Columbia dual meet...

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
D3 for LU

Re: Columbia dual meet...

Post by D3 for LU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:11 pm

LU in the Hub wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 pm
oracle wrote: trap
You called it, bro! A win that feels like a loss, but nice job by JT Davis.
Tonight's match will be telling, depending how the B&W will do against the Midshipmen.
I certainly hope that the guys will come out firing on all cylinders tomorrow afternoon.
If they win... they'll either stay static in the polls( or move down a notch. :shock: ) Lose tomorrow and they'll surely drop.
D3

Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU

Manchio's good, but...

Post by D3 for LU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:15 pm

Jaret Lane was certainly cautious in his match w/ Manchio. Was it really warranted? Perhaps he gave him a bit more respect than due. jmho. :|
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
whiz wit

Re: Manchio's good, but...

Post by whiz wit » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:23 pm

D3 for LU wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:15 pm Jaret Lane was certainly cautious in his match w/ Manchio. Was it really warranted? Perhaps he gave him a bit more respect than due. jmho. :|
D3
I think somebody on this forum recently wrote that Lane always wins the bouts he's supposed to win. Well, tonight put an end to that.
LU in the Hub

Re: Manchio's good, but...

Post by LU in the Hub » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:37 pm

whiz wit wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:23 pm I think somebody on this forum recently wrote that Lane always wins the bouts he's supposed to win. Well, tonight put an end to that.
Wonder who that could be?

But, Manchio is better than I thought. Not too many people could have fought off that last good shot from Lane. I kind of always felt like Manchio was lucky to get that pin vs Paetzell at EIWAs the year Paetzell had only lost to Glory and Piccininni. But Manchio is good. The Lane match this reminds me of is the Seymour wrestle-off.

re Logan, he gives up leverage against almost everybody. Against Cornell the difference in body types seemed to work in his favor as he got in on legs over and over, finally scoring.

Disappointing night for both wrestlers but hopefully they both bounce back.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:14 pm

Just got back.

This match was a whole lot like the Lehigh-Cornell dual except that Columbia took on the role of Lehigh. Columbia was very well coached and neutralized a lot of our strengths. Give them credit. On the whole Lehigh just seemed lethargic and lacked the intensity we discussed earlier.

In both matches, the meet came down to the 2nd last bout between 2 equally ranked guys. In both cases, our wrestler was coming off sick leave and in both cases the Lehigh wrestler prevailed in close matches.

Tomorrow could be a barn-burner or it could get ugly if we don't come to wrestle.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm

lu in the hub manages to look back: >>Manchio is better than I thought. Not too many people could have fought off that last good shot from Lane. I kind of always felt like Manchio was lucky to get that pin vs Paetzell at EIWAs the year Paetzell had only lost to Glory and Piccininni. But Manchio is good. The Lane match this reminds me of is the Seymour wrestle-off.

... Correct; it's nice that we love Jaret - he's earned it - but he's not an automatic out for the other team, by a long shot (pun intended). Truth is that Columbia got to scout all 10 of our duals onlne, while we had them vs LIU and ... maybe that was it. Even if we grabbed their other dual (Michigan) it wouldn't have shown a helluva lot

... They were obviously hungrier (duhh), since a win would have been as big as Purdue scoring their 1st Top 10 in 18 years. A win for us was another win (yes, a wake-up call).
They stuck to their game plan -- religiously -- and Oracle was right that it was inevitably a 'trap dual' for us. The coaches warned them, of course, and the kids hopefully listened to Pat better than the fans did to O.
I have a staff of 2 who assist in evaluating rivals -- and the entire EIWA -- and I didn't even ask JDA what the worst-case prognosis was. I had zero idea there was any way we could lose, but we once lost to F&M at home == in 1987, next-to-last yr of Thad Turner.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:11 am

We want to thump them on the back when they wrestle great and win big matches then we should be realistic when they barely win average matches…..

Lane, Logan and McGonagle were disappointing last nite….. Manchio is a good wrestler but was a chance for Lane to prove he has established himself at a certain level….. and he failed…

Logan and McGonagle’s inconsistency is baffling, while eligibility wise they are “young” wrestlers realistically they are both on their third year in the program….. cry covid but everyone else had been dealing with the same thing and everyone else thinks it has effected “them” the most….. realistically it cost the Ivies the most since they lost a full year….

