Cornell staff additions

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Cornell staff additions

Post by Oracle » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:29 am

Today's announcement of Donnie Vinson returning as Asst Head Coach and Kellen Russell as 1st Asst is good news for the Big Rad faithful. Both have deep experience at major programs. Each has recruiting ties; one in upstate NY and one in NJ. Mike Grey is off to a good start.

mookie

Re: Cornell staff additions

Post by mookie » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:34 pm

6/10
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:06 pm

I guess that means Dake is off the coaching staff since my understanding is that a team can only have three paid coaches and a volunteer and Gwiz is the volunteer. Or can a team have multiple volunteers?
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:48 pm

whiz wit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:06 pm I guess that means Dake is off the coaching staff since my understanding is that a team can only have three paid coaches and a volunteer and Gwiz is the volunteer. Or can a team have multiple volunteers?
1 volunteer. However, others could be paid by the RTC and Dake can practice with the team to a certain extent as an alum as can Perelli. Depends on how long since graduation. You get two Olympic cycles after graduation to practice as much as you want. After that the phrase is occasionally.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 am

I won't be surprised if Dake wins an Olympic Gold and writes his ticket to head coach at a major program of his choice. A month ago, I'd have bet on his home area as that choice but there might be ripples in the water continuing after the departures of Rob and his Deans.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:12 am

drd5748 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 am I won't be surprised if Dake wins an Olympic Gold and writes his ticket to head coach at a major program of his choice. A month ago, I'd have bet on his home area as that choice but there might be ripples in the water continuing after the departures of Rob and his Deans.

>>>>>> Agree, but Grey was always going to be the choice with Dake training for Olympics. Besides, he has more experience. The best wrestlers don't always make the best coaches. Dake's father was his HS coach, but observing his mat side demeanor, KDake has some maturing to do. He would be a natural for a revived Syracuse team. Maybe someone should put that deal together with the SU athletic Dept. Start women's wrestling at the same time.
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 am

"The best wrestlers don't always make the best coaches."

There is a lot of truth to that but it made me think that arguably the 2 most successful coaches in NCAA history were also 2 of the most accomplished wrestlers. So there is that :-)
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:31 am

TMH wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 am "The best wrestlers don't always make the best coaches."

There is a lot of truth to that but it made me think that arguably the 2 most successful coaches in NCAA history were also 2 of the most accomplished wrestlers. So there is that :-)
>>>>>>> So who did you leave out? John Smith, Dan Gable or Cael Sanderson. Not to mention Myron Roderick, Gray Simons, and so on and so on. Your point is taken, but doesn't change my statement.
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:48 am

I wasn't trying to change your statement, simply making an observation.

Smith was an outstanding wrestler and coached 5 NCAA Championship teams over 30 years, significant accomplishments. Gable and Sanderson however are in a league of their own IMO. Just something to talk about.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:24 am

TMH wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:48 am I wasn't trying to change your statement, simply making an observation.

Smith was an outstanding wrestler and coached 5 NCAA Championship teams over 30 years, significant accomplishments. Gable and Sanderson however are in a league of their own IMO. Just something to talk about.
>>>>>>> But it was John Smith who had the best International career winning 6 world and Olympic titles along with the Sullivan Award (first wrestler to do so). Simply making an observation. :D