Intensity Level

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Intensity Level

Post by Oracle » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Not silly at all. It's called discussion.

Seymour got the nod because he beat Lane in a public wrestle-off and that was the proper way to reward him. Hoffman qualified twice for Nationals. Perhaps the staff wasn't 100% settled yet on Bryant. So, IMO we didn't really know what we had. And it was not a veteran group. Hines had what, 12 bouts last year? The abbreviated Covid year did not provide the practice time or the number of competitions that ordinarily go with a full year. It was a bogus year in that regard. These "first year" guys are still newbies. The Cornell match showed they are coming of age, but they need to maintain what it was they captured on Saturday. That's the challenge for young developing wrestlers. The leadership core --Lane, Humphreys and Wood are doing a nice job. Sheldon Seymour did a nice job of showing his leadership with his performance out in IL beating top 33 wrestlers from Pitt and Rutgers by wrestling aggressively and not holding back.

Can you have a 'trap match' when it's the opener? I think not. Columbia is a classic trap match. And that may be unfair because Columbia has recruited well and are very good in their own right. They match up well where we are strong: 125, and 133. Their 141 is favored. We could win all 3 or lose all 3. If that happens, all Columbia has to do is flip the script in 2 bouts like we did Saturday and voila! If we keep the hammer down, we win. Same the next day with Navy. These are not roll-over duals. I know Pat says don't read the forum, but I hope our guys read this. Bring the A game or beware. The target is now on their backs.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:22 pm

>>>So do we just guess ding? Something long term? Covid? Would really be nice if the program just said something along the lines of "JtT Davis will be out for a short period of time or 197 backups need to step it up now because Davis may be out for awhile"....you don't need to specify injury.....this discussion has been had many times, still don't agree with the "vow of secrecy" with this stuff, you can communicate without beiing specific, it's not that hard.

....Well, I didn't see it but JDA posted during the Friday broadcast that LU Sports Info Director Steve Lomangino said on-air that "three starters were out for non-Covid illnesses." Pat said in his post-CU interview that McGonagle wasn't feeling well Fri night but wasn't going to miss this one." We're free to guess how fast Bryant & Davis rebound.
Anyone who discloses an athlete's Covid publicly would directly defy the wishes of Lehigh University which cares a lot of student/athlete privacy. It's not even crucial to me since return times are usually not much different than the flu ... ideally
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:26 pm

Voila, a Columbia upset? I don't think so. Yes, they have really good guys at the first 3 weights, but guess what, Lehigh has good guys too. And I'd say 2 of them are at least slight favorites. I can't think of a single match where Jaret Lane lost one that he should have won. The Columbia freshman at 165 is having a great year, but Meyer has also turned it up a notch. For an upset to occur, all four of those guys would have to win, and then probably at least two more guys would have to win, because you can bet the ranch that Lehigh will get bonus points if the full line-up goes. Probably, it won't though, so that's a factor. The way I look at the records, Lehigh has multiple chances for BPs and is favored in all the upper weights.
Jordan Wood vs common opponents: 21 - 0
Daniel Conley vs common opponents: 4 - 20
03/06/20 W FALL 4:42
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:04 am

I did say we could win all 3 ..... along with we could lose all 3. IMO, you are missing the over arching point: if LU comes out flat with a hang over after the big Cornell upset, they will be in trouble. Lose the dual? Probably not, but ya never know. Wouldn't it be more advisable to ratchet up intensity to build on that win and even more confidence moving forward?

If things go awry or even a relatively close score, who will point fingers because *their* expectations weren't met?
Outside of Ivy rivals, don't you think Columbia has this dual circled on their schedule?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:11 am

Columbia wrestlee cornell, penn, and princeton every year. Us, once or twice a decade. So i expect they have jan 14 triple circled
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:52 am

Yup, no doubt this is a big opportunity for some of the Columbia wrestlers and they'll be ready. But, the match-up that scares me is Penn with almost every weight being close. That won't be a classic trap, as LU has had some bad days vs the Quakers recently.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to talk wrestling and analyze records etc. without delving into the extraneous. The match I'm most looking forward to is Ogunsanya vs Meyer.
High School: Three-time letterwinner in Wrestling at Oak Park and River Forest High School in Oak Park, Illinois ... Posted a career 140-21 record in high school ... 2020 IHSA Class 3A State Champion (145) ... 2019 US Marine Corps Nationals All-American ... 2019 Illinois Greco State Champion ... 2018 Preseason National All-American ... 2017 US Marine Corps All-American ... 2016 IL USAW Greco State Champion ... Three-time Fargo All-American (2016-19) ... Member of the Cum Laude Society.

Personal: Born, Joshua Ogunsanya, on Oct. 20, 2001 in Chicago, Illinois ... Son of Demoda and Peter Ogunsanya ... Has three siblings, Peter Jr. (21); Tiara (17) and David (12) ... Brother, Peter Jr., is currently a junior wrestling at Army ... Family is originally from Nigeria and father, Peter, is the first generation born in the United States ... Received recruiting attention from fellow Ivy League programs Harvard and Princeton, along with Chicago, George Mason and Navy ... Went with Columbia because "it offers a unique combination of academic and athletic excellence, enabling improvement in multiple aspects" ... Will enroll in Columbia College ... Plans on majoring in Political Science/History.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:10 am

Yeah, Penn looks like a great dual this season. Hope we get a good turnout even though it's on a Friday night. That crowd noise has to help the wrestlers. I didn't originally buy a ticket for Penn because I don't relish taking the long drive home in the dark at night and there's no action on Saturday to justify an overnighter. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet, pack a thermos of coffee and give it a shot.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:15 am

As you point out, Ogunsanya is plenty tough. Both brothers are.
With Manzona out 149 is vulnerable. Columbia also has a 184 who was NJ state 2nd (Ayzerov) apparently out recently. Not sure he could stay with Burkhart but he's decent.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:45 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:15 am Not sure he could stay with Burkhart but he's decent.

Love that comment. Who woulda said something like that prior to this past weekend? Burkhart really elevated expectations after Binghamton/Cornell. Looks like we have a real honest to goodness dangerous 184 lber!!
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:09 pm

JAD77 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:45 pm
Oracle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:15 am Not sure he could stay with Burkhart but he's decent.

Love that comment. Who woulda said something like that prior to this past weekend? Burkhart really elevated expectations after Binghamton/Cornell. Looks like we have a real honest to goodness dangerous 184 lber!!
Although I like the enthusiasm, we may want to tamp down expectations a bit. It frequently leads to disappointment. AJ is 6-7 with only 2 wins against someone with a winning record. The upset of Loew was remarkable. DePrez, while part of a notable lineage is 5-13 this year. David Key from Navy will be an interesting test. They seem to be close in talent.

Everything is simply a data point.