11/6

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
1/2NELSON

Re: 11/6

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:25 pm

Have always liked the ability to roam the floor at the Open in spacious Jadwin. Hoping they do NOT have Covid restrictions in place to deter that option.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:13 pm

Looks like I made an unforced error in characterizing the Sacred Heart dual on Sunday as the season opener. Oregon State at home the day before appears to be the opener, and that should be a very competitive dual. Definitely changes the analysis.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:53 pm

legger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:14 pm **** Unfortunately, The Brass Rail which has always has The Best Cheesesteaks has finally closed as of July, (tge family retired), Stewarts near 18th and Walnut is still very good. I wish I could join you. Good cheesesteaks are few and far between in NC.
Sewards, 17th & Union Streets, Allentown, PA.
Interesting fact, J.Milo Sewards grandson is J.Milo Sewards, MD who did thumb repair on Bryce Harper of the Philadelphia Phillies. A renowned orthopedic surgeon. Pat Sewards (Wm. Allen High School) held the East Penn League scoring record for many years at 62 points. https://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/ba ... story.html

J.Milo Sewards was no slouch of an athlete in the 1930s and a legendary coach in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. There is a gymnasium at William Allen High School named after him. I was a high schooler when J. Milo Sewards was a star at Muhlenberg College. He passed away almost 20 years ago. Great guy.

Sewards used to be called John's Steaks. Probably in late 1970s, Sewards bought that owner out and took over the operation when he retired from Allen High. Then his sons took it over Mike and Pat. https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/mc ... id=1155670

The best part of Sewards is that essentially nothing changes on their recipe. They historically hired local kids to do the cooking from the neighborhood of Union Terrace. I always liked getting it with sauce, peppers & onions and mushrooms. Sewards and Zandy's are still the place to go for Cheesesteaks in Allentown. I concur it is a shame that Brass Rail has come to an end.

The bigger question is! Can you still get a good cheesesteak in Hellertown?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:36 am

I'm a member in good standing of two facebook groups whose members critique Lehigh Valley cheesesteaks. Crossroads Hotel in Hellertown has many fans, although I've had better in Bethlehem (Eli's, Wiz Kidz, Carl's; anxious to try a fairly new, highly regarded place on 4th St. called "The Nest"). Vassi's in Hellertown has also gotten a couple recommendations.

I still remember hearing that voice in my freshman dorm uttering "Hoagie Man" from the end of the hall. That was George. If I remember right, his steaks were Philly type - just meat, fried onions and cheese (probably wiz but possibly American). But I've learned in recent years that LV cheesesteaks tend to be more elaborate. They usually feature a tomato based sauce and very often pickle. Sometimes other additions, as HFO mentioned. I still go with the basic steak.

For grub in Hellertown I like a Turkish place called "Limon" on Main St. not far from Crossroads.
legger

Post by legger » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:55 am

**** Like I said before The Best were The Brass Rail Cheesesteaks. I was working 2nd shift at The Steel and would come home and get 2 with extra cheese, onions, sauce and pickles with an order of pierogies, about 3X/ week in the early 80s.. The last time I did that was probably Spring of 2021 when I had moved back to the LV to take care of a very sick family member. I had just recovered from a very bad case of Covid (1 day away from going into the hospital, with a 103-4 degree fever and extreme headache). I was feeling the need of some comfort food. I could only finish one cheesesteak, but it was great.
legger

Post by legger » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:48 am

**** Wiz Whit: I just joined The Lehigh Valley Cheesesteak Connioseurs Facebook page. Thanks for the info.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:01 am

legger wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:48 am **** Wiz Whit: I just joined The Lehigh Valley Cheesesteak Connioseurs Facebook page. Thanks for the info.
The other group is "Where is the Best Cheesesteak in the Lehigh Valley". Welcome aboard, Legs!
legger

Post by legger » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:41 pm

**** Now if I could just find a half decent one in NC it would be great. Yes I am spoiled by LValley cheesesteaks. It is a regional thing. I spent 3 1/2 years in the Bingamton/ Endicott area of NY. The big thing there was Speide sandwiches. It was marinated (sort of tangy) meat on a roll, good but not even close to a good LV Cheesesteak.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:26 pm

Call me crazy, but try Jersey Mike's if they have one in NC. They may not be authentic, but close -- and tasty.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 pm

My memory's not good enough for my best-ever cheesesteaks I enjoyed on Broad St in Bethlehem somewhere betw 2nd and 7th Aves...but between 1972-86. I prefer moist; they steam the buns and the whole thing went down hot & easily. Can't recall the small luncheonette on the North side of Broad; can't confirm it still exists but I've gone from Pat's in Philly up thru the L.V. and nationally (yes, mookster, trying to kill myself)