New Line-Up

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: New Line-Up

Post by Oracle » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:03 pm

Sorry.....I don't do initials.

gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:10 pm

Oracle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:03 pm Sorry.....I don't do initials.
Took me a while- Max Wessell.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:37 pm

I've enjoyed privately chatting with real world mookie since last Fri and am always amazed about the difference between him and mookie. Less true with Oracle (more 1 and the same) but any fan who can look in the mirror and not see hypocrisy in slandering athletes must have a fogged mirror. BTW, I've been highly impressed by spladle's posts of late, rather emphathetic/understanding, for sure.

We were projected for 25th and placed there. Five sec from the 2 AAs we sought. Not "good enough' for anyone at Lehigh --especially coaches & wrestlers. I assume you noticed Pitt down from 11th to 24th, with two returning 2nds, a former Top 5 -- NONE of the trio placing -- just a surprise 5th from Matthews.

I wouldn' t wanna' be on the Pitt forum but have to feel for Gavin and his program
Stay well with one thought: I have a ton of faith in our staff and LU administration, which is doing more than any prior decade (admissions in the '70s was off-the-charts helpful). But the POwer 5's are acting like they own the sport -- and it looks like they & Supreme Court are willing to support Xmas Gifts 12mo/yr. If left unchecked, I'll just support the NFL & MLB, the true professionals. We'll have limiteed options: drop the sport or drop to D-II; can't bond with the Ivies since the EIWA already does, but we'd need a nat championship event.

If more schools threaten them, maybe they'll go back to allowing Div II entries.

I won't support the NCAC - national cash and carry.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:54 pm

Why's DII the active alternative? How about lightening up the schedule? Stuck with PSU because of the long rivalry but replace the likes of ASU, OkSU, Michigan, VT with Rutgers, Virginia, Maryland, Rider, for example, and don't bite on a dual meet tournament where you're going to be facing the likes of Iowa and Missouri.

I read that a tough schedule is necessary to prepare for the Nationals. Is there any evidence of that or is that something that can be intuited like freshmen should redshirt absent extraordinary circumstances, long field goals shouldn't be attempted because failure gives the opponent good field position, or the earth is flat. That tough schedule got the team 25th place. Face it, given the way the tournament's scored, LU is not and will not be a strong Nationals team. Settle for a good dual meet season and a shot at an EIWA team title.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:50 pm

Yes, Turner, Hutch, Strobel & Pat have all told me they had to schedule as many top duals as possible to prepare for Nationals. We've been believing that since our 1st Iowa dual in 1972-73. It's a cult decision among coaches; not debatable. It became even more important when the EIWA got softer.

Your post is excellent if covering the last ten years. It's the next ten I'm concerned about.

Our recruiting has been mostly very good - if not as good as the coaches & fans have wanted. Top reasons: the surges by Ivies, depleting our take of the top student market; then the Power 5 decision to allow nominal cash on top of full ride. I can assure fans that Lehigh won't support outright buying of athletes, say, a full ride + $20k/yr cash, which may be happening soon at a jock school near you. One football story says $8 mil. That's absurd. And vile.

We'll stay as long as possible; as long as we consistently land an A/A or more, Top 10-20 most of the time. As long as our very caring Trustees & donors stay on board, we're good to go -- but we're not supporting buy at all cost. I hope we don't waste time debating its merit.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:20 pm

I need to be mirandized.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:02 pm

drd5748 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:50 pm Yes, Turner, Hutch, Strobel & Pat have all told me they had to schedule as many top duals as possible to prepare for Nationals. We've been believing that since our 1st Iowa dual in 1972-73. It's a cult decision among coaches; not debatable. It became even more important when the EIWA got softer.

Your post is excellent if covering the last ten years. It's the next ten I'm concerned about.

Our recruiting has been mostly very good - if not as good as the coaches & fans have wanted. Top reasons: the surges by Ivies, depleting our take of the top student market; then the Power 5 decision to allow nominal cash on top of full ride. I can assure fans that Lehigh won't support outright buying of athletes, say, a full ride + $20k/yr cash, which may be happening soon at a jock school near you. One football story says $8 mil. That's absurd. And vile.

We'll stay as long as possible; as long as we consistently land an A/A or more, Top 10-20 most of the time. As long as our very caring Trustees & donors stay on board, we're good to go -- but we're not supporting buy at all cost. I hope we don't waste time debating its merit.
Just appearing in the Top 25 will be a pipe dream real quick if that is the reality. There have been reports that certain programs were approaching wrestlers at nationals and offering them cash if they hit the transfer portal. If some of our better wrestlers start leaving as a result of that tactic, you still holding firm? Lehigh is approaching $80k a year, is limited to 9.9 scholarships for a 30-35 man roster, cannot match financial aid packages with Ivies, will not consider NIL or stipends and according to some should NEVER lower academic requirements under any circumstance to an athlete. On what planet will that keep us competitive considering the current landscape? Just look at what you are asking these kids (and their parents paying for it) to consider. Come to Lehigh, we'll give you 1/4 scholarship and you'll only have to pay $60k or go to Michigan (not singling them out but comparable academically) under full scholarship, $10k stipend and we setup a NIL deal through our collective for you. I say this as an alumni of Lehigh and a father of a college student, this decision would be made within mere seconds.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:02 pm

>>>Meanwhile, PSU is close to landing Stanford's Real Woods. Need to work those waiver wires.

