Evan Henderson-Assistant Coach

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: Evan Henderson-Assistant Coach

Post by mookie » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:55 pm

Lightweights: 125, 133, 141
Middleweights: 149. 157, 165, 174
Upper weights: 184, 197, 285

Henderson will be most effective from 133 - 157 and fill a coaching need that has existed for a long time.

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:21 pm

I know exactly what a resident wrestler does, but the question was the last coach, not the last resident wrestler who trains with the middle weights and imparts a little knowledge as well…. It’s really not that difficult a question……. Lavalee is not correct answer…neither is Marstellar….Headlee and Little would be considered lightweight coaches i would think…..BUT Hughes was a middle weight, and has been gone for 3 going on 4 seasons now….
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:37 pm

Since there are only four guys officially named "coach" (Pat, Brad, Zach + Vol Asst), the mookster could only have been fishing for covering wt classes by addressing the question of the most recent resident/athletes retained. Obviously "middleweight" is a vague term; Randy Cruz retired at 141 but most never considered him middleweight; 25, 33, 41 obviously the 1st 3 wts. Henderson has been at 141 a full decade, 143 in free

All resident athletes help coach -- which is why Greg Strobel for years hired only Kerry McCoy.
To my question as LVAC dir of fundraising: "do you want me to raise more funds for more guys?" he answered "No ... too many coaches spoil the broth; I don't want the kids getting confused." But Pat accelerated the shift as head coach, even pushing for a full freestyle team, if possible. We learned early that LU donors weren't as interested in support of freestyle, as much as they like helping pay for coaching.

So the most recent middle wt coaches with LVAC were Mario Mason,149 and Richie Lewis, 157 (until a few yrs ago); then Lavallee last yr who's still very much with us. BTW, Mason (with us 5 yrs) joined Hamlin as our only two retained on staff who went unpaid (travel $ only). Mario was paid by Buxton out of his NJ budget; Robt told me 'No, thanks; my graduate fellowship (PhD) pays me full tuition + $25k for expenses."