Football looked good

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Lehighsam

Re: Football looked good

Post by Lehighsam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:07 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:53 am What's next Women's Softball?
I hope not since they have their own forum.

http://www.lehighsportsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=22

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Lehighsam wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:07 pm

So does (did?) Men's Football.
Sundayamqb

Re: This forum is off the rails...

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:37 pm

D3 for LU wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:16 pm ... uh, shall we cue up G& R's Welcome to the Jungle right about now? :P
D3
+1

At the rate we're going. It's just a matter of time in all but wrestling and lax, perhaps, for now. If it's good enough for quality STEM institutions like Carnegie Mellon and RPI, it's good enough for us.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:39 pm

Lehighsam wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:07 pm

No members of the Softball team on the Wrestling Roster. But maybe when we have a women's team
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:56 pm

For the record, I'm not positive why Tom was hired at his age w/out a more top notch resume. But due to the extravagant salaries now paid to the top coaches in all college sports, I wonder how much Lehigh is wiling to pay

I note that Lembo jumped to $450k to coach Ball St in 2010 (119th highest), then $514k , leaving in 2015, before asst head coach at Rice and Maryland before Memphis (where I believe the head earned $2.7mil. Asst HC's often make half of the head man.

But maybe that Holy Cross win vs a "Division I" school wasn't so impressive.
"UConn coach Randy Edsall (50) stepped down after that 1 loss Edsall, 63, went 6-32 since hired in 2017; He had coached UConn from 1999-2010, going 74-70 and guiding UConn from Div I-AA into the Big East, which he won twice. He was then fired from Maryland in 2015 (22-34 in 5 yrs).

I wonder how UConn social media's behaving (I understand that my jackal remark was harsh - done to see how fans like feelin' it after dishing it out - still anonymous, of course. Let's let this sleeping dog for now, while hoping Richmond is more like UConn than Villanova.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:29 pm

drd5748 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:56 pm For the record, I'm not positive why Tom was hired at his age w/out a more top notch resume. But due to the extravagant salaries now paid to the top coaches in all college sports, I wonder how much Lehigh is wiling to pay
Could it be it was an odd time of year, he was available, a known quantity (as former LU assistant) and a defensive guru?

The reality is it's not easy for the FCS to hire coaches you know will be slam-dunk winners. Look around at other failures. They're rampant. Few HCs are successful -- to the degree we'd expect.

We got lucky with Higgins, who planted quite the successful coaching tree. Higgins, if I recall, was brought in by Hank Small, whose teams took five years to really get off the ground. I think Small was the last "outsider" (guy who had not coached here before) to come in.

Ideally, you'd build a great bench of assistants who could become HCs when the HCs move on to "greener" pastures. I think that's what the nation's top FCS programs do.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:07 am

drd5748 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:56 pm For the record, I'm not positive why Tom was hired at his age w/out a more top notch resume. But due to the extravagant salaries now paid to the top coaches in all college sports, I wonder how much Lehigh is wiling to pay

I note that Lembo jumped to $450k to coach Ball St in 2010 (119th highest), then $514k , leaving in 2015, before asst head coach at Rice and Maryland before Memphis (where I believe the head earned $2.7mil. Asst HC's often make half of the head man.

But maybe that Holy Cross win vs a "Division I" school wasn't so impressive.
"UConn coach Randy Edsall (50) stepped down after that 1 loss Edsall, 63, went 6-32 since hired in 2017; He had coached UConn from 1999-2010, going 74-70 and guiding UConn from Div I-AA into the Big East, which he won twice. He was then fired from Maryland in 2015 (22-34 in 5 yrs).

I wonder how UConn social media's behaving (I understand that my jackal remark was harsh - done to see how fans like feelin' it after dishing it out - still anonymous, of course. Let's let this sleeping dog for now, while hoping Richmond is more like UConn than Villanova.
I don’t really care what you call me. Was just making a point. I’m not as sensitive as some of those defending Gilmore’s record.

BTW- what does my anonymity have to do with it? Almost everyone here is anonymous. That’s sort of the point of these forums. How does providing my name here change anything?

And if you think I’m being harsh, you should look at football forum. Both in the past and now.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Having been associated with LEHIGH as a student and alumni since 1943, I can say that the last 3 Presidents have been mediocre at best and LEHIGH as an institution is nowhere as competitive and held in esteem whether by journal publishing, quality of research and overall attainment levels of alumni as it had in the past.

I entered Lehigh with Clement Williams as President, and graduated with the incredible Whitaker as President. The tradition of great Lehigh presidents continued with Neville, Lewis and Likins. Hittinger who was a Senior when I was a Freshman nobly served as an interim. Then mediocrity of Farrington, Gast and the dismal Simon. One can only hope Helble lights a fire under faculty and students going forward.

As for Lehigh football, it ebbs and flows. The one person who has to go is Sterrett. It has become a fifedom under his leadership. The money to retain football coaches was within reach. Instead AD money was directed to basketball. As for Gilmore, Lehigh's greatest loser since Mike Cooley who lasted 3 years. I don't recommend buying out Gilmore, but he should be shown the door as soon as his contract is over. 1976 to 2018, we had good coaches with a few outstanding coaches in there. I came into Lehigh with one of the worst football teams ever, but then again, almost anyone of fighting ability was in Europe or South Pacific. I left to join them in 1944 at conclusion of my freshman year.

New President, hopefully a new AD next year and in a few year a new Head Football Coach. Hopefully this is an inflection point to get Lehigh back to being competitive and elite on all fronts.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:58 pm

HFO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:45 pm Having been associated with LEHIGH as a student and alumni since 1943, I can say that the last 3 Presidents have been mediocre at best and LEHIGH as an institution is nowhere as competitive and held in esteem whether by journal publishing, quality of research and overall attainment levels of alumni as it had in the past.

I entered Lehigh with Clement Williams as President, and graduated with the incredible Whitaker as President. The tradition of great Lehigh presidents continued with Neville, Lewis and Likins. Hittinger who was a Senior when I was a Freshman nobly served as an interim. Then mediocrity of Farrington, Gast and the dismal Simon. One can only hope Helble lights a fire under faculty and students going forward.

As for Lehigh football, it ebbs and flows. The one person who has to go is Sterrett. It has become a fifedom under his leadership. The money to retain football coaches was within reach. Instead AD money was directed to basketball. As for Gilmore, Lehigh's greatest loser since Mike Cooley who lasted 3 years. I don't recommend buying out Gilmore, but he should be shown the door as soon as his contract is over. 1976 to 2018, we had good coaches with a few outstanding coaches in there. I came into Lehigh with one of the worst football teams ever, but then again, almost anyone of fighting ability was in Europe or South Pacific. I left to join them in 1944 at conclusion of my freshman year.

New President, hopefully a new AD next year and in a few year a new Head Football Coach. Hopefully this is an inflection point to get Lehigh back to being competitive and elite on all fronts.
Buying you a round if I ever have the chance.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:14 pm

HFO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:45 pm Having been associated with LEHIGH as a student and alumni since 1943, I can say that the last 3 Presidents have been mediocre at best and LEHIGH as an institution is nowhere as competitive and held in esteem whether by journal publishing, quality of research and overall attainment levels of alumni as it had in the past.

You're 100 years old?