Sports Psychology

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Sports Psychology

Post by TMH » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:55 pm

A few years ago, while attending the Lewis Dinner and the football dinner, athletes were always commenting in their speech how thankful they were for the sports psychologist, whose name I don't remember. Does Lehigh even have a sports psychologist anymore? My research gave the name of Chris Bilder with no bio or any other information.

I bring this up now after reading the injury report on Crookham. When athletes are injured, especially multiple times, they not only need to overcome the physical element but perhaps more importantly the mental aspect.
Perhaps this is more important in wrestling than any other sport because any degree of hesitation can be the difference between success and failure. Athletes are human and they need to trust that their knee, shoulder etc can hold up to pretty extreme torque. That is one area that sports psychology would normally handle.

Just a thought.

gimpeltf

Re: Sports Psychology

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:02 pm

The first one I remember was Ian Birky. Then Jarred Spencer (who wrestled at Pburg and Lafayette and is Travis Spencer's older brother who worked at Stabler now AD Centenary). Not sure after that.
TMH

Re: Sports Psychology

Post by TMH » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:37 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:02 pm The first one I remember was Ian Birky. Then Jarred Spencer (who wrestled at Pburg and Lafayette and is Travis Spencer's older brother who worked at Stabler now AD Centenary). Not sure after that.
Thanks Gimp. Jarrod Spencer was the name I was looking for. I'm not sure if he was employed by the University or was outsourced from the private sector. I don't know how Lehigh is filling that role now, if they are at all. I just remember that athletes were very grateful for his services.