Big News from Princeton

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Re: Big News from Princeton

Post by TMH » Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 am

mookie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:42 am It's impossible to keep track of the ever-expanding buffet of gibberish cooked up by lesbian college professors and idiot kids on Tumblr. Princeton has plunged down the rabbit hole of insanity.
Perhaps you need to get a new hobby. Apparently following the "gibberish cooked up by lesbian college professors and idiot kids on Tumblr" is causing you some angst. Try jogging. :-)

legger

Post by legger » Fri May 20, 2022 11:46 am

**** At the risk of inviting the wrath of the Ultra Lib Faction of the They/Thems, I have to agree with Mountain Hawk.
Leftists have tried to take over the verbiage of America, and for a large part have been very successful. They are trying to create a Class/Race War, plain and simple. However, much of America is finally waking up.

MH is also correct that much of this has infiltrated and today is supported in HR Departments, both in institutions of higher learning as well as many companies. Just try looking at the news regarding how many large companies like Disney now have policies on use of pronouns and preferred sexual identity policies. I have been in HR for over 30 years (mainly in Labor Relations and Employee Relations), but Never, I repeat Never have I bought into the entire Divide and Conquer, Do As We Tell You or Else policies of Sexual Identity. Thankfully, I left Corporate America 15 years ago to start my own consulting company.

I attended a Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) luncheon, in 2013 in Raleigh, NC, where the speakers' topic was Micro Aggressions (where everything we do in everyday life can be viewed as a veiled attempt to discriminate against some minority group). I thought she was an Idiot and told her so, after the event. Not surprising she called me a Closeted Racist and Bigot. She was a Dr. from NC State, working in HR with the University and reaching into the sports programs. I have Zero Idea if this is the same person recently hired by Princeton, but it may have been. Regardless, her speech was like listening to Obama after the Trayvon Martin Incident and was a precursor to how things have evolved.

A very wise and respected man once told me something that never left me: The Definition of Higher Education is: "You Learn More and More About Less and Less, Until, You Know Everything, There Is About Nothing". If you want to blast me, have at it.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 pm

It's OK to agree w MH because he's right. The left has learned that anything you say that disagrees with their position immediately gets labeled "hate speech" (interestingly, see drd's 1st response to my initial salvo) or you are branded a bigot.
There are a few factions buying into this ridiculous hustle. One is about the last 12 years of graduates who were largely indoctrinated into it. The pressure to conform during their college years was palpable and they were happy to obtain the virtue associated with agreeing with the latest nonsense - usually through social media. Another smaller group is the old libs from the 60s who see a movement and decide to march. Call it old habit. Some of you are on here. Then there's a pretty large group (and growing) who know damn well how stupid this is but they can't quite find the voice to oppose it. They fear cancellation or other reprisal and they watch while Lia Thomas sets swimming records in the pool. Those of you in this group, please stand up and be counted. We need our institutions back.
legger

Post by legger » Fri May 20, 2022 1:12 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:05 pm Holy crap, you people are such assholes. This hire by Princeton has no effect whatsoever on any of you, yet here you are mocking them. No wonder Princeton felt the need to have someone fill this position.

Ken Lehner
Cornell '80, Lehigh P'20 (so you don't whine about anonymity)
**** Ken I very much enjoyed sitting with you at the EIWAs at Bucknell and also enjoyed introducing you to Denny, while there. Prior to the introduction, you were going on about how he is an A-hole and would like to tell him so. It just so happened that I saw Denny about 2 rows over and asked you since you had such strong opinions about him, Would you like to meet him face to face? Not knowing that he was sitting close you said "Yes." I made the intro and guess what? Crickets from you. Yes you posted you identity, which is good, but a face to face meeting is another matter entirely.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri May 20, 2022 2:30 pm

legger wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:12 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:05 pm Holy crap, you people are such assholes. This hire by Princeton has no effect whatsoever on any of you, yet here you are mocking them. No wonder Princeton felt the need to have someone fill this position.

Ken Lehner
**** Ken I very much enjoyed sitting with you at the EIWAs at Bucknell and also enjoyed introducing you to Denny, while there. Prior to the introduction, you were going on about how he is an A-hole and would like to tell him so. It just so happened that I saw Denny about 2 rows over and asked you since you had such strong opinions about him, Would you like to meet him face to face? Not knowing that he was sitting close you said "Yes." I made the intro and guess what? Crickets from you. Yes you posted you identity, which is good, but a face to face meeting is another matter entirely.
Yeah, keep bringing that up, as if it has anything to do with anything.

