Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am

Just saw a photo of Nick Suriano on IM. He doesn't look well. He did make 125 for Olympic Trials but hasn't been at 125 within NCAA weight rules since 2018 NCAA finals. Maybe both Glory and Vito have the edge now. Maybe others?
Be interested to keep an eye on this and not just assume he's the favorite to win it.

Jaret Lane's ride-out of Vito was encouraging. IMO, he should always take top when given the choice given his abilities from neutral.

Spladle1989

Re: 125

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:43 am

I think Vito is the favorite at 125 this season. I think the cut is heavy for all three of them but I think it effects Vito the least, I also think Vito continues to improve as a wrestler and his style will be hard to match for Glory and Suriano. Vito's length and reach will be an advantage over Suriano that Fix didn't have, Fix and Suriano had similiar builds. I also think Fix wrestled Suriano's match, low scoring defensive wrestling, I don't think Vito will get sucked into that. I would guess Vito won't go under Glory, forcing Glory to either win or at least break even in the neutral position, and I believe that favors Vito.

All that said the distance between weigh ins and finals at NCAA's will benefit Suriano and Glory more than Vito IF they make the finals. If I had to bet though would take Vito......

Lane has proven his abilities to beat wrestlers outside the top 10 in rankings consistently and his wrestling has improved dramatically since his first few matches in a Lehigh singlet. Lane will need to step up his game one more notch to be in that AA range, that said he is a fun wrestler to watch as he's always looking for the pin and he has continued to improve, would love to see him make the leap.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Oracle wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am Just saw a photo of Nick Suriano on IM. He doesn't look well. He did make 125 for Olympic Trials but hasn't been at 125 within NCAA weight rules since 2018 NCAA finals. Maybe both Glory and Vito have the edge now. Maybe others?
Be interested to keep an eye on this and not just assume he's the favorite to win it.

Jaret Lane's ride-out of Vito was encouraging. IMO, he should always take top when given the choice given his abilities from neutral.
Vito's in a similar situation; before this year he last wrestled collegiately in the 2019 NCAAs. Glory didn't weigh in for the NC State dual this weekend; no reason given. Arujau always looks so thin when I see him that he might be the only one of the three who doesn't struggle with the weight.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:14 pm

Oracle wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am Just saw a photo of Nick Suriano on IM. He doesn't look well. He did make 125 for Olympic Trials but hasn't been at 125 within NCAA weight rules since 2018 NCAA finals. Maybe both Glory and Vito have the edge now. Maybe others?

Suriano missed the Oly Trials due to positive COVID test. I don't believe he ever hit the scale in Texas to make 57kg.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Vito's in a similar situation; before this year he last wrestled collegiately in the 2019 NCAAs. Glory didn't weigh in for the NC State dual this weekend; no reason given. Arujau always looks so thin when I see him that he might be the only one of the three who doesn't struggle with the weight.
Announcer said that Glory was out due to injury.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm

Assuming both Vito and PAtrick make 125 at EIWA, and assuming Lane loses in the Semi, I think there is a good chance he could match the runnerup in points. 3rd is only 3 place advancement and place points less, and gets one more win, so maybe one more pin.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:06 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm Assuming both Vito and PAtrick make 125 at EIWA, and assuming Lane loses in the Semi, I think there is a good chance he could match the runnerup in points. 3rd is only 3 place advancement and place points less, and gets one more win, so maybe one more pin.
In his eight EIWA tournament matches, Glory has two pins, one TF, two majors, and three decisions. Arujau in his four, has one TF, one major, and one decision (and one loss, of course). Arujau appears to have jumped levels (the decision to Lane notwithstanding); combined with the relative weakness at 125 in the EIWA, it seems likely that Glory and Arujau will bonus their way to the finals.

A quick look (that isn't very meaningful) shows that Lane's bonus matches this year are against opponents whose combined record is 14-30, and 9 of those wins were by Ryan Miller. Lane will definitely have to up his game at EIWAs. He's definitely in the top 3.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:22 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm Assuming both Vito and PAtrick make 125 at EIWA, and assuming Lane loses in the Semi, I think there is a good chance he could match the runnerup in points. 3rd is only 3 place advancement and place points less, and gets one more win, so maybe one more pin.
Like clendenin