Inter-Squad Observations

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Inter-Squad Observations

Post by Oracle » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:53 am

As expected it was mostly 1st and 2nd year in he room wrestlers -- giving them an opportunity to wrestle in Grace Hall in front of live fans (1100 in attendance.)

Most of the action was relatively slow-paced and not especially noteworthy. However, there were a few bouts where individuals showed a glimpse of promise in the future -- maybe as early as this year. Most noteworthy, IMO, was Manzona Bryant handling Jimmy Hoffman. He pushed the action and didn't give up on his under hooks, hitting a 6 pt half-throw to break open the bout. At 149, Bryant could very compete with the elite. A lot to like with him as Hoffman is a top 33 guy in his own right. Brian Meyer looked solid. His experience carried the day against Lawrence who just wouldn't engage -- at least to my eye. Perhaps this was a case of knowing the other guy too well. Meyer's confidence won it.

Nathan Taylor moves really well for a big guy. I'm excited about his development after Jordan Wood moves on next year. I'd enter this guy into as many Opens as feasible. Dan Moran was pretty impressive. Rodriquez did a lot of heads faking and level changes but never really engaged or initiated any attacks. Moran waited for the outside shot and then easily spun around -- a common true frosh mistake. Rodriquez has a slight frame and not tall enough to eventually move up to 157. In fact, he looks like a 125 to my eye. Moran is not the biggest 141 around and he horsed him.

No real comment on 125 or 174 other than the 'starters' didn't engage and deserved to lose. Bravo to the Seymour and Herceg for their hustle.

These young guys looked solid: Sung, Brignola, JT Davis, Storm, Martin.

Good Sportsmanship goes to Malyke Hines for not running up the score on Abe as he might have if it were a real dual.

LUEngineer

Re: Inter-Squad Observations

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:10 am

Excellent observations & Bryant & Taylor were perhaps the most exciting to me as future big time prospects. Perhaps I should add Hines to that as well.

Am I correct that we will likely only have 1 upperclassman (Woods) in the lineup this year??
D3 for LU

A Look to the Future...

Post by D3 for LU » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:16 am

Youth was front and center on Thursday evening... w/ gaining experience and hard work in the room and competition, the future looks promising. ;)
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:17 pm

Wood and Paetzell are the only seniors.

I consider Jrs upperclassmen, so Humphreys, Hoffman, Moran certainly Juniors, Lane is shown as Jr eligibility, but he had that one year when he was hurt in 1st bout in Florida, after only 1 or 2 tournaments, so he may have 2 years after this
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:49 pm

I don't normally agree with Oracle but when I do...

Comments about not engaging are spot on. Guys don't want to wrestle no problem - let them sit. Bryant and Taylor gives the program a welcome boost and confidence for the future. Their futures are very bright.

Actually felt sorry for the Florida kid at 141. Directions to the weight room would be a good start.
Lehighsam

Post by Lehighsam » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Oracle wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:53 am No real comment on 125 or 174 other than the 'starters' didn't engage and deserved to lose. Bravo to the Seymour and Herceg for their hustle.
IMO Jaret was looking to a hit a "home run" but Seymour was not taking the bait.
Unfortunately for Lane, Seymour was able to score and win.
Jaret is excellent at hitting "home runs" BUT sometimes you need a couple of singles to win.

I had the pleasure to meet the Herceg family at wrestle-offs. Their seats are next to mine. Prior to the match, I was
being diplomatic since I had expected a convincing win by Jake Logan. :oops: :oops: :oops:

My cousin's son is an assistant coach for Neshaminy football.
I received a "heads up" that he was coming to Lehigh
Unfortunately, I have not yet met Zac Martin however I was impressed by his performance.

My initial impression, we will have two excellent future starters after a red shirt year.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Nice comments.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:05 pm

It's quite a remarkable feat to admit that the guys know each other too well -- then make definitive conclusions about how they look while wrestling in 1 w-off bout. At least mookie lives close enuf to get to practice.

Since I'm the one who forecast that Hines would be 157/165 when he leaves (got the forecast from Malyke f-to-f)
I have absolutely no idea what weight Rodriquez will be later on .. but he is definitely not "at 141" right now.

He just agreed to wrestle there last Thurs. Several guys wrestled "up" incl. Matthew, Herceg & Grape.

Starters could change at any time, but you knew that already.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:34 pm

I left the "wrestle-offs" feeling very optimistic about the future. The coaches have done a very nice job of recruiting. Agree with the observations, above, for DRD, especially an experienced Moran "schooling" a high school 'hot shot'. Showed that "at the next level" physicality only gets you so far. Rodriguez will learn and has the tools to be a star. Nice stable of heavies to learn from the best.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:29 am

So if I got that right Herceg wrestled “up” and beat Logan? Good for Herceg but Logan really baffles me, he was an offensive takedown machine in high school, even against top competition that was his game. Sure D1 college is a different beast but what a change in wrestling style without the return in rewards (at least in Folkstyle)......

If Grape was wrestling up surprised he can’t win 184 spot, unless he’s working his way down there…