Clarion Open

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Re: Clarion Open

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 am

You know its funny, I agree with what you’re saying Oracle, and i agree with the original point…. I guess it comes down imoh to don’t build these guys up too much then be shocked when posters are disappointed with them later on…. The whole Curry thing was overkill to me, yes it was a great first showing by Bailey and something to be optimistic about….but you start throwing names like Cruz, Arajau and Glory in to the mix and to me it unfairly “overhypes” a young recruit and sets him up for the inevitable disappointment posts later….my two cents, whatever….

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:32 am

mookie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 am Finally saw Bailey-Curry. Curry never close to a TD in the first 2 periods.

- With about 15 seconds left Curry clearly had a TD but the ref didn't call it. Bailey was flat on his butt. If it was a match that anyone cared about challenge bricks would have been flying.
The point was that he chose neutral at the start of the third. I agree that a TD could have been called. But he put himself in a need to get a TD in the third as opposed to getting out in 1:11. Maybe, if Bailey had been warned for stalling in the first 2, it made sense.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:31 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 am You know its funny, I agree with what you’re saying Oracle, and i agree with the original point…. I guess it comes down imoh to don’t build these guys up too much then be shocked when posters are disappointed with them later on…. The whole Curry thing was overkill to me, yes it was a great first showing by Bailey and something to be optimistic about….but you start throwing names like Cruz, Arajau and Glory in to the mix and to me it unfairly “overhypes” a young recruit and sets him up for the inevitable disappointment posts later….my two cents, whatever….
>>>>> Agree. That's why I said "it's a good start."
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Anyone know if he'll decide to go back to Lehigh if legally permitted?
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:27 pm

LU808 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 pm
Anyone know if he'll decide to go back to Lehigh if legally permitted?
Bigger question is, will Lehigh extend him an offer if/when Ruth's legal problems are resolved?
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Clearly coaching is overrated.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:54 pm

For the record, just for fun in practice or workouts, since 1972 I've wrestled bouts lasting 0:05 to 2:00 min.
118-Leonhardt; 134-Jay Leeman, 142-Toth-Fejel; 150-Mark Stauffer; 177-Mark Lieberman; 190-McCorkel. I've retired having scored zero.

The most revealing came vs Toth in '76, as I tried to warn him about Denny Sciabica's legs - who had tied Mike Frick in '75 dual (4-4) and beaten Don Rohn, 6-5. BOTH in trouble throughout with my bow-legged namesake's wicked leg rides. "I'm not worried" said Tihamer, who had yet to enter a post-season but was really hot, en route to a 29-bout win streak, EIWA 1, NCAA 5th (1-1 vs Rohn). Only year he ever won a w-off.

I yelled at him to listen to the bout assessments but he declined. "Not worried - and I'll show you why .. go ahead, try to put the legs in." I tried 5 times but each time I did, his hips slithered left or right -- really fast. Like a freakin' water melon seed. He goes out 3 days later and pastes the real Denny, 17-4.

What I'll never understand: did he have to be an EE to wrestle Sciabica that much smarter than 2 NCAA champs did?? They couldn't have wrestled Sciabica any worse than they did that day. Obviously different styles.

DUMBEST move ever: I drove Lieberman to the PSU Open during his r/s year and he didn't have anybody to work out with. I stupidly said: "I'll go a minute or two, if you want." What transpired was assault & battery, take down (duhh) then took his fist up thru my crotch, stomach, ribs, chin, cheek, across one eye. First (only) smart move was to go flatter and yell PIN !! Followed by "you bastard; you'd do that to your own mother." Reply: "I would if she got on the mat with me." And this is 1 of my 10 best friends in life?

Funniest one: avoiding any chance of injury in '77, I bet McCorkel -- slowest, most methodical guy in the line-up -- $1 that I could ride him for 0:05. Didn't hesitate; I got on top, somebody blew whistle .,,and he wrist rolled me within 0:03. I jumped up, hollering, 'Geez, Donnie, you don't even HAVE a wrist roll !!!"

Grins at me: "I do, now!" He & I were road-trip dinner buddies his jr (hwt) year; going out separate from the team. Nobody else wanted to watch us eat that much.