Football looked good

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: Football looked good

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:53 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:43 pm
drd5748 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:48 pm >>>It’s an anonymous board and a free country with a constitution that guarantees free speech.
All free speech really means is that you can't be arrested for it. "Congress shall make no law...". Even if some monitor here does something you have the right to create your own forum.
Y’all remember that

Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:01 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:20 pm Ouch is the proper term. We are pathetic & Sterrett must be very depressed as Football is his passion & being competitive with schools like Villanova & Richmond his long time goal.

With regard to Farrington, I will never forget his comments that if we didn’t change our image away from Engineering we were destined to become like RPI who at the time was ranked below Lehigh in USNews rankings.

At that time we were around #32 & they were in the 40’s. Today we are around #50 & they remain in the 40’s ahead of us. We lost our “Brand” when we marched down the “Ivy Wannabe” path of trying to portray ourselves as an eastern liberal arts school.

Our trustees brought in Farrington from an Ivy to reinforce their mission & in my mind both Likens & Farrington were not the problem but just puppets of our trustees bad decision.
Boy you nailed it. And look at the hot woke mess it’s become. A far cry from your days or even mine. The east coast is crying out for a Hillsdale. Lots would flock because where else you going? Instead kids w even moderate views have to bend a knee to the woke mob and swim in the same pool of leftist nutter profs that run the institution of higher academics across the country. We coulda been somebody. Go D3 in sports (except wrestling!) and do something unique and special in the classroom.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:34 pm

How true as the wrestlers tell me that they keep their mouths shut in those classes or risk a bad grade. Our political science professors are avowed Marxist’s with no balanced profs to provide healthy dialogue.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 pm

For us older folk, does "woke" still mean no longer asleep, comatose or unaware?

As for the Marxist education, I would love to discuss that but not on this forum. Please try to keep your politics to yourself. I can be reached personally.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 am

TMH wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 pm For us older folk, does "woke" still mean no longer asleep, comatose or unaware?

As for the Marxist education, I would love to discuss that but not on this forum. Please try to keep your politics to yourself. I can be reached personally.
Woke is when you boycott Chick-fil-A, Cracker Barrel, Hobby Lobby & Salvation Army because of their alleged right wing policies.
Woke is when you start a class by saying "Guys, open your books to page 32.." and get an email from the Dean's office that that is upsetting to transgender students.
Woke is when you take a DEI survey and the second question for gender has 13 choices. Realistically, there are an infinite # of genders? But anyone that thinks there are only 2 is clearly NOT woke.
Woke is when you know what DEI is, as well as BIPOC and LGBTQIA++.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:00 am

Asa Packer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 am
TMH wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:47 pm For us older folk, does "woke" still mean no longer asleep, comatose or unaware?

Woke is when you boycott Chick-fil-A, Cracker Barrel, Hobby Lobby & Salvation Army because of their alleged right wing policies.
Woke is when you start a class by saying "Guys, open your books to page 32.." and get an email from the Dean's office that that is upsetting to transgender students.
Woke is when you take a DEI survey and the second question for gender has 13 choices. Realistically, there are an infinite # of genders? But anyone that thinks there are only 2 is clearly NOT woke.
Woke is when you know what DEI is, as well as BIPOC and LGBTQIA++.
Thank you for the clarification. You chose an absolutely awful word in "woke" to reflect that. If this is what keeps you up at night, perhaps you have too much time on your hands.

Once again, I will be glad to discuss these matters in an intellectual, impartial manner but message me privately and let's not pollute a sports discussion board with this.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 pm

I didn't choose the word "woke", it's part of the culture, unfortunately.
Doesn't keep me up at night, just answered your question.
This is a football thread on wrestling forum. We've been off the rails from the start.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 pm

>>>Anyone got the ball score?

>>>Oh, I guess another “scheduling mismatch”

.... Well, there was the embarrassing comment by the announcers after citing our W/L record vs them:

"Maybe Lehigh should consider scheduling fewer CAAs?"
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:09 pm

>>>You miss the point of free speech entirely. Just because you disagree with something doesn’t make it libelous.

I guess you missed the point about libel. It is not about disagreement, it's attacking someone falsely personally or professionally (like attacking a coach's character) with little or no proof. Maybe the Richmond coach agrees with me, after laying down his weapons in the 2nd half.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:04 am

drd5748 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:09 pm >>>You miss the point of free speech entirely. Just because you disagree with something doesn’t make it libelous.

I guess you missed the point about libel. It is not about disagreement, it's attacking someone falsely personally or professionally (like attacking a coach's character) with little or no proof. Maybe the Richmond coach agrees with me, after laying down his weapons in the 2nd half.
How could anyone not agree with you? You’re always right.
MH never said anything about Gilmore personally. You can look it up. You can also look up the fact that MH thinks he was the wrong hire and the evidence is right on the field on Saturdays for all to see. Football coaches get fired all the time for not being very good, not getting results, or usually both. The entire sports journalism industry has a wing that covers coaches on the hot seat (just ask Clay Helton). Just because you don’t like the criticism of our failing football coach doesn’t mean someone was libeled or defamed. If you want to start a fanboy only message board somewhere where you are the chief moderator of what is considered rah-rah enough to post then by all means give it a go. Hasn’t that been tried? You’re not the moderator of this one.
Fire Gilmore and wipe the entire slate clean. Sue me.