Update

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Chico

Re: Update

Post by Chico » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:14 pm

Spladle, my answer to what we should do is pretty much TMH's answer.
Also, If things don't get better dramatically I think state Governors will go back to refusing certain states (like Florida and Texas perhaps) from entering their state without a two week self quarantine with penalties.
I also think they will mandate masks in business facilities. I'm sure more ideas will surface if things get worse. And penalties as well.
You also implied that I called LU808 a lot of things (all but one of which I did not) But we as a people need to discuss the Pandemic as much as possible. And most of all listen to each other and learn.
You are right that some are "dug in" and want to stroke their anger and fear, and discussion with them is wasted time.
Real discussion however is important. You will notice I didn't say anything negative in response to LUEngeer. I understood his logic and tried to correct some of his assumptions. I don't think we're very far apart.
Final question. What has "living their life" got to do with wearing a mask? Seems backwards but if you are going to endanger others then you should comply or go into a bubble some place.

NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:43 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:35 am So let's look at this a different way....what is the endgame here?
As TMH said, the endgame is that those who refuse to get vaccinated (for no good medical reason) will be legally ostracized from most civil activities. No public transportation. No public employment. Limited private employment. No restaurants or bars. No public or private schools (at least none that are worth attending). Go live your lives with those restrictions, so the rest of us can live our lives without fear of getting sick from you.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:53 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:43 pm
Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:35 am So let's look at this a different way....what is the endgame here?
As TMH said, the endgame is that those who refuse to get vaccinated (for no good medical reason) will be legally ostracized from most civil activities. No public transportation. No public employment. Limited private employment. No restaurants or bars. No public or private schools (at least none that are worth attending). Go live your lives with those restrictions, so the rest of us can live our lives without fear of getting sick from you.

Gee...all of a sudden I feel like a Jew in 1940s Germany.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:11 pm

LU808 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:53 pm

As a Jew, I find your comments reprehensible.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:21 pm

And who is checking this? Who is making sure all this is followed?

Do we start a police force dedicated to dealing with this? We have politicians talking defund the police, you have a very angry group of men in blue out there who already feel ostracized, do you think they want to take on this responsibility on top of everything else they are dealing with?

A lot of these thoughts probably seem great in an ivy league think tank.....but in execution/reality not so much. It's great to make rules/mandates, but they don't mean much if they aren't enforced. You aren't talking about a small percentage of the population, you are talking about what maybe 25-30% of the adult population?

Not trying to be argumentative but seriously how do you see this being enforced?
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:46 pm

I'm not an expert but it's happening already and apparently being self policed.

Here are all the colleges that require the vaccine in order to attend live.

https://universitybusiness.com/state-by ... businesses requiring vaccines

Here are businesses requiring the Covid vaccine

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... s-n1275808

That list is 3 weeks old and there has been a lot of additions since

Live Nation and AEG has joined Broadway and a whole host of entertainment venues requiring a vaccine passports

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 518426001/

The list goes on and on and is growing rapidly.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:15 pm

Colleges? Sure….

But the people you really need to reach don’t live in democrat run blue big cities and for the most part aren’t working for “Fortune 500 companies”…. They are self employed or work for smaller businesses (say 50 employees or less)…. Those businesses are currently traumatized or barely getting by due to the lack of workers out there…. Much of that due to the government currently paying people not to work….. you think they want to set a policy that puts them at risk of losing the workers they do have?

As someone who has ownership in two “smaller” sized businesses (a upscale public golf course and a manufacturing company) i will tell you the answer is absolutely not….i will tell you some of the companies who have these “mandates” in place are operating in a don’t ask/don’t tell manner and are not really enforcing the mandate…..

So again, who will?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:17 pm

The season can't come too soon.

There's a rumor about that - contrary to earlier intelligence - Jake is sticking around.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:31 pm

Now that is hard to argue with
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:13 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:11 pm
LU808 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:53 pm

As a Jew, I find your comments reprehensible.
You are certainly free to feel reprehended. I am concerned about losing freedoms.

BTW - half my family are Jewish....so your "as a Jew" comment is immaterial to me.