Clarion Open

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Clarion Open

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:37 am

TMH wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm
LU in the Hub wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:46 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:47 pm He is, with a 38-30 record (prior to this year). Not exactly a world-beater.
Well, technically neither Jacob Allen or Gage Curry are "world-beaters", but they are grizzled veteran starters who've placed at EIWAs, gone to the NCAA tournament and beaten Lehigh wrestlers in the past.

So, I was pleasantly surprised to see a true freshman who I wasn't really even aware of, knock both of those guys off and win a tournament about a month into his college career. Kudos to Mr. Bailey - wishing him the best of luck in the rest of his career!
I agree completely. I'll assume that Curry is the former American wrestler that finished 3,4,3 in his last 3 EIWAs
I've been tracking all EIWA bouts for six years now, so I'm well acquainted with the records for Allen and Curry (yes, five years at AU). I was hoping that Bailey could beat Allen; I was expecting that he'd lose by MD against Curry. The guy hasn't made it to four NCAA tournaments battling Cruz, Glory, and Arujau for qualifying spots by accident.

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:33 pm

Finally saw Bailey-Curry. Curry never close to a TD in the first 2 periods. Why would he take neutral against someone who he had no reason to think was super tough on top?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:33 pm Finally saw Bailey-Curry. Curry never close to a TD in the first 2 periods. Why would he take neutral against someone who he had no reason to think was super tough on top?
Because he did have reason to believe - based upon his prior bouts in the tournament - that Bailey was very tough on top?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:09 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:37 am
TMH wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm
LU in the Hub wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:46 pm

I've been tracking all EIWA bouts for six years now, so I'm well acquainted with the records for Allen and Curry (yes, five years at AU). I was hoping that Bailey could beat Allen; I was expecting that he'd lose by MD against Curry. The guy hasn't made it to four NCAA tournaments battling Cruz, Glory, and Arujau for qualifying spots by accident.
Did he ever beat any of those guys to earn his spot? If not i don’t understand the point…. I don’t think he ever wrestled any of those 3 at eiwa’s but i could be wrong….

Update i was wrong, he got pinned by Patrick Glory in 2019 EIWA’s….. only time he wrestled one of those 3 at EIWA’s in his attempts to qualify for NCAA’s….. he did wrestle Cruz once in the regular season, got pinned in that one too….
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:31 pm

I think JDA's point is that some might not be impressed "just" placing 3,4,3,4 in EIWA. But if the top 2,3 were pretty damn good then 3,4 isn't exactly chopped liver. More info needs shared to confirm how/why Gage was briefly ranked 10th in the nation. His highest ncaa seed was #20.

So Dad Bailey's feeling pretty excited (as emailed to me), since he knows rankings better than most as a coach and former 2x A/A. Running with positive feelings often beats the alternative.

p.s. I hafta' laugh, Spladle, since technically you were right that 'Traub and Wood 'had similar builds.' I first found an August interview video with Gary, who wasn't in singlet but I thought 'uh,'ohh' what if he weighs close to JW at match time?? He didn't - Jordan confirmed to me Mon. that he weighed a bit over 30 lbs more than Traub. I had guessed very close to that difference, but held an employee advantage (Jordan writes for LUWN).
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:13 pm

Hell Denny at your age you could wrestle Cruz, Glory and Arajau and come in fourth too…. Wasn’t arguing that it wasnt a good tournament for Bailey (it obviously was) just that the arguement/logic there for Curry made no sense…..now if he had beat them a couple times …even outside EIWA’s, not just gotten pinned twice, it might have made some sense….don’t oversell….
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:53 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:13 pm Hell Denny at your age you could wrestle Cruz, Glory and Arajau and come in fourth too…. Wasn’t arguing that it wasnt a good tournament for Bailey (it obviously was) just that the arguement/logic there for Curry made no sense…..now if he had beat them a couple times …even outside EIWA’s, not just gotten pinned twice, it might have made some sense….don’t oversell….
Cruz v Diehl. Now there's an exhibition that would pack them in.
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 am

Finally saw Bailey-Curry. Curry never close to a TD in the first 2 periods.

- With about 15 seconds left Curry clearly had a TD but the ref didn't call it. Bailey was flat on his butt. If it was a match that anyone cared about challenge bricks would have been flying.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:50 am

The original point still stands: a true frosh, early on, beat 2 veterans who should have won. They didn't and it's a net positive for our guy who did. There was a lot to like about watching Carter Bailey wrestle 'loose' out there. One semi-minor tournament, yes, but a good start.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:35 am

mookie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 am Finally saw Bailey-Curry. Curry never close to a TD in the first 2 periods.

- With about 15 seconds left Curry clearly had a TD but the ref didn't call it. Bailey was flat on his butt.
That was brought up at practice. Not so much if it was or wasn't a td but why Curry was able to get in at the end of the match.