Interesting Ivy Intentions

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Interesting Ivy Intentions

Post by Oracle » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:27 pm

So, it's no secret Max Dean left for PSU most likely due to the uncertainty of Cornell or any other Ivy even having a season. I don't think anyone at any Ivy school could answer the tough question about competition -- or wouldn't. With no medical hardships or actual red shirts available, those Ivy policies are pretty unforgiving. Might as well add in Dean Peterson who just de-committed from Princeton to attend Rutgers. COVID vaxx requirements for all students may not be enough.

As we debate schedules, recruiting and rankings -- best to remember the season may turn to sheiss. No one knows.

Short-term this obviously hurts the Ivies because no other conference approaches COVID like they do. Long-term rival coaches will always be able to point out an athlete's inability to compete when things get dicey. I'll wager that's the discussion that took place with Peterson.

Coach Koll, IMO, falls into this category. He's a professional coach (of sorts) in that coaching is his living. He probably couldn't get a definitive answer from the Cornell administration so when Stanford re-opened up, he was gone. One can hardly blame him.

Of course, there's a lot of speculation here, but what else would explain some of these moves?

NothingMeaningful

Re: Interesting Ivy Intentions

Post by NothingMeaningful » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:03 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:27 pm So, it's no secret Max Dean left for PSU most likely due to the uncertainty of Cornell or any other Ivy even having a season.
That's not why Max Dean left Cornell. He and his brother are anti-vaxxers, and are influenced by everything that goes along with that stance ("Freedom!"). They left Ithaca because of Cornell's and the Ivy League's very tough (some might say too tough) position on COVID-19. Cornell had one or two orders of magnitude lower positivity rate than did PSU last year, if that matters.

If you go to the Cornell COVID dashboard at https://covid.cornell.edu/testing/dashboard/, you'll see that the condition is "New Normal", which among other things indicates

"Campus facilities are configured normally and operate at full capacity (e.g., dining halls, gyms, libraries)."

and

"Cornell-sponsored events, student activities and other gatherings may take place (indoors or outdoors). Rooms can be filled to capacity without special seating arrangements. All individuals, regardless of vaccination status, must wear masks when indoors."

It also indicates that 96% of the on-campus population has been vaccinated.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks for the update on everything going on with Cornell’s stupid covid policy. Thank God they implemented all that to avoid the thousands of deaths experienced at PSU.

And yes, Freedom.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:31 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:12 pm Thanks for the update on everything going on with Cornell’s stupid covid policy. Thank God they implemented all that to avoid the thousands of deaths experienced at PSU.

And yes, Freedom.
F*** off.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:51 pm

Something meaningful is the fact that Gabe Dean did confirm in his video interview with Flo that the brothers anti-vax stance was the key reason for leaving. Few would doubt that it was more complex than that but it was clearly the one publicly specified reason.

Oddly enough, last Nov/Dec the only guarantee I got verbally or in writing was that "the season could not begin before Jan. 1" ....one cancellation (Hofstra) into "the season" the only guarantee finally came when Pitt showed up and wrestled us.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:44 pm

Well damn i think Klehner done got butt hurt…..the vacc or you are an a-hole police dont like facts that don’t drive the agenda…

I’m vaccinated because i believe the data for someone my age…..i’m pretty sure i’d feel different if i was 18-22 years old, but being 53 it’s hard to say…..

I do know if i was Yianni or Vito facing the possibility of another lost season i would be a bit “stressed”…. Yianni is a smart good kid though, he’ll figure it out… don’t know anything about Vito….
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:56 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:03 pm
Oracle wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:27 pm So, it's no secret Max Dean left for PSU most likely due to the uncertainty of Cornell or any other Ivy even having a season.
That's not why Max Dean left Cornell. He and his brother are anti-vaxxers, and are influenced by everything that goes along with that stance ("Freedom!"). They left Ithaca because of Cornell's and the Ivy League's very tough (some might say too tough) position on COVID-19. Cornell had one or two orders of magnitude lower positivity rate than did PSU last year, if that matters.

If you go to the Cornell COVID dashboard at https://covid.cornell.edu/testing/dashboard/, you'll see that the condition is "New Normal", which among other things indicates

"Campus facilities are configured normally and operate at full capacity (e.g., dining halls, gyms, libraries)."

and

"Cornell-sponsored events, student activities and other gatherings may take place (indoors or outdoors). Rooms can be filled to capacity without special seating arrangements. All individuals, regardless of vaccination status, must wear masks when indoors."

It also indicates that 96% of the on-campus population has been vaccinated.

First...ignore the trolls. They are relying on horse de-wormers, so they feel safe.

Your policies and statistics pretty much mirror Lehigh's and a foresee a fairly normal school year but with precautions. Of note, the New Orleans Saints are requiring a vaccine card or very recent COVID tests to attend games.

I must say though, that if anything good came out of last year, it was that Lehigh (which has been an Ivy wannabe for decades) drew a line in the sand and adopted a more rational approach. It was more likely a Patriot League decision but I'm going with it :-)
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:16 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:31 pm
Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:12 pm Thanks for the update on everything going on with Cornell’s stupid covid policy. Thank God they implemented all that to avoid the thousands of deaths experienced at PSU.

And yes, Freedom.
F*** off.
Witty retort.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:26 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:44 pm I do know if i was Yianni or Vito facing the possibility of another lost season i would be a bit “stressed”…. Yianni is a smart good kid though, he’ll figure it out… don’t know anything about Vito….
Yet they both expressed their commitment to Cornell:

https://twitter.com/vArujau/status/1404570637738381317

Retweeted by Josh Saunders and Erik Gibson.

2021-22 rosters shows Arujau (at 125), Lajoie, Moomey, Wilson, Diakomihalis (at 141), Saunders (at 141), Richard (at 149), Merola and Yapoujian (both at157), Ramirez (at 165), Berreyesa and Foca (both at 174), Loew (at 184), Cardenas and Darmstadt (both at 197), and Fernandes/Furman/Janney at 285, among a bunch of others. Doesn't seem like anyone is gone.

And Mountain Hawk is the asshole around here.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:41 am

Never said they didn't express their intent to stay at Cornell, did however say if another season starts appearing to be disappearing they would be stressed......would be too late to change for this year at that point.......

Yianni turns I would guess 23 between this season and next season? He used to come to our practices when my son was a junior and senior and Yianni was a freshman/sophomore...my son is 25 now so assume Yianni is 22/23... If the Ivy bail on another season you wonder if he just doesn't say the hell with it and go Freestyle full time, he's a smart kid he can always go back to finish up and med school but wrestlers have a short shelf life and the clock is ticking.

All speculation sure but the covid winds are a blowing......I honestly hope the Ivies wrestle, makes the season a hell of a lot more interesting from an EIWA stand point