Just Thinking

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Just Thinking

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:09 pm

Some things I noticed over the weekend --

You can say what you want about the level of his competition, but Jaret Lane is now 19-2 over the past two seasons and he scores a lot of bonus points.

Carter Bailey up at 133 for the open today. Sounds to me like the coaches feel confident that Lane and Seymour can handle 125 the rest of the way so there's no reason for Bailey to cut.

McGonagle did well in his first two duals back in the lineup. Scoring on a national champ is never easy and he did it twice.

I almost called Max's win in advance; partly because I looked at the rest of the field. Yeah, he didn't wrestle any top tens .... but he's 8-0 in college with tournament wins on back to back weekends and every guy he's wrestled is Div I. Not a highly touted recruit, so far he's far exceeded expectations.

Did anybody notice that MB4 went 2-0 this weekend and beat a Top 20 guy today?

Humphreys had a knee injury last year and maybe tweaked it in the JCC a few weeks back. Zapf beat him by ankle-picking to that side three times. So it doesn't take magic Cael ankle-picking dust to figure out that a Penn State guy might try to ankle-pick Humph's right foot.

Meyer is much improved. He just won six in a row for the first time in his college career. That said, he's not an offensive juggernaut. He's lost a bout by one and another in OT; he's won two bouts in OT, two by one point, two by two points. Things are turning in his direction but he can still lose any bout since they're all close. But he's winning more than losing now and he hasn't faced a string of patsies. This is what good news looks like.

Lawrence much improved. The guy who beat him, Cates, won the tournament, now 11-2 on the season. 2x NC champ, freshman, not a ranked recruit.

Wilt a surprise finalist. Lost to Milano, PA state champ and Flo #42 overall recruit. He's not unrostered, he's at NC State.

Taylor looked really good. Ryan Catka was 10-1 coming into today and may win Navy's starting job over two veterans. Nate lost to Trigg, looked like he was going to lose again (in his 7th bout of the day?) and then dominated the rest of the bout before putting Trigg away.

Maybe after the Pitt dual nobody's going to face Jordan Wood unless the meet is on the line.

Spladle1989

Re: Just Thinking

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 pm

I agree with most of that….

I’m not sure i agree on Lawrence, he’s had a year in the room covid or not versus a “unheralded” covid freshman…. So same year correct? Both two years out? So who is “much improved” since entering college the “unranked recruit” or the PA stud recruit who lost?

Love watching Dan Moran wrestle, kid is all heart and all effort, but McGonagle when committed is the better option… pains me to say that…. Because i don’t always see that commitment…McGonagle IMHO needs to trust it and let it fly….

Burkhart impresses the hell out of me, we have a gap right now at 184 and he moved up and is letting it fly… and is doing pretty damn well all things considered… i’d hire a kid like that tomorrow to work for me…. And Seymour bumping up to 133 to battle RBY? Hell yes, give me more of that in D1 wrestling, screw forfeits, let these young men wrestle, it benefits no one to forfeit…. And Seymour proved that point by giving a yeoman’s effort in a tough situation….

My full respect to Lehigh team (Coach Santoro) that didn’t offer up forfeits but gave guys a chance to wrestle…. D1 wrestling needs more of that attitude to “grow” the sport….
Last edited by Spladle1989 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:55 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 pm I agree with most of that….

I’m not sure i agree on Lawrence, he’s had a year in the room covid or not versus a “unheralded” covid freshman…. So same year correct? Both two years out? So who is “much improved” since entering college the “unranked recruit” or the PA stud recruit who lost?

Love watching Dan Moran wrestle, kid is all heart and all effort, but McGonagle when committed is the better option… pains me to say that…. Because i don’t always see that commitment…McGonagle ImHO needs to trust it and let it fly….
In the Lawrence comparison, the difference may be two surgeries, the second coming this past spring. I would not be surprised if he took his redshirt this season as he pursues getting back in wrestling shape.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:11 pm

>>>I’m not sure i agree on Lawrence, he’s had a year in the room covid or not versus a “unheralded” covid freshman…. So same year correct? Both two years out? So who is “much improved” since entering college the “unranked recruit” or the PA stud recruit who lost?

.... I have to agree with Spladle, about "much improved," at least at first glance - yes, both 2nd years, although we don't know if Cates had shoulder surgery 8 mo ago, as Thayne did. We now know that Cates is 12-2 this year, getting pretty heralded. Also know that 1 of his training partners at NCS is the massively talented Hayden Hidlay - who greatly helped turn Tony Negron from unheralded last year to a nightmare for Josh H.
So you and JDA are both likely correct, in this politically charged 'political' forum environment. Seeing Lawrence go 4-1 was good news, as he continues to strengthen his deltoids
Good debate, guys.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:23 pm

Maybe Thayne can go on the same weight cutting plan as Burkhart?
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:32 pm

>>>In the Lawrence comparison, the difference may be two surgeries, the second coming this past spring. I would not be surprised if he took his redshirt this season as he pursues getting back in wrestling shape.

... He mentioned that at the picnic; have heard since then that he & Herceg are leaning to r/s unless needed
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:49 pm

This year is really weird -- we normally hear something about r/s decisions early on, always with the understanding that team needs can alter plans. Everything's different this time.