Covid's not finished with us yet

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Covid's not finished with us yet

Post by jdalu75 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:09 pm

From today's New York Times:

Major League Baseball scheduled just one game on Thursday, putting the Yankees and the Boston Red Sox in the national spotlight at Yankee Stadium to start the nominal second half of the season. Then an unwelcome intruder got in the way.

Two and a half hours before the scheduled start time, just after the Yankees had hurriedly pulled the team off the field and canceled batting practice, M.L.B. postponed the game because three Yankees pitchers — Nestor Cortes Jr., Jonathan Loaisiga and Wandy Peralta, each of whom is vaccinated — had tested positive for the coronavirus. General Manager Brian Cashman said three other players had tested positive through multiple rapid tests, and that the team expected those players’ laboratory tests to also come back positive.

The Yankees have reached the 85 percent vaccination rate M.L.B. requires to operate under relaxed Covid protocols, but Cashman said the team had again experienced breakthrough cases, two months after an outbreak of nine cases, mostly within the coaching staff.

“It doesn’t prevent you from contracting Covid; it prevents you from the severe, worst-case effects of Covid,” Cashman said. “We’re thankful that we’re vaccinated in most cases — not in all cases — and therefore we’re ultimately protected.”

I now fully expect that the 2021-22 college sports season will be impacted. We're going to see wrestlers on the shelf and duals canceled again. And I'm sorry for being blunt, but I blame the morons who refuse to be vaccinated for whatever stupid reason they can come up with. There's no reason for this; we're doing it to ourselves.

Spladle1989

Re: Covid's not finished with us yet

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:54 pm

First off let me say outright I’m vaccinated….. but blaming those who are not is ignorant…. If you have the vaccine you can get the virus, if you don’t have the vaccine you can get the virus….. if you have the vaccine you can spread the virus, if you don’t have the vaccine you can spread the virus…..

If people choose not to get vaccinated they are taking the risk knowingly….. assuming they are just ignorant or they would get the vaccine is self righteous and very much a greater than thou attitude….. I’m tired of the whole covid vaccine arguement….. get on with it, allow people who choose to “risk their lives” as you see it, to do just that….. but get back at it….

My wife who is a trauma RN gave shots for NYS thru the whole crisis 5 days a week, 12 hours a day….. till there was no one left to give them to even with giveaways and money offers and college scholarship offers, if you havent had the shot by now your not going to and no amount of “teaching” by those who “know better” will change your mind…. That’s their choice and we should respect them and ourselves by getting on with living…..

Did i say i’m tired of covid forums?
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 pm

Congratulations on getting the vaccine. However your inability to interpret data is a bit disturbing.

AAA recently reported that hazardous driving can cause accidents. Those who drive safely can also get in accidents. So why drive safely? Let's do away with traffic laws. If hazardous drivers want to risk their lives, let them. Of course, they will also impact others too.

Enjoy your summer and drive safely!!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:47 am

You might not like the tone of the original post, but the bottom line is the bottom line:

COVID is not done with us yet.

It will be an interesting fall and winter sports season -- until there is something like Tamiflu to kill the virus.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:43 am

TMH, but in your example those who drive safely but still get in "accidents" haven't gotten some kind of wonder injection to prevent from them getting "that" badly injured. So those endangered by "hazardous" drivers don't have a safety net around them that prevents them from getting "that badly injured".

Data can be interpreted many different ways, comparisons could be made and so on....but as my son who is a ER NP in the largest children's hospital in the midwest says to me every time I've talked to him thru this crisis, "people have to realize there are way worse things happening to children than covid going on out there, things need to get going again".......

Everybody has their opinion on this pandemic and what the "end" of this pandemic looks like, I respect JDA's opinion but completely disagree.......
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 am

For people determined to refuse any shots whatsoever, this is just one more disease in the long list they’ve decided to let other people be responsible for protecting them against.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:46 am

... bingo ...

D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:22 pm

Double bingo. I respect everyone's opinion on this -- especially Spladle's hard-working wife within this crisis-- but it's extra frustrating that too high a pct of unvaccinated folks are from certain parts of the country regardless of age. It's a global crisis and important that all nations do their best start-to-finish. Not getting vaccinated isn't the best.

Even some athletes have been disappointing with some saying, with ample advance opportunity: "I was concerned about the possible side effects of the vaccination." Gimme a break, man; young, fit people are the least likely to have extended problems. If concerned about that ..... ?
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:27 pm

You can argue about statistics till the cows come home, but there are roughly 500 people a day still dying from Covid. That comes out to about 180,000 deaths per year. And the sad FACT is 99.9% of them are entirely preventable at this point if people would just get the d*mned vaccine. People who are dying have not been vaccinated. People who have been vaccinated are not dying. Period.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:54 pm

A little irony among states tendencies:

New Hampshire, whose motto is 'live free or die', ranks 7th in the pct of vaccinations (the N/E dominates with 9 of the top 11)

Oregon, is ranked 12th while a leader in the right to die movement

Am sure most of you know the bottom states: Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Wyoming, Idaho. The worst N/E state? West Virginia, one of the least educated. Enough said.