Football looked good

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
DF2002

Re: Football looked good

Post by DF2002 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:01 pm

DF2002 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:45 pm
TMH wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 pm Who transferred?

Is this unusual? Gilmore and Chechini started at about the same time. Bucknell has 13 seniors on the team this year. What happened to all the rest.

"Again, if this isn’t the case then I’d apologize here but I certainly won’t apologize for the comment about his track record as a coach as his record at HC is verifiable and obviously not good."

He was 2 X Patriot League COY at Holy Cross. He went 5 years in a row finishing no less than 2nd and he was the National Asst COY at Lehigh.

So who would you rather that we hired based on their resume?

I suggest that his resume was much better than either Higgins or Lembo. Do you disagree?
I can go back and dig through the archives here but the gist of it was that some guys transferred specifically because of Gilmore and the way he treated players and that his turnover rate among assistants was known to be high.

UPDATE: from the archives (not my post) - “Saw Gilmore really getting into the face of some players...I wonder how they will react to that? Today's athletes don't seem to react well to the 'old school' tongue lashings we would get all the time 'back in the day'.”

Actually more than one person made this comment or something similar in the same thread. This was one thread and I know there were others, one specifically about that dealt with transfers. I’ll just assume this is enough to substantiate my earlier comment as it draws from the same observations from multiple people. Take it or leave it.

And maybe all coaches have players and assistants that leave frequently for this reason. Totally possible but still not preferable for our student- athletes or asst. coaches if this is true of him.

Not sure what Bucknell has to do with it.

As for Gilmore’s resume- he had one notably good year at HC when he went 9-3. His next best years were 7-4. His conference record was 41-40 and overall record was LOSING. Does this seem like a good record to you? Maybe the man had 2 good years at HC and good for him for those years but that doesn’t inspire much confidence. Comparing him to Lembo or Higgins doesn’t change his record or make me feel any better about it.

Who would I have hired? Someone with a winning record. That would have been a better start.

TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm

I suppose there are a lot of coaching styles but I always felt that if there was one thing lacking during Andy's later years it was a fire in the belly of players. Without it, teams can become pretty mediocre. Players can have all the skills in the world but if they don't have tenacity, it can be wasted.

John Whitehead was a fighter and his players reflected that on the field ala Vince Lombardi. Football players need to be disciplined. Those who are weak will leave. Those who are tough will embrace it. That's why drill sergeants promote mental toughness. Off the field, I think he is a father figure to most.

Lehigh is a stepping stone for all coaches. They are continually looking for the next level to pursue. Others are looking for more visibility and more pay. Please don't assume it is all about being loud because someone posted it on the internet.

Most people were more than willing to ignore Chick's 17-38 record at Valpo even though they only finished higher than 7th once in five years. He is the offensive counterpart to Gilmore's defensive genius.

Lehigh is not going to attract established top notch FCS coaches easily. Higgins was the DC for perhaps the worst defense in the PL before getting his HC job. Lembo was the OC for perhaps the worst offense in all of Div III. Three years later he wins the Eddie Robinson Award.

Building a program from the ground up takes time. Patience is a virtue. :-)

BTW, leave it up to Mountain Hawk to post this thread on the wrestling board.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:11 am

TMH wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm I suppose there are a lot of coaching styles but I always felt that if there was one thing lacking during Andy's later years it was a fire in the belly of players.
It was also early onset Alzheimers
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:43 am

TMH wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm I suppose there are a lot of coaching styles but I always felt that if there was one thing lacking during Andy's later years it was a fire in the belly of players. Without it, teams can become pretty mediocre. Players can have all the skills in the world but if they don't have tenacity, it can be wasted.

John Whitehead was a fighter and his players reflected that on the field ala Vince Lombardi. Football players need to be disciplined. Those who are weak will leave. Those who are tough will embrace it. That's why drill sergeants promote mental toughness. Off the field, I think he is a father figure to most.

Lehigh is a stepping stone for all coaches. They are continually looking for the next level to pursue. Others are looking for more visibility and more pay. Please don't assume it is all about being loud because someone posted it on the internet.

Most people were more than willing to ignore Chick's 17-38 record at Valpo even though they only finished higher than 7th once in five years. He is the offensive counterpart to Gilmore's defensive genius.

Lehigh is not going to attract established top notch FCS coaches easily. Higgins was the DC for perhaps the worst defense in the PL before getting his HC job. Lembo was the OC for perhaps the worst offense in all of Div III. Three years later he wins the Eddie Robinson Award.

Building a program from the ground up takes time. Patience is a virtue. :-)

All fair points and I hope you’re right. I don’t share your confidence based on the record but I must agree it doesn’t mean things can’t change as you pointed out with Higgins especially.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:49 am

TMH wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm
Hey you’re welcome!
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:55 am

Ed you may think that you're the straw that stirs the drink, but there are plenty of others that we could replace you with.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:00 am

Bring in Stambaugh to handle the offense & become heir apparent when Gilmore retires or crashes.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:31 am

TMH wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm Most people were more than willing to ignore Chick's 17-38 record at Valpo even though they only finished higher than 7th once in five years. He is the offensive counterpart to Gilmore's defensive genius.

Posted previously on Football board

...In the 4 years prior to his (Cecchini) arrival, Valpo was 3-41. They were not competitive to say the least. A 15-29 record going into this season is a substantial improvement. From what I can see, last seasons 6-5 record was their first winning record since 2003.

A closer look at scores from prior to his arrival to now indicate a much more competitive team is being put on the field. Prior to his arrival, Valpo lost to Butler 72-12 (2013) and Jacksonville 86-7 (2012), both of those teams have been beat by Valpo in the last couple years.

You are talking about 2 HC candidates that were trending in opposite directions. We (Sterett) chose the ship with a hole in it.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:53 am

Serious question: why is this appearing on the wrestling forum when Lehigh has a football forum? Please let's end this thread. Thank you.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:10 am

Oracle wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:53 am Serious question: why is this appearing on the wrestling forum when Lehigh has a football forum? Please let's end this thread. Thank you.
Feel free to skip over any thread you choose. See ya at Goodman with the other 12 fans paying to watch this team!