(by the way, I've never been to Bucknell, for EIWAs or any other reason)
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri May 20, 2022 4:58 pm

Those of you that say "it doesn't matter" or "it has nothing to do with you" or whatever ...... well, that's exactly correct. It has to do with diminishing the quality of life, being shamed and/or canceled for not playing along -- all because many of us won't cop to pronouns. Pronouns are utter nonsense. Everyone with a brain knows it. Anyone that "trusts the science" knows there are only 2 sexes. What UPenn did with that male swimmer is criminal. Those that allowed it to happen by not speaking up should be ashamed of themselves. Shamefully, it's become a national disgrace. There are more than a few who agree with me. Hopefully, some day they find their voices.
legger

Post by legger » Fri May 20, 2022 6:40 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:30 pm

Ken Lehner

[/quote]

**** It was the 2017 EIWAs at Bucknell, and YES, You Were There AND YES We Did Indeed Sit Next To Each Other on the first day. It was then I Introduced You to Denny. If we are ever together again, I will say it to your face, as I Tell The Truth Regardless If Anyone Likes It OR Not and I Do Not Back Down from either uncomfortable situations or confrontation. You Sir, are Not Telling The Truth!
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri May 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Oracle wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:58 pm Those of you that say "it doesn't matter" or "it has nothing to do with you" or whatever ...... well, that's exactly correct. It has to do with diminishing the quality of life, being shamed and/or canceled for not playing along -- all because many of us won't cop to pronouns. Pronouns are utter nonsense. Everyone with a brain knows it. Anyone that "trusts the science" knows there are only 2 sexes. What UPenn did with that male swimmer is criminal. Those that allowed it to happen by not speaking up should be ashamed of themselves. Shamefully, it's become a national disgrace. There are more than a few who agree with me. Hopefully, some day they find their voices.
Well, as a matter of discussion, that sounds awfully hyperbolic to me. Even retired, I operate in a lot of circles. I have never used any of the pronouns you have alluded to. Nor have I been chastised for doing so. My life goes on.

As for the swimmer, it is a weird situation and will need to be addressed at some time. Don't expect it to impact men's sports. It's not traumatic though. Yes a few girls placed one spot lower in the NCAA Championships but none of them will be seriously impacted nor will you.

Ironically, someone with an anti-black stance shoots 13 people, killing 10 and that doesn't seem to have the same impact. If we are truly honest, this really isn't about pronouns.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri May 20, 2022 8:01 pm

legger wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:40 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:30 pm

Ken Lehner

**** It was the 2017 EIWAs at Bucknell, and YES, You Were There AND YES We Did Indeed Sit Next To Each Other on the first day. It was then I Introduced You to Denny. If we are ever together again, I will say it to your face, as I Tell The Truth Regardless If Anyone Likes It OR Not and I Do Not Back Down from either uncomfortable situations or confrontation. You Sir, are Not Telling The Truth!
[/quote]

I repeat: I have never been to Bucknell. I've been to EIWAs at Lehigh (twice), Hofstra, and Binghamton, and no other. Despite living in NJ, I missed the EIWAs in Princeton due to being at the Mayo Clinic with my daughter.

You can capitalized words until the cows come home, but that doesn't make you correct. I wonder what else you are incorrect about here.

(hint: you are thinking of Hofstra in 2018. But you are So Damned Sure Of Yourself!)
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Fri May 20, 2022 8:16 pm

I'm a professor at Lehigh. We don't espouse anything as a group. We are all different and have differing political views, different sexual orientations, what have you. Constantly confronted and besieged by a new industry that peddles controversy as a profession. Endless videos and trainings on subjects that have nothing to do with teaching. I say yes and think and do what I want. I still spend my time at the school teaching and enjoying working with great students. I spend zero time trying to convert anyone to any specific way of thinking except in my subject area which has absolutely nothing to do with pronouns. I have had students express concerns over the way they are addressed. I do my best to accommodate the what they would like to be called with the caveat that I have had 70 years of life experience and I respond to what I see. I may make a mistake. Can we talk about our constantly improving team, injected with all kinds of new possibilities? If I'm confronted with a 285 pound wrestler who wants to be called "it", then "it" it is. Bill aka George Porgie (for those having issues with avatars which I think can be very entertaining.) Wrestling please.