Rob Koll lost recruiting year

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Re: Rob Koll lost recruiting year

Post by TMH » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:11 pm

It's been my experience that any program can become successful if there are enough backers and sponsors to want it to be and will toss in enough money to ensure it happens.

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:01 am

TMH wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 pm
In 1995, the year prior to Greg's arrival, Lehigh was 11-2, won the EIWA, and was 17th in the country.

In 1991, the Board of Trustees. approved allowing up to 8 scholarships. They weren't fully endowed until 2005.
Coupla things, just to help remember the situation at the time. Yes, in 1994-95 we went 11-2 and all, but we did it by finally weakening the schedule, ending the annual Iowa slaughter. The two losses that year were to Navy and Lock Haven. We beat Michigan and Penn State; we also beat Drexel, JMU, and Morgan State. That was also just about the end of the era of no automatic redshirts for freshmen. We had two classes of seniors in the lineup, one of 4th-year seniors (Ed Andres, Brian Cipollone, Rick Hepp) and one of 5th-year seniors (Tom Koch, John McCumber, Steve Cassidy, Andy Fitz). Highly unusual for us back then. It was enough to hold off Navy, Syracuse, and Cornell at EIWAs (we beat the latter two in duals as well). Not sure that many fans noticed that Penn was a close 5th that year, since they'd been a doormat for so long.

We won in 1995 by essentially punting 1994 -- 4-8 dual record, 8th at EIWAs (tied for our lowest-ever finish, three years earlier when we qualified nobody for NCAAs), 45th at NCAAs. Maybe disarray is a bit strong, but 1995 was something of an illusion given the previous few years and the weak 1996 season (7-9, a distant 2nd at EIWAs, 34th at NCAAs with no A/As).

I remember that the original plan was for alumni to fund up to 8 scholarships. I also seem to remember the thinking that this would augment need-based aid, but that once the first scholarships were awarded the administration diverted much of wrestling's need-based aid elsewhere. I also remember that we had to delay awarding no-needs for a couple of years (after Cipollone and Hepp were on board) due to an error in interpreting the NCAA rules of the era, where we nearly violated a stricture against combining need-based and no-need aid. Syracuse made the same mistake and went over the line, ending up on probation a few years before they dropped their program.

That's how I remember things, anyway.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:38 pm

As I recall, the first year of beyond need Scholarships was: 1985; Epperly Hartman, And Sheeran(? From Illinois, injured, no bouts ever, super pinner in HS); 1986; Herman, Brophy, Regan, Meiras, Scott Hamilton; 1987, Morris, Fleckman, Ruppel. Obviously some success - Natl Champ, on 2 time AAs two 1 Time AAs. But all Missed considerable time. Only 1 semester of Sheeran, Hamilton, Meiras. All but Regan was not a state champ(3rd in Ca but #1 in a HS class of 900.)

After that Plan ended, Went to 2 full rides per year, with S Cassidy class I don't remember who the other was.

Then replaced by the current system.

Excuse any misspells
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:53 pm

Pat Sheehy. I remember that "experimental program", but thought it only lasted one year. It's not like a lot of information was available to out-of-town fans back then.

I'm pretty sure that the first two recipients of the endowed scholarships were Hepp and Cipollone. Would swear I read an article in the South Mountaineer trumpeting them as the lead pair.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:02 pm

One thing to the same for Mr. Kill is having a returning National Champion. The season is a success if he repeats. Then Kill will own West Coast recruiting, plus his PA, OH, NY, NJ, MI ties to top level programs and clubs. I have no doubt Stanford will be finishing higher at NCAA than Lehigh. Pat has reach tenure point where he is stagnating. This is likely last recruiting class and 5 years from now hand over reigns. Question becomes in house or external search.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:05 pm

I still think the Strobel-Koll analogy works. It's certainly not perfect. :-)

Both programs were struggling yet both finished 17 in the country the year prior to each taking over. Both dealing/dealt with less than 9.9 when they took over.

Greg used to say that he was competing with the Ivy League academically and the Big 10 athletically.

I hope Koll is successful there. I would hate to see Stanford back off again.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:21 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:53 pm Pat Sheehy. I remember that "experimental program", but thought it only lasted one year. It's not like a lot of information was available to out-of-town fans back then.

I'm pretty sure that the first two recipients of the endowed scholarships were Hepp and Cipollone. Would swear I read an article in the South Mountaineer trumpeting them as the lead pair.
I am sure you are correct that the fist two were Hepp and Cipp. They had pretty similar HS credentials. S Cassidy had much stronger credentials than any of his classmates. It also meant the 2 plans did not overlap. The last 3 of the first plan graduated, 5th yr, in June '91. Hepp and Cipp entered Fall of 91.\
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:42 am

Top Missouri HS recruit Dustin “Jack” Darrah flips from Cornell (FLWC) to Stanford……spent 1 year at FLWC/Spartan
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:35 am

Stanford will wrestle Binghamton on 11-21 according to their schedule release this week. Assume a stop in Ithaca might be on the table beforehand?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:19 pm

Nico Provo officially flips from Cornell to Stanford