Since when is State College close to Iowa City?
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:30 pm

>>>We are not getting any help from the administration. In a perfect world coaches would have more flexibility on who can be admitted

... I fear some (most?) have interpreted some of my prior posts on this.
... Pat has no problems with AD support - both he & Joe are upset with the Power 5 explosion in spending; I heard the trustees suggested a couple thou above, but no frickin' way LU goes to $6k/yr or higher, as if families need bribing to send their kids here.
... the NIL concept is likely worse; I enroll and wake up each morning tallying my income? Do I hire an accnt?
... LU Admissions has been cooperating for quite awhile; this Forum doesn't need to know details but we've lost at least 3 ugrads in the last 4 yrs. Let's not idly talk about "more help'
... This yr the team flew on 3 road dual trips, a 1st, as far as I know. Perhaps due to recent Covid cuts but still a first

Let's focus on the biggest 2 problems: Ivies that didn't care from 1965-1990 and the sudden explosion by new powerhouses + the god-forsaken greed overall and Power 5 in wrestling.

My bottom line: with a little luck w/injuries and intense focus, we can contend with CU for the EIWA title and shoot for Top 15. We can help them as fans by minimizing inane long distance coaching with zero coaching backgrounds
As for increasing "thicknesss' anyone who's read the LUWN knows that Jordan Wood has led a huge increase in upper weight wt lifting - a movement also inspired by Humphreys in the middle.

Some guys got caught moving up - like AJ lifting his ass off to go from 157 to 185. OBVIOUSLY he's got 15-20 lbs more to go and needs 6 more months. You know well Davis got caught in his plan when asked to move up now, vs later. Meyer's challenge is understood by him, his teammates & coaches - the need to penetrate on O. Top of my head, former LU A/As who struggled before 'getting it' were Toth-Fejel, Vitale, Dillon, R.Cruz. Hell, Mike Lieberman lacked offense until his 3rd/yr R/S.... did we really think 18-14-2 would convert to NCAA title???

As the age-old joke, goes: "patience jack-ass, patience' ... more to the point, it's their life, not ours.
Let 'em wrestle; they've got parents, a bunch of coaches and each other.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 pm

>>>Having said that, I'll put myself out there:
125 Seymour
133 Lane
141 Hines
149 Brignola
157 Humphreys
165 Logan
174 Lawrence
184 Burkhardt
197 Garcia
285 Taylor
Crookham to RS -- I have no inside info, just throwing pasta at the wall...

... Pretty nice, job, Asa - and nice cover on Crookham who's a notable option at 33/41 according to sources.
... 133- Spladle correctly remembers someone who doesn't want to be forgotten, good reasons, Brandon returns after two solid seasons in '19, '20 incl wins vs 3 eventual A/As. He has hurdles (duh), just as he had them cutting back down to 125 in 2020 (#7 seed). The surgery, prior medical hurdles hopefully behind him in '23. A terrific & dedicated kid
... 141- i hope it's Hines, McGonagle, possible Crookham option. Pretty damn good options, if he strengthen that thin body, I think Hines is among our top TD guys in yrs; I think eating can only help.

... 149- Brigs said last Fri he 'expects' to finish at 165 and laughed when i said Hines shared that 2 yrs in a row. Malyke must have some of Randy Cruz genes; I sure hope he gets started on his 'prediction'
... 165- Logan won his 1st NY state title at 182 in 2018, so we can skip fantasy league picks here. Human anatomy requires fuel as a top option.... possible w-off between Monzana & Meyers; if Josh r/s Bryant at 157.
... 174- Lawrence said at the picnic last Sept he's pursuing 174, so Thayne vs. Logan improves both; one key '22 issue was lack of top w-offs; easier to remain starter.

... 184- AJ "No D" in Burkhart could be a heckuva wrestler if/when he returns betw 195-200. If looking for him, try the weight room first. Could use a challenger ... who? Maybe JT returns here "if" that feels right. Kid's pretty darn good when not totally out-sized; proved that nearly beat Penn kid at Easterns.
... 197- Or Davis keeps lifting to ward off the new kid, Garcia, whose strength is alleged to approach Meys, McCorkel levels. No one will need to add "he needs to be more of an athlete" ... with Rogers 2nd at 220, Nat Preps (to a Top 10) I'm not sure his plans but "assume" he wants 197, which could be shared by 3 guys vs 1 in '22.
... 285- Nate's a great option; heard about a new Hwt recruit but that can wait.

I sense much tougher W-offs next Fall. So I'll retire until Summer. Have huge 4-15 LUWN Yr-Ender, then almost as big 5/15 Recruiting Issue. Thx for forum posters for your boost in keeping my focus on 5/15 as needed. Be well, all