The Olympics

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

The Olympics

Post by whiz wit » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Opening ceremonies Friday. Most interested in swimming, wrestling, track & field, triathlon and water polo. No interest in the big spectator sports in this country. Hope the un-American women's soccer team or any other team or person who uses the Olympic platform to embarrass his or their country goes medal less. Not a fan of politicizing sports - especially in the Olympics. I know this has nothing to do with Lehigh wrestling but what else is there to write about at this time of year?

jdalu75

Re: The Olympics

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:37 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 pm Not a fan of politicizing sports - especially in the Olympics.
There are those who don't think the opening ceremonies should have flags and countries -- just welcome the athletes pell-mell.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 pm Opening ceremonies Friday. Most interested in swimming, wrestling, track & field, triathlon and water polo. No interest in the big spectator sports in this country. Hope the un-American women's soccer team or any other team or person who uses the Olympic platform to embarrass his or their country goes medal less. Not a fan of politicizing sports - especially in the Olympics. I know this has nothing to do with Lehigh wrestling but what else is there to write about at this time of year?
Let us know where and how protests are acceptable. I'm sure there are many who would like to know what you think is okay.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:07 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 pm
whiz wit wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 pm Opening ceremonies Friday. Most interested in swimming, wrestling, track & field, triathlon and water polo. No interest in the big spectator sports in this country. Hope the un-American women's soccer team or any other team or person who uses the Olympic platform to embarrass his or their country goes medal less. Not a fan of politicizing sports - especially in the Olympics. I know this has nothing to do with Lehigh wrestling but what else is there to write about at this time of year?
Let us know where and how protests are acceptable. I'm sure there are many who would like to know what you think is okay

Nice try. My posting was about the Olympics. I don't purport to be ready to lay the ground rules for civilization at large.

As to JDA, I have no desire to put myself in the universe of "citizens of the world" where "the world" consists of many places of which I want no part.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Let us know where and how protests are acceptable. I'm sure there are many who would like to know what you think is okay.
On your home soil.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:35 pm

LU808 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 pm
On your home soil.
Much more effective when the whole world is watching. The protest of John Carlos and Tommie Smith 53 years ago in Mexico City still resonates today.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pm

I will also, as a Pennsylvanian, follow the women's field hockey team. 23 of the 31 on the Roster are from our Commonwealth.

Also Slalom Canoe and Kayaking, Sprint Canoe and Kayaking, Rowing, and Bicycling.

To expand on Whiz's statement. M+W Tennis, M+W Golf, M Basketball, M Baseball, M Soccer, M Ice Hockey do not belong in the Olympics. The First two sports normally have 16 shots at a grand slam event before the next Olympics (12 this Olympiad). And no way Olympic Gold means more than the Annual, NHL Title, World Series Baseball, Stanley Cup, and for Hockey their World Cup, European Cup, American Cup (CAPA?)
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 pm

JAD77 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:35 pm
LU808 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 pm

On your home soil.
Much more effective when the whole world is watching. The protest of John Carlos and Tommie Smith 53 years ago in Mexico City still resonates today.
And not in a good way for a lot of us.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:00 am

.... and this isn't 1968.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:21 am

>>>I have no desire to put myself in the universe of "citizens of the world" where "the world" consists of many places of which I want no part.

... So I guess you've never qualified to compete in the Olympics?