Flexing versus Screaming

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Flexing versus Screaming

Post by whiz wit » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:21 pm

For many years I've loathed the cliché screams of winning wrestlers. Not only is it herd like behavior, it's also very unappealing to have to look at contorted faces and listen to primitive screams. Plus, I consider it to be very poor sportsmanship to effectively rub your win in the face of your defeated opponent.

Lately, the tide seems to be turning to flexing ones biceps after a win (although this is sometimes accompanied by the dreaded scream). But considering just the singular flex, which is worse? Now it takes absolutely no talent to scream but some work in the gym to develop ones biceps - although the biceps are probably the easiest muscles in the body to develop. And the flex is silent - so it's only visually unappealing rather than both visually and auditorily unappealing. Plus, since the flex is silent, I don't think it's as offensive to the defeated wrestler.

So all in all, while I certainly hate the triumphal flex, I do find it something of an improvement over the triumphal scream.

Opinions?

BP-LU87

Re: Flexing versus Screaming

Post by BP-LU87 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Screaming after you just beat a ranked Cornell wrestler in a hard fought match is better than flexing.

Not a big fan of either….depends on the scream though…..If I just won Ncaas I’d probably let out a whoo hoo!…I guess that’s not a scream
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:23 pm

I like the backflip the most. :D
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:57 pm

Robert Hamlin (NCAA 2,4,2) remains -- literally -- one of the finest gentlemen I've ever met in my six decades of involvement with LU student/athletes. Soft-spoken, modest, beloved by all who've met him; a good friend, as is his entire family. After the 3rd bout below -- of 6 career --with his good friend, Steve Bosak, Cornell (NCAA 4,1,3), he was photographed after the finish clenching his fists while keeping them low, arching his body back in a truly primal scream at the ceiliing.

Three straight 1-pt wins vs Bosak; 5-1 career with just 1 bout decided by more than 1 -- a 3-1,sv, dual win Jan '13; their final mtg. For a lot of reasons I was broken-hearted to miss just that one bout. Coming out of the ICU after open-heart surgery - just in time to boot up back in my hospital room, I learned Hahnemann Hospital's system didn't support online video. Garry Paul '67 wrote the LUWN feature for me and 3 mo later I borrowed a video showing his famed Hamlin Helicopter Spin.

But this time Bosak knew it was coming and blocked it in one direction -- then again when Robt spun in the opposite direction -- only to have Hamlin go back and finally complete his 3rd spin attempt. First time in my life I've ever felt badly for a CU wrestler, as Steve slammed his head and his fist into the mat in frustration.

As long as it's not out of control, I'm fine with celebrations. I doubt very many minded the most flamboyant in NCAA (& Olympic) history, when Gable Steveson staged his promo for his MMA career (which I won't watch).
....Hamline-Bosak
2011: W 5-4 (dual); W 6-5 (EIWA); W 3-2 (NCAA semis)
2012: L 1-2 (dual); W 3-2 (EIWA);
2013: W 3-1,sv (dual)