Cornel Dual Meet

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Cornel Dual Meet

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:13 am

There's a third part to the equation of letting Burkhart up in the 3rd period. Riding out, Loew needed a TD in sudden victory to win. Letting Burkhart up when he did, Loew needed a TD in regulation to win. What would Loew have done if AJ escaped with three seconds left?

The Cornell bench was behind the wrestlers. Burkhart was flattened out; Loew looked back at his bench, then kept riding. Burkhart got to his base, Loew looked back again, then released AJ. Riding out was not guaranteed. I think if Loew had kept AJ flattened, then he would have been instructed to keep riding. Once Burkhart got off his stomach that changed the situation. Cornell bet against Loew riding out and gave him as much time as possible to score. It was a snap decision that their staff never thought they'd need to make since they had counted on Loew for a one-sided win.

Burkhart won, not because of any decision Cornell's staff made, but because on this day he outwrestled his opponent.

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:50 am

If you read previous comments, which very few on here seem to actually do, you will see I said he deserved/earned the win, you will also see I said that riding him out for another 27-29 seconds and then going for win in overtime is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get a takedown in the last 27-29 seconds against a guy with no stall warnings on him.........Coaching is snap decisions for sure, and in this case I feel they made a poor one.....if he manages to take him down he still has to keep him down to avoid going to SV time anyway, sure he would have less time to keep him down but its another factor to consider.....

but hey it's my opinion, having wrestled that is how I would see it.......you may feel differently and that's fine, but at least read thru previous posts instead of picking one post and using it when the context of it has changed with posts that followed it (and this is not just in reference to you JDA).......
legger

Post by legger » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:56 am

**** I really like the strides AJ has made this season. He has fire in his belly and you can see he has spent a lot of time in the weight room. He may not be a world beater, but he is fearless and not afraid to take chances. I will take that kind of wrestler anytime. Continued hard work and more practice with the Elite coaching staff will add to his arsenal. I think AJ will place high at the EIWAs and may even get a few wins at the NCAAs.

I could say the same kind of things about a lot of our guys. If McGonagle, Meyer and Logan can continue to open up and not play a traditional defense oriented strategy they will also turn the corner as well and potentially place high at the EIWAs also.

Malyke and MB4 have sky high potential and once they learn to pick and choose when to be really aggressive, could both end up on the NCAA podium, (growing pains, but just a little). Jaret is great just as he is, but unfortunately he is in a really tough weight class. He still can end up placing at the NCAAs with the right draw.

Josh and Jordan I wouldn't change a thing, just let it fly.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 am

TMH wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:28 pm Side note to yesterday's dual meet with Cornell

I believe that yesterday was the first time that McGonagle wrestled a dual meet in front of fans at Grace Hall.
It came with the match on the line against the #8 team in the country. The place was rocking.

Welcome to the Snakepit
There’s a quote from McG about that in the Gary Blockus article in the Morning Call if you have access, or can figure out how to get around the paywall...

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc ... story.html
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 am

legger wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:56 am Josh and Jordan I wouldn't change a thing, just let it fly.
I'd make them true freshmen again!
legger

Post by legger » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:44 am

I'd make them true freshmen again!

Wouldn't That Be Nice!
Toast

Post by Toast » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:28 am

Asa Packer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:52 pm "I can’t think of a tougher top guy than Humphreys in my mind over my nearly 60 years of following Lehigh wrestling?" I'll go with mark Lieberman, but no slight to JH
Troy Letters would like a word.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:40 am

Toast wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:28 am
Asa Packer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:52 pm "I can’t think of a tougher top guy than Humphreys in my mind over my nearly 60 years of following Lehigh wrestling?" I'll go with mark Lieberman, but no slight to JH
Troy Letters would like a word.
But Letter's top was underneath!
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:49 am

Herb Campbell and Terry Destito were both great at refusing to yield escapes reversals, although neither was great at getting back points. Herb certainly mentored Terry at this skill.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:23 am

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:49 am Herb Campbell and Terry Destito were both great at refusing to yield escapes reversals, although neither was great at getting back points.

Herb certainly mentored Terry at this skill.
>>>>>>>>> Unlikely. Herb was a senior when Terry was a freshman, they were 2 weights apart and didn't work out together. "Being great at refusing to yield escapes and reversals" is generally referred to as 'riding well.' :D