 in those bouts, he'll probably be at 197.
legger

Post by legger » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:33 pm

JDA said: "I just looked at a few videos of Garcia wrestling and, while I was originally thinking that he might do better at 184, I'm not sure that's possible. He's usually about the same height as the guys he's wrestling, and he's very stocky -- thick waist, thick thighs -- so I don't know how much he could cut while staying effective. Assuming he was really weighing 195 in those bouts, he'll probably be at 197".

**** I agree he is a solidly built guy, (100% muscle). If he were to cut, he would just be giving up power and probably mobility, because when you are put together like that, what you have is very usable. Being tall and rangy has some advantages, but being solid/chiseled is just fine with me.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:52 pm

How do you make a persuasive arguement against nonsense? Brings up the old don’t fight with idiots because they’ll drag you down to their level and so on…. Argue with relevant facts not historical markers that no longer apply…. He uses the old if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS…. There is no persuasive arguement against that…. So we gator roll….

Why zero matches for Garcia last year other than the obvious red shirt/covid answer….it was a free year correct? Injury? Michigan wrestled many extra matches (averaged 5 or 6 per dual) but he was never involved?
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:11 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:52 pm How do you make a persuasive arguement against nonsense? Brings up the old don’t fight with idiots because they’ll drag you down to their level and so on…. Argue with relevant facts not historical markers that no longer apply…. He uses the old if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS…. There is no persuasive arguement against that…. So we gator roll….

Why zero matches for Garcia last year other than the obvious red shirt/covid answer….it was a free year correct? Injury? Michigan wrestled many extra matches (averaged 5 or 6 per dual) but he was never involved?
>>>>>> Good question about no bouts for Garcia. It could also be that he had made up his mind he was going to transfer and didn't see the need to risk injury in a year that meant nothing.

As for Denny: most on this forum know him and like him so your arguments are bound to fall on deaf hears. Perhaps you've never heard this before but there's always somebody who thinks you're an asshole. As you age I suspect you will learn to accept that. I have.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:17 pm

“Perhaps you’ve never heard this before but there’s always somene who thinks your’e an asshole….”

Yes ! That’s me….i think he’s an asshole, correct, why do you guys keep making my point for me? Although i said asshat not asshole but no point in arguing semantics….and he’s free to be an asshat, until he turns that unique super power in my direction…
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:09 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:17 pm “Perhaps you’ve never heard this before but there’s always somene who thinks your’e an asshole….”

Yes ! That’s me….i think he’s an asshole, correct, why do you guys keep making my point for me? Although i said asshat not asshole but no point in arguing semantics….and he’s free to be an asshat, until he turns that unique super power in my direction…
Spladle is great. :D
I don't know about Asshats, but I do know a fair bit about assholes.
The mean age at presentation is 44 years, but ranges from 20 to over 90 with a decidedly higher proportion of males. Grade I are the most troublesome. The first described report on the management dates back to the 16th century, but likely occurrence millennials before.

Remember my first case of anorectal trauma as a 2nd year Intern back in late 1950s. Most common 40% + is the beer bottle insertion followed by the lightbulb in the storied history of anorectal trauma. Glass and assholes are a poor combination. Orthopedics we don't have to deal with too many assholes. My license plate, "LEG MAN", not "ASSMAN". :-)

So will LEHIGH have an All-American in 2021?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:38 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:27 pm The GG deal with Lehigh is officially confirmed.

Time to go back into my cave, letting Mookie call Spladle names, something I never did at least in June.

Sincerely, an avid fan of publications (unsure how much mine has earned but likely North of $400k)
so GG1 is on track