Update

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JAD77

Re: Update

Post by JAD77 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:56 am

jdalu75 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 pm
I drove up to New Jersey on Wednesday to visit my Mom, who's in a rehab facility awaiting a heart procedure (she's 92) for a couple of days, before heading to Bethlehem today for Greg's service. Thursday morning, before I headed to the center, a new patient at the place tested positive for Covid; all non-essential visits were immediately canceled for the time being until everyone in the place tests negative. The heart procedure may be delayed because, with the positive test in the center, she can't be taken out for preliminary tests. Enough of this. Get the damned vaccine, wear the damned mask, and shut up about how we all have the right to infect our fellow citizens.
jdalu75 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 pm
As members of a society, we all owe certain responsibilities to the society, a social contract if you will - otherwise the entire fabric of society will crumble.
Doing no harm to your fellow citizens is the most basic social responsibility we have, and that truth is encoded in multiple laws and regulations. In truth, it is the foundation of all law.
If you don’t want to get the damned vaccine - fine, but then lock yourself away somewhere where you can’t harm anyone else, because you’ve violated your most basic responsibility to the rest of society.

JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:59 am

Not quite sure how that last post came out as being entirely written by jdalu75. That was my response to his post. Apologies John.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:18 am

+++++++
Chico

Post by Chico » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:54 pm

jdalu75 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 pm

I drove up to New Jersey on Wednesday to visit my Mom, who's in a rehab facility awaiting a heart procedure (she's 92) for a couple of days, before heading to Bethlehem today for Greg's service. Thursday morning, before I headed to the center, a new patient at the place tested positive for Covid; all non-essential visits were immediately canceled for the time being until everyone in the place tests negative. The heart procedure may be delayed because, with the positive test in the center, she can't be taken out for preliminary tests. Enough of this. Get the damned vaccine, wear the damned mask, and shut up about how we all have the right to infect our fellow citizens.
jdalu75 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 pm

As members of a society, we all owe certain responsibilities to the society, a social contract if you will - otherwise the entire fabric of society will crumble.
Doing no harm to your fellow citizens is the most basic social responsibility we have, and that truth is encoded in multiple laws and regulations. In truth, it is the foundation of all law.
If you don’t want to get the damned vaccine - fine, but then lock yourself away somewhere where you can’t harm anyone else, because you’ve violated your most basic responsibility to the rest of society.

Jadd77and jdalu75 wonderfully said! and best wishes for your mom Jdalu25.
Oracle, I had wondered why you hadn't posted. Wow! Eight days! Best wishes to you for an absolutely full recovery!

Sometimes I feel real anger at those who won't stand up and do the right thing in this Pandemic.
But these are trying times for all and I keep telling myself (over and over) that it behooves all of us to just be nice and helpful to others.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:16 pm

So what is your recommendation for the vaxed with breakthrough infections who then unknowingly or otherwise infect everyone else?

Quarantine camps for everyone?
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:39 pm

LU808 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:16 pm So what is your recommendation for the vaxed with breakthrough infections who then unknowingly or otherwise infect everyone else?

Wear f***ing masks until most people are vaccinated and positivity testing is near zero. Really isn't that hard to understand.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:49 pm

LU808 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:16 pm So what is your recommendation for the vaxed with breakthrough infections who then unknowingly or otherwise infect everyone else?

What I'd like to recommend would probably get me banned from this forum. Let's just say that I'm not going to cry too many tears for non-vaccinated victims of Covid from here on in.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Once vaccinated, getting COVID is no different then getting the flu. We never wore masks all these years during flu season.

Vaccinated people should not need to wear masks & if non vaccinated wear masks then what is the problem?

Wrestlers should be required to be vaccinated to be on the team with no excuses.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:38 pm

There are several principles that Lehigh taught me that have formed my decision making throughout my life.

1.) Nothing in life is absolute so everyone needs to learn how to accurately (as possible) access risk. Risk and reward has been a guiding principle for me.

2.) Science begins with a theory but is then heavily tested under every conceivable scenario before it becomes science. In today's world punditry begins and ends in the theory. Do your due diligence and go to the most reliable sources available and not the one you count on to tell you what you want to hear.

Last night I attended the Lehigh freshman rally. Lehigh has been ultra-cautious when dealing with COVID because of it's responsibility to society. The dinner was held in an open air tent (no sides). The rally was held on the UC lawn. Virtually the entire student body and staff were fully vaccinated and the alumni were older and educated so also likely vaccinated

In that almost ideal environment the risk analysis went like this. The odds of a breakthrough case are about 5% or less based on Pfizer and Moderna testing and subsequent evaluation. The odds of a vaccinated person giving it to another vaccinated person then becomes about .25%. The odds of that transfer outdoors is far less and the odds of the transfer causing other than mild symptoms is exponentially less. Sounds like the reward of having the event far outweighed the risk. Now imagine that scenario everywhere. No one required a mask.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:45 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:57 pm Once vaccinated, getting COVID is no different then getting the flu. We never wore masks all these years during flu season.

Vaccinated people should not need to wear masks & if non vaccinated wear masks then what is the problem?

Wrestlers should be required to be vaccinated to be on the team with no excuses.
I don't trust non-vaccinated people to wear masks as far as I can throw them (the people, not the masks). Do you? A certain political segment refuses vaccination mandates and mask mandates, so we can't force them to get vaccinated, we can't force them to wear masks, and we sure as heck can't trust them to wear masks. I, fully vaccinated since March, wear a mask, by choice and not by need, not to protect myself, but to protect others from me in case some anti-vaxxer infects me.