Brown And White Wrestle-Offs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
D3 for LU

Re: Brown And White Wrestle-Offs

Post by D3 for LU » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:31 pm

Work night... time to hit the rack! :P
Tootles!
D3

Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:12 pm

One of my classmates on the team told me how much the wrestlers hated wrestling against each other in public .... long time ago. I think we saw some of that tonight.

Kind of hard to get a bead on things, since I've never seen so many of them wrestle before. Redshirt year, covid year, and now finally we get to see some of them. Random thoughts ---

I've always thought that the brown singlets create an optical illusion that our guys are smaller, and tonight proved it. From the time Seymour tied up with Lane, the guys in the brown singlets looked short.

Seymour and Lane have wrestled daily for years now, but I thought Sheldon wrestled a great bout. Don't know if Jaret cut a lot of weight or not, but Sheldon got the best of it.

Hines looked fine. One more year at 133.

I'm hoping that Hoffman hasn't been injured one too many times. MB4 looked huge -- looked like one of the meet-in-the-middle bouts. I doubt he stays at 149 for long.

Next three bouts -- glad to see that the new guys have plenty of game. I don't expect them to start soon, but depth counts and so does development.

Meyer still damn hard to take down. Close bout but Lawrence never finished a shot. My bet is that Meyer holds the starting job this season.

Herceg looked good in his cameo last year. Logan still needs to finish his TDs.

I wasn't sure what to expect. Burkhart up three weight classes, Wilt tall and rangy -- anyone know how tall he is? Not sure either is our long-term 184.

Davis looked good. Needs to add some bulk to be successful at 197.

I think Taylor is our 285 next year. Big, strong, and mobile.

Rodriguez looked good for the first few minutes; Moran's always been a solid wrestler. He might challenge McGonagle for the starting job. Rodriguez needs more stamina; I expect he'll be at 157 before he's done.

Munch-Storm was a good bout. Both enter their second season; Munch was the more highly regarded recruit, wrestled 132 his whole senior year. Storm wrestled 145/138, placed 7th at states once but had a 134-22 record and never lost more than 6 bouts in a season. I found myself wondering if Munch could make 133, although I don't know that he could challenge Hines.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Rodriquez not Rodriguez.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:55 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:30 pm I would say for me Bryant and Taylor impressed me the most tonite…. Not based on the score of the matches but the way they did it…..Moran also looked good but experience over rookie there…..
Agree 100%.

I have to say, after watching so much freestyle in the off season, the lack of action in neutral in some of the bouts was really aggravating. Make 'em wrestle!
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:43 pm

Very impressive performance by MB4 assuming he can actually make 149. He has the size & quickness to wrestle with the big boys.

Agree also that Nathan Taylor was the other impressive performer of the evening. He reminds me of Closson.

Seymour looks very strong despite his size & not sure if Lane is struggling to get to weight but Seymour was the aggressor & looked good.

Logan looked like he did last year & Herceg made Nazareth proud tonight.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:26 am

gimpeltf wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:50 pm Rodriquez not Rodriguez.
I wonder if Rodriquez is Portuguese. I have a friend Paul Gonsalves, from Guyana. He says he is of Brazilian extraction, although he only speaks a heavily accented English.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks. I'd have gotten that wrong for five years.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:58 am

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:26 am
I wonder if Rodriquez is Portuguese. I have a friend Paul Gonsalves, from Guyana. He says he is of Brazilian extraction, although he only speaks a heavily accented English.
It's of spanish origin. Portuguese would be "Rodrigues".