MMA

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: MMA

Post by mookie » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:18 am

Not sure why aggression is something looked down upon? Some are born to fight and to enjoy fighting. I love seeing wrestlers kick ass in MMA.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:22 am

I think Rich was mostly kidding (believe he has just one degree), but that wouldn't slow the critics from over-grandstanding over his whimsical 'over-reaction'
BP-LU87

Post by BP-LU87 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:43 am

Agree that making sweeping generalizations about degrees isn’t really beneficial.

“It is one thing to put a lot of time and work into the study of a subject and quite another to use that knowledge for the betterment of organizations and society.
[/quote]”

I had a professor at Lehigh (his name was actually Professor Leahigh Phd believe it or not) who taught Bank Management. He was great and I learned quite a bit from him that I still use to this day. (I work for a Global Financial services firm…and if it matters I have a BS in Financial Management) Many other Lehigh Professors (PhDs) taught me stuff that I still use every day (Investments, Statistics, Engineering programming, etc. )

I believe that they have helped me help “better” my organization and society.

Of course I also have examples of the flip side of this.

Wrestle offs (yes, that’s what it’s called on the ticket schedule that just came out) just 4 weeks away!
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:03 pm

Having worked three decades with faculty & staff, I've met a pant load of PhDs but can't recall any who bragged about earning one; probably because it was usually required.

That degree is rare in athletics but off the top of my head is AD Joe Sterrett, plus wrestling A/As (E.E's) Ed Eichelberger & Tihamer Toth-Fejel (a wizard in nanotechnology), plus Computer Science Mark Dufresne and Materials Science Robt Hamlin, who manages the titanium parts manufactured in U.S. Navy nuclear subs. Eichelberger '56 (PhD Princeton '59(earned more patents in the design & manufacture of semi-conductors than I can recall (in the early days of chips). The only one who ever brags a bit (Toth) almost has to, so people can understand what he's done for a living. LU football alum (Bengals WR) Steve Krieder got a PhD in Economics after his ugrad engr degree.

They're all good people. Best quote came when SI asked Kreider what he thought of the SRO playoff crowd in Cinc, with wind chill of 57 below. "I think it reflects the failure of the American educational system.'
SI didn't have to ask him if he was kidding.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:37 am

If a poster on this site does not realize who is a great wrestler with 3 top 4 and NCAA finishes and a PhD studying Mechanics and Material Science I assume they are a troll.

Sure some can make + $100,000 anyway they might try MMA for a little fun. But it is a pretty good way to CTE, I am sure Milonas could have found a doctor to sign off on continuing to wrestle. Why?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:52 pm

Why? Because these guys got to where they are by being uber competitive and love the battle….and aren’t ready to give it up at 23 years old…. You can be a two or three time NCAA champion and not be good enough to wrestle at the senior level, but MMA will greet you with open arms…..Plus they can make some money at it (although rarely a lot)…

Probably a hard concept to grasp for a PHD, because it doesnt make “book sense”…. But realities are often not found in books….
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:37 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:52 pm . But realities are often not found in books….
You’ll never convince the career academics. They know it all.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:34 pm

Hard to convince someone so confused that he thinks the PhD I was referring to was myself, when I was clearly referring to The Many EIWA wrestlers who go for doctorates.

But at least Spladle has reaches a valid conclusion, any result follows from a false premise.

There seem to be plenty of UFC and MMA sites on Rokfin.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:11 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:34 pm Hard to convince someone so confused that he thinks the PhD I was referring to was myself, when I was clearly referring to The Many EIWA wrestlers who go for doctorates.

But at least Spladle has reaches a valid conclusion, any result follows from a false premise.

There seem to be plenty of UFC and MMA sites on Rokfin.
An important clarification… to be fair Spladle, myself and others, your post didn’t read that way.

My apologies for a harsh retort to you which was clearly unfounded. I’m sorry about that.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 pm

Well, we're all equally capable of making unfairly harsh retorts.

As to mookie's defense of physicality/use of force, are the following T or F, at least to the majority of America?

1.) Boxing has had a big decline in interest the last half century (I grew up a big fan of Floyd Patterson, Ali & others)
2.) If agreed about a decline, head trauma & athlete behavior have contributed.