SCHEDULE

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
drd5748

Re: SCHEDULE

Post by drd5748 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:56 pm

I can see wizard wit thinks I've ducked his premises. Not sure I'm bothering to now respond 1-by-1 but ....

>>>1) The true frosh is more likely to show more improvement over the incumbent over the course of the season;

... As you poked at me, how can you claim that knowledge w/out proof? Where's your statistic evidence of this? No one knows who's going to improve the most in any year, let alone Yr 1.
... Ex: Hamlin had a 'nice' r-fr yr (30-6), then an ok Yr 2 (18-12, EIWA 4) then exploded in Yr 3 to a stunning ncaa 2
So for him Yr 3 was when he showed the most improvement, not Yr 1 or Yr 2.

>>>2) Shit happens - things like injuries, academic problems, transfers, changes in weight class, HEW - so get whatever benefits a true frosh can deliver while he can;

... Yet the greatest risk of academic issues comes from not r/s (ask Cagnina) - and injuries are largely random, can occur in 1 or more of all 5 seasons. Not sure how "transfers" factor in (ask Dutton, who never r/s for LU; not happy);
Are enough of these concerns reasonably addressed in response?

>>>3) Even being "a little better" often makes the difference between winning and losing.

... A theory, yes, although hard to prove. I mentioned Trenge; he was light years better - not a little -- than our alternative as fr/fr but he -- like most blue chip recruits -- requested a r/s. He lost 3 bouts as r-fr - all beatable later on. then was ranked Top 2 four straight yrs which was the joint coach/athlete goal.
There are exceptions, of course, but a huge majority of top recruits prefer to r/s - usually in Yr 1, sometimes later. Your wording sounds logical to you - I get that - but it's countered by a big majority of coaches & athletes in the trenches.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:47 am

DRD, some things don't have to be proved with evidence. They're common sense and understanding. Thus the concept of "judicial notice" in the law of evidence. And please spare me the cherry picking. Finally, you still haven't responded to my point that your rationale fails to take into consideration what's best, at present, for the team. From a team perspective, better to know that you're presently putting your best team on the mat than to construct some grand scheme for greater success in the future where there are so many variables and things that can go wrong (see my rationale #2) that it's unlikely that the vision will become reality.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Crookham is clearly tops in the room at 133. But, in a very tough weight class, the coaches think it's a stretch for him to make All-American in his first year. Under the practice you described, he red shirts. That doesn't make sense to me.
Last edited by whiz wit on Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:17 am

Oracle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:02 pm DRD: There is no need to defend yourself....your credentials are well-established and beyond reproach.
I disagree vigorously.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:49 am

You disagree DRD's credentials are beyond reproach or you disagree with him not having to defend himself?
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:17 pm

>>>Finally, you still haven't responded to my point that your rationale fails to take into consideration what's best, at present, for the team.

/// LOL - so I have to provide evidence but you don't ??

and you haven't responded to the inanity of your suggestion that the entire body of college coaches is making a mistake. Here's an offer: I'll contact five of my coaching friends to see if they'll agree to give you the podium at the next Annual NWCA Convention. Anonymous appearance, of course.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:08 pm

board seems to be rounding into midseason form. hopefully not peaking too soon.
legger

Post by legger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:45 pm

**** Petty personal on line feuds bore me to tears. I know I was guilty of continuing the Cheesesteak thread, but Can't we get back to wrestling? This season is indeed looking up for Lehigh. I for one cannot wait and I am very much looking forward to rooting our guys to great success. Those of you who still want to fight, please arrange to meet off Forum and spare us fans who really only want to enjoy the wrestling and support Lehigh your opinions.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:56 pm

drd5748 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:17 pm >>>Finally, you still haven't responded to my point that your rationale fails to take into consideration what's best, at present, for the team.

and you haven't responded to the inanity of your suggestion that the entire body of college coaches is making a mistake. Here's an offer: I'll contact five of my coaching friends to see if they'll agree to give you the podium at the next Annual NWCA Convention. Anonymous appearance, of course.
But it's already been established that you don't know the policies and practices of the entire body of college coaches. And you failed to respond to my hypothetical. But I'm willing to drop this discussion if it's boring my friend Legger. I'm sure you'll get in the last substantive word because that's what the losers always do to try to salvage a losing effort.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:00 pm

whiz wit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:56 pm
drd5748 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:17 pm >>>Finally, you still haven't responded to my point that your rationale fails to take into consideration what's best, at present, for the team.

But it's already been established that you don't know the policies and practices of the entire body of college coaches. And you failed to respond to my hypothetical. But I'm willing to drop this discussion if it's boring my friend Legger. I'm sure you'll get in the last substantive word because that's what the losers always do to try to salvage a losing effort.
Do you mean like you just did here?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:07 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:00 pm
whiz wit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:56 pm

Do you mean like you just did here?
Huh? I wrote that I expected DRD to get in the last substantive word. You read that, right? Another gotcha guy doing his thing on the forum.

This is the second time the crossword puzzle champ has been able to read my mind. Even though I wrote that I expected DRD to get in the last substantive word, he knew that I really intended to get in the last word myself. What a talent! If only I had that ability. Just think of the successes I could have enjoyed!
Last edited by whiz wit on Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.