Meyer showed what he has consistently shown wrestling “up” at 165, he’s game, he’s tough, he’ll always be in the match, but he’s going to lose about as many as he wins…

Lehigh’s “match notes” listed 3 possible starters at 149 and none of them wrestled….well done

On the brighter side of things Humphreys continues to look dominant, as does Wood…..Burkhart and Davis won big moment matches, maybe not against the toughest of opponents but given the situation they were huge wins for the team…. You knew if we got it to within reach for Jordan it was victory time….
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:34 am

whiz wit wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:09 pm Logan is an enigma.
+1

Lehigh struggled all night escaping from the bottom. Most of the Columbia wrestlers were brutal on top. Reminded me of a Big 10 team. This doesn’t bode well for tournament time in March.

Gotta love Burkhart’s heart.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:42 am

We all agree Columbia looked good. They did.

Lane needs to get busier from neutral -- no real excuse for that. He's been in the room long enough to know how to generate attacks. This was something Josh Humphreys figured out. Hump pretty much stays away from that merkle TD and gone with quick leg attacks -- with very positive results. If Lane cannot grab a TD against serious competition, he will continue to struggle. Manchio proved he cannot always ride someone out.

Hines is funny -- lets guys back into the bout when he's about to salt it away. He is a gigantic 133 and super quick. When he learns how to maintain the intensity for the full 7 minutes, he will be an AA threat.

McGonagle -- let's give him a Mulligan. Plus, Kazimir is very good.

Hope we see Manzona today.

Humphreys wrestled a tough kid from Columbia. How Garr survived that beating impressed me.

Meyer (see Lane) -- needs to actually attack and not just change levels. Ogunsanya wrestled a smart bout and deserved to win.

Logan, as was pointed out, wrestled a decent opponent. Fine is great on top and kept the pressure on. Kinda the reverse of the Foca bout. Fine is pretty good; not sure when the season is over this will be considered an upset.

AJ Burkhart may be tall but he's not a full-size 184. Bonino was. AJ did a magnificent job of neutralizing that strength advantage because as Greg Strobel would say "he knows how to wrestle."

TJ Davis is another under-sized 197 who is doing yeoman's work for Lehigh. His opponent was a senior but not all that big so it worked out for him.

Wood is wrestling well.

Very impressed with the job Zach Tanelli has done both in recruiting and training his troops. We should be wrestling them every year. Columbia has turned what many considered a drawback (being in NYC) into a draw. They pitch Columbia as a place to experience a great major city and have an Ivy degree. Now that the program has a former B1G wrestler as coach, and he's from NJ, they will continue to recruit and build. Ivy duals this year will be interesting between, Columbia, UPenn and Princeton. Cornell still on a higher tier with Brown and Harvard on a lower tier.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:46 pm

>>>Logan and McGonagle’s inconsistency is baffling, while eligibility wise they are “young” wrestlers realistically they are both on their third year in the program…..

... If they're consistently inconsistent, how is that baffling? :lol: When I assess Connor's career: he still hasn't had that many bouts to make an accurate assessment;.. he's had 1 exceptional bout (Simon) and Friday's especially grim result - bummed further when the staff had him choose down; a lot of his bouts have been close.
Likewise Logan seems to always be close... if he's not finished developing (some take 4-5 yrs) why would I be surprised if bouts go both ways? He doesn't look especially big for 174 - and I know Connor started out 133.

>>cry covid but everyone else had been dealing with the same thing and everyone else thinks it has effected “them” the most…..

... I'm not on here as often you, but where and when have LU fans been crying Covid since last year?
Yes, if you ever talked to Pat last year (I'm guessing you didn't), he shared very explicit concerns about massive loss of practice time vs. other schools due to LU admin decisions. Huge chunks of time where they were ordered to suspending practicing.
Led by the Ivies, private schools tended to be more cautious, especially in states with a Dem Gov.

>>realistically it cost the Ivies the most since they lost a full year….

.... Well, duhh, sure - them and Div III. The good news: they were protected from fans criticizing them for inconsistency :mrgreen: