The Violent World of Sam Huff ....

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

The Violent World of Sam Huff ....

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:36 pm

... has come to an end. HOFer passed away earlier today. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/326 ... amily-says

I wasn't a fan back when Huff played for the Giants but I remember him coming out of retirement at Vince Lombardi's request to play for the Washington Namelesses in 1969. The Giants, now the opposition, called a shotgun formation (not in vogue at the time) for one play and Huff, who had helped design the defense to the 49ers shotgun a decade earlier, instantly barked out signals and assignments to his teammates who had never seen the formation.

Huff was probably the only famous defensive player in the NFL in the early '60s, thanks to an episode of The Twentieth Century that profiled him. He had microphones placed in his shoulder pads in one game so viewers could hear the impacts of the game as Huff heard them. He said later that it was a game where all the action was elsewhere, so they were probably disappointed.

Lehighsam

Re: The Violent World of Sam Huff ....

Post by Lehighsam » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:42 pm

As a fan of the "original" Cleveland Browns, I believe that the greatest running back of all time is the "great" Jim Brown.
However, Sam Huff was the only individual who could stop him.
jdalu75

Re: The Violent World of Sam Huff ....

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Lehighsam wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:42 pm As a fan of the "original" Cleveland Browns, I believe that the greatest running back of all time is the "great" Jim Brown.
However, Sam Huff was the only individual who could stop him.
In George Plimpton's book Paper Lion, one of the Lions' linebackers related how he had brought Brown down without help just once; and when he got up after the play he realized his facebar had broken off his helmet.