New Line-Up

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

New Line-Up

Post by Oracle » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am

par·a·digm /ˈperəˌdīm/noun
1. a typical example or pattern of something; a model: "there is a new paradigm for public art in this country"

IMO, Lehigh has quite a few 'very good' top 25 wrestlers coming back next year and one elite top 10 wrestler in Josh Humphreys. How the line-up shakes out will be debated from now until November, but I think we can all agree top 25 won't get it done.

If I were Generalissimo for deciding who goes where, I might start with ordering everyone into the weight room to get stronger. If your frame can support it, move up in weight with the requisite strength needed to win at nationals.
No one has a spot in the line-up regardless of who they are. EX: if Hines wants to move up to 141 and can beat McGonagle -- he starts. McG sits. Find the strongest guys for each weight and teach them to finish from neutral and be able to escape. With enough horsepower, that translates into better results.

Herb Brooks from the movie Miracle said it best -- "we will shut them down because we can" (pointing to goalie Jim Craig. Craig was the stud. We must transition into a team who gets after it 'because they can.' Horsepower is the great equalizer. No coincidence Humphreys and Wood were our top guys -- horsepower.

mookie

Re: New Line-Up

Post by mookie » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:41 pm

Meanwhile, PSU is close to landing Stanford's Real Woods. Need to work those waiver wires.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 pm

Meanwhile....take this whining to another thread. No thoughts on this topic?
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:14 pm

I've never seen a donkey win the Kentucky Derby. Need to recruit better.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:27 pm

I would agree we need to get "bigger" at every weight, that was pretty obvious when our guys arrived at NCAA's....even against the top tier guys at EIWA's we looked undersized from where I sat (although sightlines weren't great at that gym).....we definitely have to get more offensive from neutral also......a couple guys on this team seem to hope to get thru first period scoreless and then win on mat wrestling in the second and third.......

Hines, McGonagle, Logan have certainly underachieved by my way of thinking at this point in their careers.....sure injuries and so on but they all are going on their 4th year in the room, how much better can we expect at this point?

Meyer has given everything he has, but I still think he is wrestling a weight class up, as thick as he has gotten he still doesn't have the leverage (frame) to consistently beat top twenty type guys with any consistency......Burkhardt gave his all this year but needs to get much thicker to consistently compete against top 20 guys.

Brignola needs to get thicker, but has the frame and motor for sure......Seymour will be a top 20/15 type wrestler if given a chance, but will be tough to get higher than that with his stature (just ask Greg D)....125 thru 149 will all be tough battles for a spot next year for sure......if you want a spot you better work hard in the off season.....

Anyway I'm rambling......team should be much better next year if healthy.....how much better remains to be seen.....
legger

Post by legger » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:43 pm

**** Oracle: I agree if the Administration is not willing to take extraordinary steps to increase $ to the wrestlers or lessen requirements even with a select few, then it falls to the coaches to, like you said make anyone who even wants to sniff mat time be world class strong. We are competing against a stacked deck. We are not getting any help from the administration. In a perfect world coaches would have more flexibility on who can be admitted, but until some movement happens there, the coaches have to make sure that who gets mat time is strong enough to at l ast have a chance.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:17 pm

There is a thread from March 2021 predicting next year's line-up. Predictions look nothing like the lineup for 2022 EIWAs. Having said that, I'll put myself out there:
125 Seymour
133 Lane
141 Hines
149 Brignola
157 Humphreys
165 Logan
174 Lawrence
184 Burkhardt
197 Garcia
285 Taylor
Crookham to RS
I have no inside info, just throwing pasta at the wall...
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:58 pm

Of course there is the new covid question of who just moves on? Decides the’ve had enough even though they still have 1 or 2 years of eligibility remaining due to free year….. or decides to go elsewhere and wrestle for grad school (like Weiler)….

And then there’s Paetzell, or is there?
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:10 pm

Kennedy Monday is on the open market.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:15 pm

mookie wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:14 pm I've never seen a donkey win the Kentucky Derby. Need to recruit better.
Not much of a sports fan if you never saw "Francis goes to the Races".