Fargo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
D3 for LU

Re: Fargo

Post by D3 for LU » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:50 pm

Woohoo!!! :D
I just got on to see what happened w/the young recruits.
Over the moon with Luke! (I'm going to check out his QF & SF bouts in just a min.)
EXCEED expectations... I really thought he would get by in the QF over Missouri's Coates (barely, it seems) and have trouble w/ Valencia (4 pointed him... TWICE! :shock: )
And , WOOT!!! He's in the finals.

... a big ass Keanu Reeves Whoa! to Luke Stanich!

(Icing on the cake if he wins it! :mrgreen: )
D3

Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:06 pm

Looking at his QF bout... Coates is taller (keep in mind, Stanich was slated at 120 on the NJ roster, but apparently went up to 126 for Fargo.) Coates got the first two TD's. Once those TD's secured, Luke didn't fight it and properly bellied out to defense. He landed a nice TD towards the end of the period. He nabs a TD 25-30 sec. into the 2nd pd to tie it up. Coates now walking the OOB lines as Luke stakes his territory. Injury time Coates... match begins again, action near the OOB line, Coates gets one in action that appears to be grounded, but the ref awards the point to blue. Under :50 left w/ more action and Coates gets another point for pushout. Luke gets a TD and then a gut wrench to lead 8-6, 8-7 w/ Coates getting the reversal at the end of that exchange. It ends that way w/ Stanich getting the "W."
D3
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:30 pm

SF against Valencia... the 2 fireman's dumps at 4 each was the difference for Luke.
Plus good defense and standing his ground in the middle served him well from last summer's Fargo finalist.
(Flo announcer mentions Stanford will be Valencia's choice for schools next year.)
D3
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:40 am

Stanich looked great verses Valencia
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:13 pm

In case some of you forgot... Luke Stanich's opponent in the finals today, Mason Gibson, Pennsylvania (126) - Class of 2023, is a Big Red recruit.
Yep. :P
Future LEHIGH vs future Cornell. ;)
D3
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:45 pm

Stanich lost to Gibson 7-6.....no, I am not supplying video, just result.... according to the Cornell forum Gibson hit a two pointer at the buzzer to tie it, then failed challenge made it 7-6 final.....Gibson would have won either way due to last points rule in case of a tie in freestyle......I guess it was somewhat controversial whether clock had hit zero before Gibson got the final 2 points
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:53 pm

official offered the 2. Review clearly showed there was no control at clock expiry. They gave the 2 anyway.

Stanich is solid and will be a great addition to the room. Cornell kid, whose brother is heading to Cornell this fall, is the #3 overall national recruit.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:01 pm

Great match, Stanich was winning 6-4 with a second left. Some would say he was winning 6-4 with zero seconds left.
Spisula

Post by Spisula » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Exciting match. Stanich should have won; I think he could have taken a fleeing point (?) with 10 sec left in the match to avoid the potential winning takedown. But it didn’t look like control to me before the clock ran out. I’m even confused why Gibson got the earlier 2 when Stanich was grounded and it seemed they were out of bounds – but I can’t say I understand scoring in freestyle completely.

Regardless, Stanich looks like he’ll be a good one for us. For Mookie – he was second in NJ last year as a junior at 120, placed as soph and frosh. He won’t be “under-the-radar” now.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:32 pm

Imho... he really wasn't under the radar in the first place. ;)

Single class three time NJSIAA place winner... more than likely to be a 4 X place winner (dare I say, potential front runner? I dare, I dare! :P )

To me, the call didn't go Luke's way (tough break... but he'll learn from that experience, for sure.)
But the fact he EVEN made it to the finals... AND really held his own on the mat, says a lot to THIS B&W fan!

Double Thumbs up from yours truly! 8-)
D3