Recruits-2022

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
drd5748

Re: Recruits-2022

Post by drd5748 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 pm

A quick side story, related to why I'm so protective of prying into wrestler dings, illnesses

In November, one wrestler was MIA and being discussed, when a parent I met at the LWC/team picnic emailed me several times about how badly her son wanted to suit up. After two emails each, it became apparent that he was dinged, not sick. But she never mentioned what the injury was - even though the exchanges were totally private.

This didn't surprise me, because of the longstanding code between most coaches, wrestlers & parents - such info is best left unsaid and might come back to hurt them.

There are public & private schools and there is public & private information. Then there are online posturing where fans for some reason believe it's ok to pry open the lid. I didn't create the code, which precedes me by eons.

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 am

We all have our own personal agendas........I get that is yours, you've said it many times in many different ways........I respect it, I just don't agree with it. These guys (and their parents in turn) aren't wrestling for Dark Knights or Southern Lehigh anymore, they are getting paid (in a way) to wrestle for Lehigh University. The wrestling team makes money/survives thru fan and booster support.

In 2022 fans expect general knowledge concerning the program, revealing whether a guy is out long term or short term without being specific to injury type is not too much to ask of the coaches or the SID. Saying Manzoa Bryant will be out for 1-2 weeks without specifying why does not give away deep state secrets. Saying JTDavis will be out this weekend but we expect him back shortly is not breaking his HIPA rights.

Harkening back to the good ole days when nobody new nuttin about nuttin except when the wrestlers took to the mat is living in the past, times have changed, fans expect more. Heck the start of this information movement was probably when teams started printing "team newsletters" and the thirst for knolwdege continues to grow to this day.......
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:33 am

drd5748 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 pm There are public & private schools and there is public & private information. Then there are online posturing where fans for some reason believe it's ok to pry open the lid. I didn't create the code, which precedes me by eons.
If you go back far enough the Brown & White reported on everything. I had graduated by 1975-76 so I didn't see this until recently, but the B&W reported in great detail on the Frick situation, including that he had considered transferring to Slippery Rock and that Deming Lewis had been involved in the discussions. Front page articles, above the fold, multiple issues. BTW, the B&W editors opposed the resolution, since in their view Mike was just another student, not deserving of special treatment.

While researching something from the early '60s I ran across a dual meet report in which one Lehigh wrestler was injured; the article went into great detail about the nature of the injury, what the treatment would be, how long the guy could be expected to be out of the lineup -- all the nauseating, gory details.

Go back to the 1930s and one of the biggest problems Billy Sheridan faced was his wrestlers' penchant for academic probation and outright flunking out; reported in great detail, names up front, by the school newspaper. It wasn't just a wrestling problem, since at times it seemed that one-third of the student body was on pro.

There has to be a middle ground between all the gory details and the Cone of Silence. The former is an unnecessary intrusion on privacy; the latter borders on pretending the issue doesn't exist. I don't think it violates Malyke Hines's privacy to respond to speculation that he's left school with an official "no, he's just dinged and we expect him back sometime soon".
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:42 am

jdalu75 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:33 am
drd5748 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 pm There are public & private schools and there is public & private information. Then there are online posturing where fans for some reason believe it's ok to pry open the lid. I didn't create the code, which precedes me by eons.
If you go back far enough the Brown & White reported on everything. I had graduated by 1975-76 so I didn't see this until recently, but the B&W reported in great detail on the Frick situation, including that he had considered transferring to Slippery Rock and that Deming Lewis had been involved in the discussions. Front page articles, above the fold, multiple issues. BTW, the B&W editors opposed the resolution, since in their view Mike was just another student, not deserving of special treatment.

While researching something from the early '60s I ran across a dual meet report in which one Lehigh wrestler was injured; the article went into great detail about the nature of the injury, what the treatment would be, how long the guy could be expected to be out of the lineup -- all the nauseating, gory details.

Go back to the 1930s and one of the biggest problems Billy Sheridan faced was his wrestlers' penchant for academic probation and outright flunking out; reported in great detail, names up front, by the school newspaper. It wasn't just a wrestling problem, since at times it seemed that one-third of the student body was on pro.

There has to be a middle ground between all the gory details and the Cone of Silence. The former is an unnecessary intrusion on privacy; the latter borders on pretending the issue doesn't exist. I don't think it violates Malyke Hines's privacy to respond to speculation that he's left school with an official "no, he's just dinged and we expect him back sometime soon".
But the B&W is a newspaper- not an official release. It was done by reporters.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:02 am

Yeah, but wouldn't the B & W - if their information was accurate - have gotten their information from "officials" and, if so, did it make a practical difference that the "officials" gave it to a newspaper knowing that they'd make it public, as opposed to the "officials" making it public themselves?
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:17 am

Seems like someone (Pat?) just mentioned that Hines "ding' was being concussed at Lock Haven. If true, it explains how that bout ended.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:03 am

whiz wit wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:02 am Yeah, but wouldn't the B & W - if their information was accurate - have gotten their information from "officials" and, if so, did it make a practical difference that the "officials" gave it to a newspaper knowing that they'd make it public, as opposed to the "officials" making it public themselves?
That was almost 50 years ago.

HIPAA came out in '96
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 am

gimpeltf wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:03 am
whiz wit wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:02 am Yeah, but wouldn't the B & W - if their information was accurate - have gotten their information from "officials" and, if so, did it make a practical difference that the "officials" gave it to a newspaper knowing that they'd make it public, as opposed to the "officials" making it public themselves?

HIPAA came out in '96
And of course, there was no internet.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 pm

TMH wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 am
gimpeltf wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:03 am

HIPAA came out in '96
And of course, there was no internet.
Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.
legger

Post by legger » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:17 pm

Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.

**** Love it Gimp!