Schedule Musings

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Schedule Musings

Post by Oracle » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:18 am

Hard pressed to recall 4 home duals in a row (non-Covid) -- nice win over Binghamton as they are always scrappy and ride well. Cornell is the paper favorite today and it's well deserved. Their young guns have performed well.

The way the schedule lines up there are no soft touches until, perhaps, Bucknell. Columbia has quielty put together a very nice, balanced team and is not to be taken lightly. They match-up well against us. Then it's Navy followed by Okla State. UPenn, Army and Princeton will all be stiff challenges. With the Ivies back this year, the EIWA is quite tough. Lehigh faces EIWA opponents. Cornell faces 10. No, it's not the B1G but it's still rugged. 16 teams will provide ample Top 33 ranked wrestlers. If anything, the EIWA may be under-ranked. IMO, B1G is #1, followed by co-#2 Big 12 and ACC. Then #4 EIWA over #5 Pac 12, #6 MAC and #7 SoCon.

Currently standing at 5-4 and ranked #21 by IM, with #9 Cornell, #3 Okla State, #24 UPenn and #6 Arizona State ahead. On paper, that says Lehigh ends dual season at 11-7. Pretty remarkable considering duals against #1, #2, #6, #9, #11. When was the last time Lehigh had duals against 5 top 10 teams in the same year? Never.

And Lehigh's depth has been on display in open tournamnets. A while back I suggested Nathan Taylor enter as many Opens as he could.....I'm walking that back. He looks like he could use a rest. Already had around 30 bouts....and it's only January 8th. Maybe too many? Last outing he looked like he was draggin' a little.

Excited for Manzona vs Yianni today. Why use last names when you have first names like this?
Kinda like 'Fabian'

Enjoy the day!

Oracle

Re: Schedule Musings

Post by Oracle » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:20 am

Edit: Lehigh faces 8 EIWA opponents this year.
jdalu75

Re: Schedule Musings

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Oracle wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:18 am Hard pressed to recall 4 home duals in a row (non-Covid)

A while back I suggested Nathan Taylor enter as many Opens as he could.....I'm walking that back. He looks like he could use a rest. Already had around 30 bouts....and it's only January 8th. Maybe too many? Last outing he looked like he was draggin' a little.
I thought it would be easy to find a year with four or more home duals in a row, but I had to go back to 2015: F&M, Cornell, then Harvard and Brown on the same day.

Unless something gets added to the schedule, there aren't many Opens left. The Hitchcock moved to the fall semester. The Mat-Town II is on Jan 29th, the Edinboro is on Feb 5th. There are a few minor ones we never attend. The National Collegiate Open hasn't updated its site since 2020 and we didn't attend for a few years before that.