NIL

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

NIL

Post by mookie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:28 am

The NCAA changed it's rules July 1 allowing collegiate athletes to monetize their fame, known in the business as names, images, and likenesses (NIL), for the first time.

Wondering who from Lehigh wrestling could begin profiting off their personal brand?

I'm thinking Gage Garcia has the best shot at getting paid since he's a 2 sport star and he's bright & articulate. I also think Josh Humphrey could make bank based on his skills and movie star looks.

TMH

Re: NIL

Post by TMH » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:34 am

Ironically the first Lehigh athlete to take advantage of this new ruling is a softball player, Carley Barjaktarovich.

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws ... story.html
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Bats left, throws right. The greatest natural advantages an athlete can have in any sport.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:37 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:04 pm Bats left, throws right. The greatest natural advantages an athlete can have in any sport.
None more so than softball. A left handed slap hitter (which Carley is) can be 4 or 5 steps down the line before her bat hits the ball (slight exaggeration but true)

About the NIL...I remember listening to Kim McQuiken talk a few decades ago about the role of boosters in sports. He talked about athletes getting jobs as waiters and boosters would leave a thousand dollar tip or others who got jobs house sitting mansions. He claimed the Pat Sullivan (Heisman Trophy winner) took a pay cut when he went to the NFL. I see a lot of college athletes being sponsored by car dealerships on the horizon. I hope this isn't Pandora's Box.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:18 pm

When I went to LU on FB aid....I got a very lucrative job with Penn Central railroad.

Had a 5 min. "job interview" with an alumni at Penn HQ.

I brought home weekly as much as my dad.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:03 pm

>>> I hope this isn't Pandora's Box.

... or her box just got bigger

... see LU808 post above ... in '75 I visited a wrestler's home; told me he was paying $1 per year.

... compare that to Billy Sheridan who sold his interest in his Pococo summer camp to Lehigh for $1.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:08 am

drd5748 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:03 pm >>> I hope this isn't Pandora's Box.

... or her box just got bigger

... see LU808 post above ... in '75 I visited a wrestler's home; told me he was paying $1 per year.

... compare that to Billy Sheridan who sold his interest in his Pococo summer camp to Lehigh for $1.
Suddenly the argument that the P5 schools have such a major advantage due to the higher stipend or the SUNY issue at Cornell may be moot. Be careful!!
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:39 pm

>>>Bats left, throws right. The greatest natural advantages an athlete can have in any sport.
None more so than softball. A left handed slap hitter (which Carley is) can be 4 or 5 steps down the line before her bat hits the ball (slight exaggeration but true)

...Uh, well, a funny thing happened "on the way to this forum" ... I decided to email LU softball Coach Fran Troyan to ask him the rules on this. His lengthy reply included the fact that, back when Nicole Yozzo played 7-9 yrs ago, he had 3 lefties really good at this (all 15' of them). The competition wasn't too happy since we were already outstanding at pitching & other things -- and there was a crackdown. Suddenly the sec ANY part of the foot over the line in the box, batter was called out. He confirmed that his team was called out 38 times in 1 season.
He now scouts bunters and "slappers" far more carefully, to make sure their success in HS is within the rules. I assume Carly met that criteria since her avg at LU has climbed from low .300's to 471 as jr.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:28 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:39 pm >>>Bats left, throws right. The greatest natural advantages an athlete can have in any sport.

...Uh, well, a funny thing happened "on the way to this forum" ... I decided to email LU softball Coach Fran Troyan to ask him the rules on this. His lengthy reply included the fact that, back when Nicole Yozzo played 7-9 yrs ago, he had 3 lefties really good at this (all 15' of them). The competition wasn't too happy since we were already outstanding at pitching & other things -- and there was a crackdown. Suddenly the sec ANY part of the foot over the line in the box, batter was called out. He confirmed that his team was called out 38 times in 1 season.
He now scouts bunters and "slappers" far more carefully, to make sure their success in HS is within the rules. I assume Carly met that criteria since her avg at LU has climbed from low .300's to 471 as jr.
I think you aged Nicole a bit. :-) She just graduated in 2018 (the year the rule change came into play I believe), just before Carley's arrival.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:39 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:28 pm
drd5748 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:39 pm >>>Bats left, throws right. The greatest natural advantages an athlete can have in any sport.

I think you aged Nicole a bit. :-) She just graduated in 2018 (the year the rule change came into play I believe), just before Carley's arrival.
Yeah, I was thinking that too (I worked for Yoz around 95/96) The twins were born during that time (I think just before I left). Pete brought her up to the booth one meet that year and said I never met her. I disagreed. He thought about it, laughed, and toid her she likely wouldn't remember. This all having been said, it would have been about that long when she started at Lehigh.