Spooky Nook 11/14

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
gimpeltf

Re: Spooky Nook 11/14

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:09 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:59 am
jdalu75 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:38 am So far as I know, grad students can compete for Ivy League schools this year. I haven't heard anything about similar changes going forward. It would make sense to allow anyone who lost a year due to the shutdown to compete later on as a grad student, but I haven't seen that yet.
Athletes who were seniors last year can compete this year *at the same school* if they meet that school's grad school requirements. I know that at Princeton, this Ivy policy was announced after the deadline for Princeton's grad programs had passed, and the school apparently uniformly denied waivers for their athletes to apply after the deadline. There were some pissed-off seniors there. I do see that Merkin is listed as a grad student there, however. He may have applied independently of that policy; some athletes really are in school for the education! Adam Santoro is the only other grad student listed on the Ivy rosters that I could find.

Rob Koll (before he mutinied, er, left) said that he hoped that the Ivy League would make this permanent (I believe he was thinking about Darmstadt not being able to get four years eligibility).
I assume after reading the rest that when you quoted "at the same school" that you meant this to apply to Ivies not to the NCAA in general. As to Darmstadt, there are a few others that did seem to get a hardship waiver in the past. Wasn't Springman the one that got a year like this?

gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:01 pm

Interesting that with all those pools at 2

And Manville is a redshirt junior.85, they couldn't fit 3 more in the A pool!
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:04 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:09 am
NothingMeaningful wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:59 am
jdalu75 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:38 am So far as I know, grad students can compete for Ivy League schools this year. I haven't heard anything about similar changes going forward. It would make sense to allow anyone who lost a year due to the shutdown to compete later on as a grad student, but I haven't seen that yet.
Athletes who were seniors last year can compete this year *at the same school* if they meet that school's grad school requirements. I know that at Princeton, this Ivy policy was announced after the deadline for Princeton's grad programs had passed, and the school apparently uniformly denied waivers for their athletes to apply after the deadline. There were some pissed-off seniors there. I do see that Merkin is listed as a grad student there, however. He may have applied independently of that policy; some athletes really are in school for the education! Adam Santoro is the only other grad student listed on the Ivy rosters that I could find.

Rob Koll (before he mutinied, er, left) said that he hoped that the Ivy League would make this permanent (I believe he was thinking about Darmstadt not being able to get four years eligibility).
I assume after reading the rest that when you quoted "at the same school" that you meant this to apply to Ivies not to the NCAA in general. As to Darmstadt, there are a few others that did seem to get a hardship waiver in the past. Wasn't Springman the one that got a year like this?
The question asked was about the Ivy League policy.

The issue with Darmstadt is not his hardship waiver, it is the fact that he's going to graduate this year without having used all his eligibility. He didn't sit out of school last year like so many others. He wasn't a senior last year, so he can only wrestle as a grad student at Cornell if the Ivy League makes their policy change permanent.

Does Lehigh need a 197 next year?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:15 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:09 am
Springman's case was 20 years ago now (time flies when you having, yada, yada). He had a robotics course that was a requirement for his major, it was taught once a year, and it conflicted with wrestling practice two or three days a week. He received a waiver (I assumed from Penn, but maybe from the Ivy League) that allowed him to take his course and come back the following year to wrestle. I have no idea if he wasn't in school for a semester or two -- this was back before Ivyshirting became widespread.

Darmstadt's problem evidently is not graduating before he gets in two more wrestling seasons. He did a greyshirt year at Finger Lakes (during which he may have taken some classes at the local CC's), wrestled a year (and injured his back at NCAAs), recuperated a year, wrestled a year, then missed last year when the Ivies shut down their athletics teams. So he's entering his sixth year since high school in which he'll be wrestling his third season.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:45 pm

If Springman was taking courses- he didn't leave school.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:05 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:45 pm If Springman was taking courses- he didn't leave school.
Sure, but he could have taken the next fall semester off.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:44 pm

When this event was at HVCC, We did not use guys whose eligibility we intended to defer? did we?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Great thing for coaches about this event being Sunday. Shady Maple is closed
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:06 am

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:44 pm When this event was at HVCC, We did not use guys whose eligibility we intended to defer? did we?
We didn't the last three times we were there. We also sent unattached guys to the Bearcat Open when it was held the same day; it doesn't appear we're doing that this year either. Times (and circumstances) change.