Rob Koll lost recruiting year

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Rob Koll lost recruiting year

Post by Oracle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Yes, Stanford has a lot coming back but not signing any recruits will be felt. Perhaps they have a few late guys who filpped to The Farm (a Koll specialty) but haven't seen any word of that. Transfers are possible but unlikely or at best a low percentage play.

Coach Koll has the eastern half of the country wired with solid, long-term relationships with the right talent pipelines. However, it's always asking a lot for kids to go cross country to compete.....just like Cornell got a kid from California now and again.

PROS:
* Stanford is A-list academically to say the least
* Coach is A-list
* Conference is trending upward
* 'Good' assistants
* 9.9 scholarships
* Admin support for now -- the university has plenty of money

CONS:
* No Ag School
* 9.9 scholarships -- limits that were not a concern at Cornell
* Travel to competitions will be excessive
* Scheduling dual meets in the east for recruiting purposes gets expensive

Scheduling will be critical. Aside from being locked into the Pac 12, I'd wager coach Koll will try to come east (to recruit) and especially mid-west Big 12 and Big 10. It will be interesting.

lu_alum

Re: Rob Koll lost recruiting year

Post by lu_alum » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:29 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 pm PROS:
* Stanford is A-list academically to say the least
* Coach is A-list
* Conference is trending upward
* 'Good' assistants
* 9.9 scholarships
* Admin support for now -- the university has plenty of money

CONS:
* No Ag School
* 9.9 scholarships -- limits that were not a concern at Cornell
* Travel to competitions will be excessive
* Scheduling dual meets in the east for recruiting purposes gets expensive

Scheduling will be critical. Aside from being locked into the Pac 12, I'd wager coach Koll will try to come east (to recruit) and especially mid-west Big 12 and Big 10. It will be interesting.
When did Stanford officially become a 9.9 school? My understanding is they were not one prior to Koll's arrival. If it was worked into his agreement when making the move, I'm guessing they don't make the jump immediately.

Follow-up: they are not 9.9 yet, per Koll's interview w Bader:

https://youtu.be/tFvN-HznykE
  • Re: the Ivy League cancelling last season, he said "it made my decision easier, I'm not gonna deny it" (around 6:30 in the video)

Around 10:00 Bader asks if he would have went somewhere else besides Cornell, he stutters then says "I'm not sure what would have happened." Not exactly a glowing endorsement.

At 19:00 someone comes in the room who Koll may have been trying to negotiate with for an assistant coaching job but I wasn't sure who it was. I think Koll said he was on the East coast but looked like the guy was wearing a Stanford shirt so not sure if that was someone already on the staff?

Around 25:00 seems to be indicating that Dake may not want to coach.

35:00 talks about the challenges in post-grad employment at Cornell/Ithaca compared to Stanford/Palo Alto which he think can tie into an improved RTC.

40:00 talks salary, again says what was posted wasn't accurate. Claims he could have made more at Cornell.

46:00 says still trying to get the full 9.9 scholarships and trying to endow them, then the coaching positions, then wants to work on the RTC.

48:00 confirms it's difficult to transfer to Stanford. Says he did "robust transfer business" at Cornell but tried to save himself from the Finger Lakes criticism by following up with "well it's hard to transfer to Cornell too"
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Stanford is not a state school, not an Ivy, not a service academy --- that means their a 9.9 school. How many of the 9.9 they currently have is irrelevant. If they are currently less than 9.9, I suspect it won't be long before coach Koll gets the max.... why did you focused on the 9.9? Surprising.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:08 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:54 pm Stanford is not a state school, not an Ivy, not a service academy --- that means their a 9.9 school. How many of the 9.9 they currently have is irrelevant. If they are currently less than 9.9, I suspect it won't be long before coach Koll gets the max.... why did you focused on the 9.9? Surprising.
I'm a bit surprised by your reaction. I think there is a significant difference. The NCAA stipulates a max of 9.9 but if Stanford is willing to fund much less then the (>( becomes irrelevant.

I am not sure where Stanford is on wrestling. First they were on life support. Then they announced they were pulling the plug. Then suddenly, they are back on but with what kind of support?

