The Olympics

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
gimpeltf

Re: The Olympics

Post by gimpeltf » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:06 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:27 pm .... Or less. The rest of the world isn't listening. The only way we make a dent internationally is freestyle. Dan Gable just admitted we're really bad at Greco; doesn't know why we can't do better.
To me, why is obvious. It's because of folkstyle.
In other countries, you go or are steered in one sport's direction or the other. Wrestling-wise you go free or greco.Yes, they have their own folkstyles, but I doubt they work towards scholarships in those folkstyles that require spending considerable training in them like here. If a kid here spends a ton of time on greco it will likely affect his HS collegiate ability and hence his chances at a scholarship. As a result, our best athletes go freestyle (if int'l styles at all). Until we can figure out how to get a significant block of top level athletes going greco, we're going to suck at it. I'm not suggesting we get rid of folk but if we can somehow entice more into it early on enough with the same chance at financial success in the sport

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:17 am

I would rate greco slightly higher than synchronized swimming and ping pong.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:44 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:17 am I would rate greco slightly higher than synchronized swimming and ping pong.
Please. It's Table Tennis. And that takes incredible talent and reflexes.
In a similar vein, I used to look down on Badminton as a kids game until I spent a couple of years in Canada and belonged to a club that had indoor Badminton courts. They would often have international tournaments there. Again. incredible talent and reflexes. Enjoyed watching it in the Olympics.
Now synchronized swimming - that's just weird.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:15 pm

JAD77 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:44 pm
whiz wit wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:17 am I would rate greco slightly higher than synchronized swimming and ping pong.
Please. It's Table Tennis. And that takes incredible talent and reflexes.
In a similar vein, I used to look down on Badminton as a kids game until I spent a couple of years in Canada and belonged to a club that had indoor Badminton courts. They would often have international tournaments there. Again. incredible talent and reflexes. Enjoyed watching it in the Olympics.
Now synchronized swimming - that's just weird.
I'd rate table tennis higher than regular "court" tennis, which to me is slow, boring and overly long. Don't like baseball either for the same reasons.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:54 pm

Yeah the NFL is so exciting. A team scores a touchdown, the game goes to commercial. Ten minutes later, it comes back on. The team kicks off. Touchback. Then more commercials! Three plays then a video review for 5 minutes, a TV or regular timeout, penalty for brushing up against somebody, another penalty for hitting someone other than within a 3" area and then the two minute warning. And all the time listening to Joe Buck.

You can all watch the NFL if you want. I just think that there are a million more important, fun, enjoyable things I can be doing with my Sunday—such as cleaning my toilet with my tongue, getting neutered, or getting attacked and eaten by a shark.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:02 pm

mookie wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:54 pm You can all watch the NFL if you want. I just think that there are a million more important, fun, enjoyable things I can be doing with my Sunday—such as cleaning my toilet with my tongue, getting neutered, or getting attacked and eaten by a shark.
I think I might enjoy watching that...commercials and all :-)
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:40 pm

mookie wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:54 pm Yeah the NFL is so exciting. A team scores a touchdown, the game goes to commercial. Ten minutes later, it comes back on. The team kicks off. Touchback. Then more commercials! Three plays then a video review for 5 minutes, a TV or regular timeout, penalty for brushing up against somebody, another penalty for hitting someone other than within a 3" area and then the two minute warning. And all the time listening to Joe Buck.

You can all watch the NFL if you want. I just think that there are a million more important, fun, enjoyable things I can be doing with my Sunday—such as cleaning my toilet with my tongue, getting neutered, or getting attacked and eaten by a shark.
Don't watch football either. Or basketball. Or hockey. Or soccer.
Fan of a few of the less popular sports and that's it.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:22 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:02 pm
mookie wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:54 pm You can all watch the NFL if you want. I just think that there are a million more important, fun, enjoyable things I can be doing with my Sunday—such as cleaning my toilet with my tongue, getting neutered, or getting attacked and eaten by a shark.
I think I might enjoy watching that...commercials and all :-)
After all, you could root for the shark.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:25 pm

whiz wit wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:40 pm Don't watch football either.
George Will -- “Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Used to be true but for the most part N.F.L. teams no longer are allowed to block and tackle. A modern N.F.L. game is more like a glorified game of touch football. No one gets knocked around. If someone is on the ground, he probably tripped. Tom Brady can play forever now because nobody is allowed to touch him.