The Olympics

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: The Olympics

Post by mookie » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:07 pm

Future Olympic events might include grass throwing, window blind drawing, and various others. I deem the winners of each of these events one of the greatest athletes in the world.

Anyone know any surfers, kyakers, weightlifters? Why are we holding an event with such irrelevant sports in such high regard? The Olympics are all hype and tradition. It only seems special because everyone’s afraid to acknowledge that it isn’t that special.

Snyder makes every offensive move but loses to the Russian tank because his shoulders were ever so slightly exposed. We’re hyping up 2 weeks of nonsense over what is mostly tradition and nationalism.

LU808

Post by LU808 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:14 pm

Many if these minor / irrelevant "sports" should be better classified as hobbies.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:25 pm

mookie wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:07 pm Future Olympic events might include grass throwing, window blind drawing, and various others. I deem the winners of each of these events one of the greatest athletes in the world.

Anyone know any surfers, kyakers, weightlifters? Why are we holding an event with such irrelevant sports in such high regard? The Olympics are all hype and tradition. It only seems special because everyone’s afraid to acknowledge that it isn’t that special.

Snyder makes every offensive move but loses to the Russian tank because his shoulders were ever so slightly exposed. We’re hyping up 2 weeks of nonsense over what is mostly tradition and nationalism.
>>>>>> Couldn't agree more. RE: Snyder bout: he 'should have' won....but he knew the rules and the Tank knew the rules. Tough outcome.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Why is it that Forum posters enjoy belittling other athletes. Does the anonymity help explain it?
------------------------------------
>>>Dake didn't look good in his opener against a non star. Must have eaten some bad sushi.

TRANSLATION for those who don't speak jive: Kyle lost to the Olympic Silver medalist, from a country in the Top 6 in men's Olympic freestyle; Top 10 all wrestling. He's a former European champ (impressive) and Russian champ (awesome).

More importantly he seemed to scout Dake extensively, likely more than he got scouted. The Belarussian countered every move Dake tried, quite successfully at that. Spotting Dake's initial bear hug bid, he stuck him for 4 pts, then stayed calm and collected while Kyle seemed to panic, seemingly earlier than necessary.

Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau might not have been a "star" to some pre-Olympics but when you beat not one but TWO 2-time World Champions in back-to-back bouts to reach an Olympic Final you are definitely one now. In semis, he beat Italy's Frank Chamizo, 9-8, a World 1,1,2,5.

Do I have to add that scoring 20 pts vs the two of them was incredible? Dake beat Chamizo 5-0 for his bronze
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:48 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:28 pm Why is it that Forum posters enjoy belittling other athletes. Does the anonymity help explain it?
------------------------------------
>>>Dake didn't look good in his opener against a non star. Must have eaten some bad sushi.

TRANSLATION for those who don't speak jive: Kyle lost to the Olympic Silver medalist, from a country in the Top 6 in men's Olympic freestyle; Top 10 all wrestling. He's a former European champ (impressive) and Russian champ (awesome).

More importantly he seemed to scout Dake extensively, likely more than he got scouted. The Belarussian countered every move Dake tried, quite successfully at that. Spotting Dake's initial bear hug bid, he stuck him for 4 pts, then stayed calm and collected while Kyle seemed to panic, seemingly earlier than necessary.

Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau might not have been a "star" to some pre-Olympics but when you beat not one but TWO 2-time World Champions in back-to-back bouts to reach an Olympic Final you are definitely one now. In semis, he beat Italy's Frank Chamizo, 9-8, a World 1,1,2,5.

Do I have to add that scoring 20 pts vs the two of them was incredible? Dake beat Chamizo 5-0 for his bronze
Gee, Denny, I know you live on the edge of your seat just waiting to pounce on somebody in order to show your superiority, but Dake's opener wasn't against the guy who beat him. It was against an Iranian whose most recent accomplishment was a bronze at the 2018 Asian Championships. Considering Dake's results in recent world championships against some top flight wrestlers, yes, a 4-0 win over this guy was unimpressive.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:51 pm

..Anyone know any surfers, kayakers, weightlifters? Why are we holding an event with such irrelevant sports in such high regard? The Olympics are all hype and tradition. It only seems special because everyone’s afraid to acknowledge that it isn’t that special.

Henning>>>>>> Couldn't agree more. RE: Snyder bout: he 'should have' won....but he knew the rules and the Tank knew the rules. Tough outcome.
-------------
In two days I'll agree with most of the above in LUWN, the good, the bad, the ugly.

I spotted most of the five new sports, then confirmed the existence of five more "events" on an experimental basis.
It's again time for the networks to publish the pct of viewership for every single activity. Facts are more important than personal bias of fans, organizers & sponsors. It's one thing for me to ignore a boring sport; it's incredible to realize one is in existence at all; it's mind-boggling to learn it's been included for 60-90 years.

I've yet to see the full coverage of Kyle's loss but confirmed the Russian's scoring: shot clock, step-out, tilt, TD for his 6 pts. Snyder's late 3 pts were meaningless. I did see the tilt; while it wasn't well past 90, doesn't have to be; he was getting manhandled by The Tank, to go from a shot to his own back. I thought Kyle was lifting too much but he got physically handled. Zero doubt who the better guy was.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:01 pm

So, whiz wit, why are you complaining when I clearly made the mistake? My apologies :evil:

Everybody knows Kyle looked stale in Rd.1 (no biggie; team bonus pts not vital) then clearly worse in Rd.2 - his bronze incl a 5-0 vs. 2x World Chamizo confirms he wasn't seriously ill. Likely the worst USA champ loss in history; worse than Snyder getting pinned in his prior bout with Sadulaev ('got stuck,' but a pin's a pin). I confess if betting, I'd have bet for Dake for gold, slightly ahead of Kyle and ahead of Gable.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:16 pm

Enjoyed the wrestling even though it required major adjustments in my waking hours.

What I did not enjoy were the seemingly endless challenges. I'm afraid they're inevitable as a result of the freestyle rules.

Wrestling is supposed to test a number of attributes in the athlete. One is physical fitness/endurance. Do those extended breaks test that attribute? Nor is it a plus for the spectator.

There are some things I like about freestyle, but for all the somewhat boring mat (in)action in folkstyle, I'll take the latter.

Opinions?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:54 pm

I find freestyle unwatchable. The concept of control in order to score points is missing.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:32 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:54 pm I find freestyle unwatchable. The concept of control in order to score points is missing.
Because you're American and grew up with it. They think us having that much control is unwatchable. They stand the wrestlers up after a few seconds or attempts.