That said, your list of pros and cons is very relevant. Only time will tell how it plays out.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:30 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:08 pm
Oracle wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:54 pm Stanford is not a state school, not an Ivy, not a service academy --- that means their a 9.9 school. How many of the 9.9 they currently have is irrelevant. If they are currently less than 9.9, I suspect it won't be long before coach Koll gets the max.... why did you focused on the 9.9? Surprising.
I'm a bit surprised by your reaction. I think there is a significant difference. The NCAA stipulates a max of 9.9 but if Stanford is willing to fund much less then the (>( becomes irrelevant.

I am not sure where Stanford is on wrestling. First they were on life support. Then they announced they were pulling the plug. Then suddenly, they are back on but with what kind of support?

That said, your list of pros and cons is very relevant. Only time will tell how it plays out.
Agree. Anybody who has a reasonable amount of knowledge on the subject KNOWS that stating a program is "a 9.9 school" means they are have funded their program with the NCAA's maximum allowable number of wrestling scholarships.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm

Although nothing is ever an exact match, I see Koll's job at Stanford being similar to the one Greg Strobel took on in 1995.

I know: Greg didn't inherit a national champion.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:01 pm

Sorry, I cannot agree with the Strobel comparison. That's a stretch.

Lehigh was in total disarray, though they did win the one year Bob Latessa was coach. Prior to that, it was bleak. Fully funded, targeted aid was in place and still ..... one year LU was EIWA 7th.

Koll inherits a team that was definitely on the rise. Cutting the program was part of a broader University plan. It wasn't personal. When Griffith won and was name dOW, it embarrassed the athletic department and the University.
Since their coach moved on to American, signing Rob Koll was a master stroke for them indeed. Stanford has a rich history in athletics, especially minor sports.....swimming, soccer, golf, volleyball. Wrestling will fly high in Palo Alto like never before is my prediction. The resurgence is about the only thing in common with Strobel.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:10 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 pm
CONS:
* No Ag School
Yeahhhhh .... but Stanford seems to be able to admit top athletes for other sports. Their "admit" lists must be pretty big if they want them to be. That said, I doubt Stanford Wrestling will ever have as deep a room as Cornell has had. I also wonder how many Stanford athletes will greyshirt before enrollment.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:01 pm Sorry, I cannot agree with the Strobel comparison. That's a stretch.

Lehigh was in total disarray, though they did win the one year Bob Latessa was coach. Prior to that, it was bleak. Fully funded, targeted aid was in place and still ..... one year LU was EIWA 7th.

Koll inherits a team that was definitely on the rise. Cutting the program was part of a broader University plan. It wasn't personal. When Griffith won and was name dOW, it embarrassed the athletic department and the University.
Since their coach moved on to American, signing Rob Koll was a master stroke for them indeed. Stanford has a rich history in athletics, especially minor sports.....swimming, soccer, golf, volleyball. Wrestling will fly high in Palo Alto like never before is my prediction. The resurgence is about the only thing in common with Strobel.
I'm kind of surprised by that response too.

In 1995, the year prior to Greg's arrival, Lehigh was 11-2, won the EIWA, and was 17th in the country.
In 2021, Stanford was 5-3 finished 3rd in the PAC 12 and was 17th in the country.

In 1991, the Board of Trustees. approved allowing up to 8 scholarships. They weren't fully endowed until 2005.
In 2021, Stanford is funding some scholarships but not 9.9 per Koll so it's not that far off. The wrestling coach's were endowed a few years prior to Strobel's arrival. Koll's position is not not but he sets it as a priority.

Stanford takes academics seriously and is an expensive school. So is Lehigh.

You talk about Stanford's rich history is minor sports.....but not wrestling.
Lehigh doesn't have the same history in minor sports ....but it does in wrestling.

It's fine to nitpick but I began my post by saying that nothing is ever exactly the same.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Somehow I don't think wrestling will be a top priority among Stanford sports teams. Too much competition from other sports.

https://admission.stanford.edu/student/ ... index.html