Has The Gap Suddenly Gotten Wider?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Has The Gap Suddenly Gotten Wider?

Post by TMH » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:36 am

jdalu75

Re: Has The Gap Suddenly Gotten Wider?

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:47 pm

I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what the Court ruled on. It sounds like some schools were going beyond what the NCAA considered reasonable in paying education-related expenses. The Court ruled against the NCAA. The NY Times reported it this way:

"In Monday’s decision, Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, writing for the court, took a measured approach, saying his task was merely to assess a limited injunction entered by a trial judge, one that allowed payments for things like musical instruments, scientific equipment, postgraduate scholarships, tutoring, study abroad, academic awards and internships. It did not permit the outright payment of salaries."

That sounds kind of modest to me. I hate to think that an athlete who's forced to miss class due to sports-related travel has to pay for his own tutoring in order to keep up. As always, the wealthier schools will be able to come up with more money; no surprise there.

The 9-0 ruling, though, suggests that the Court may be open to subsequent legal actions regarding compensation for athletes. The ultimate impact of such rulings is far from clear. The main complaint is that the big schools, and their coaches and administrators, make a fortune off the major sports' media revenue, while the players receive a relative pittance. That assumes that the colleges are making big money. Smaller schools, whose athletic programs break even or lose money, have nothing to share with their athletes. Larger programs may be reined in by subsequent legislation reducing the coaches' and administrators' compensation. So instead of widening the gap, the gap could actually narrow. It won't happen that way, of course, but that's what it looks like from where I'm sitting.
HFO

Re: Has The Gap Suddenly Gotten Wider?

Post by HFO » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:46 am

The suite of benefits will expand for wealthier schools. Tuition, Room and Board, Books & Supplies, Tutoring, and travel to home 2-3 times per year, but biggest will be a CASH stipend. That is where modest will escalate to big and differential by conference and school. What will be interesting is whether it will be viewed by schools as a collective bargaining for all athletes to get same package or as individual negotiable contracts.