Caden Rogers

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Re: Caden Rogers

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:14 pm

Wrestling is in the end a small community at the D1 level…. In this era of texting, instagram, snapchat and other social media and so on I refuse to believe that a wrestlers injury or “ding” is not known if another wrestler or team wishes to find out….not letting the home fans know that a wrestler is injured and will be out for a certain period of time is not sacrosanct….Dont even say why, just say so and so will be out of action for 3 weeks minimum, for 2 weeks whatever….. there would be no college wrestling if it wasn't for the fans, boosters and so on….. if i’m a casual Lehigh Wrestling fan a few years ago and i pay my money to go to a duel and Darian Cruz just doesnt wrestle and who knows when he will again i would be pissed….. doesnt mean “dick” to me that the insiders know why, or think i shouldnt ask….what part of “growing” wrestling does that scenario help?
Last edited by Spladle1989 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:59 pm

>>just curious: if an unranked wrestler accepts at a college, is he by definition a "recruit"? I mean, Luke Duthie?

>>>drd5748 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:05 am....Way more unranked recruits than ranked, even some 3x PA placers

You replied: Doesn't answer the question. Did Cornell go out and recruit him? Did they go out and recruit everyone who ever shows up on their roster, or did some of them get in without being pursued?

..... If anyone cares (as you do) then Cornell will have to answer it. All interim commitment anncts are made by the kid, not the school, until their one year-end univ annct.

You added: I got four varsity letters in track at Cornell, but I wasn't a "recruit" by any stretch.

.... I'm pretty sure we all agree what a "walk-in" status. Thx for confirming that you were.

p.s. I gather you're asking this question that we can't answer because you want to diminish Rogers' win over him.
In what way does the question enhance our EIWA and our sport? In other words, something meaningful seems preferable.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:51 am

drd5748 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:59 pm
p.s. I gather you're asking this question that we can't answer because you want to diminish Rogers' win over him.
In what way does the question enhance our EIWA and our sport? In other words, something meaningful seems preferable.
You gather wrong. I honestly don't know if everyone who makes a commitment was recruited.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:22 am

My definition. A true "walk on" is an athlete, in a sport, is some whose coaching staff did not contact Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Housing, etc, in his regard. A preferred walk on would be some who contacted one such organization in his regard, but for whom no athletic financial aid was provided. I suspect that the Liebermans were preferred walk-ons because I suspect Thad at least contacted Admissions to make sure that nothing got screwed up.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:56 am

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:22 am My definition. A true "walk on" is an athlete, in a sport, is some whose coaching staff did not contact Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Housing, etc, in his regard. A preferred walk on would be some who contacted one such organization in his regard, but for whom no athletic financial aid was provided. I suspect that the Liebermans were preferred walk-ons because I suspect Thad at least contacted Admissions to make sure that nothing got screwed up.
I would think that a true walk on is not guaranteed a roster spot, while a preferred walk on is. The Yankees' Brett Gardner was a true walk on at the College of Charleston. The baseball coach there was so impressed that he cut Gardner after less than one week. Gardner showed up for practice the next day anyway, telling the coach that he was going to earn a scholarship eventually. He stayed on the roster, eventually got the scholarship, and he's still playing (sort of).
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:31 am

Gardner is very fast and that's how he's stuck around...sort of.

Fasted recorded time - home to first base: Mickey Mantle was clocked at 3.1 (fastest documented time in MLB)

Bo Jackson was timed at 3.2 (3.65 from the right side).

Deion Sanders was timed at 3.3.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:42 am

How about preferred walk on is "expected to have a roster spot". Even a scholarship Athlete athlete could lose his roster spot. Imagine a guy entering school and become a wild partier
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 am

Ok, you weren't sure about walk-ons. Technically, you could probably argue that many Ivy commitments are walk-ons since none of them sign letters of intent (no athletic scholarships, although most have wrestling credentials). Immunity to 9.9 a big deal. The no NLOI is a big reason why Ivies are free to steal recruits in the last few months. Doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to, for reasons unknown. Probably the friction caused; maybe the big online article written: "The Ivy's Dirty Secret" (written by Ivies).

At any rate, walk-ons are definitely common fare. One advantage is that schools which do give rides don't have to count walk-ons toward their 9.9. Reason: "they got in on their own" (academics) -- and the ncaa can't control those.
Then there's a school's minority program .... and I've never been sure exactly how that works. But I doubt it works for a minority kid who's highly recruited nationally.

Excellent point by Spladle about our small Div I community. There are smaller ones (men's gymnastics for one; lacrosse), but many quite a bit bigger. It's much easier to make friends within wrestling than bigtime football,hoops
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Rogers looked good in first bout against Rasmussen of SD. Got caught in a leg lace late in first period for 7 points. Otherwise he looked solid. A little puking on camera into the bucket to set the tone.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:33 pm

Rogers twice threw Rasmussen to his back, the second time for the fall; also reversed Rasmussen onto his back. Rasmussen's points all came off a single move where he couldn't have possibly pinned Rogers.

Rogers a lot shorter than his opponent; he'll fit right in on our team. He looked good -- aggressive, his moves worked. My opinion is that he could make 184.