MMA

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: MMA

Post by mookie » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 pm

I guess you aren't ready for that, yet. But your grandkids are gonna love it.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:27 pm

Thought I had posted this:

MMA's not anywhere near as bad as UFC. The last time I watched (and will be my last) they were interviewing - and lauding - a guy for his vaunted 'knife-like' elbows which obliterated his rival. The interviewed rival complimented the winner on his 'sharp elbows' - all you could see: the rival's eyes + his face & skull completely covered in blood.

Right up there with some of the worst murder flicks I've come across while surfing channels.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm

mma & ufc are ok, especially if you have a bs in Criminal justice or Kinesiology. Not so much if one has a PhD in Mechanics and Material Science
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:08 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm mma & ufc are ok, especially if you have a bs in Criminal justice or Kinesiology. Not so much if one has a PhD in Mechanics and Material Science
Top 5 worst and most idiotic, over educated and patronizing (get what’s i’m saying?) posts ever…. But I guess that’s just from my under educated bachelor degree multiple business owner viewpoint….bragging about a PHD is like bragging about being a “respected statistician”….. nobody cares, what have you actually done…. Created….. not in the theoretical, recording of what others have done world…. But in actual real life
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:49 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:08 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm mma & ufc are ok, especially if you have a bs in Criminal justice or Kinesiology. Not so much if one has a PhD in Mechanics and Material Science
Top 5 worst and most idiotic, over educated and patronizing (get what’s i’m saying?) posts ever…. But I guess that’s just from my under educated bachelor degree multiple business owner viewpoint….bragging about a PHD is like bragging about being a “respected statistician”….. nobody cares, what have you actually done…. Created….. not in the theoretical, recording of what others have done world…. But in actual real life
I thought he was being facetious. He was actually being serious?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:50 pm

Yes, sadly….yes he was
LU808

Post by LU808 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:32 pm

+1
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:44 am

LU808 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:32 pm
+1
+1. It is sad. And maybe even pathetic.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:13 am

Bringing majors/degrees into any sports discussion is always ill-advised.

Initially, I was captivated by MMA when Royce Gracey fought 9 guys in one night (no weight class) and won easily. It was unique. Since that time, at the sniff of money lead by the opportunistic Mr. White of the UFC, the "sport" has morf'd into a blood bath. I'm not too interested in seeing a guy's had split open by an elbow. It's way too brutal and for me unwatchable. I would think the main appeal is to a younger, more bloodthirsty audience. As people age, they become less attracted to violence. IMO.

BTW, I also watched Keeping up with he Kardashians when it first came out. It made me feel normal. Alas, after a while it's pointless to watch the wealthy, self-absorbed do-nothings go about their business. Continuing to watch would have made me as crazy as they are.

Have a nice weekend.
legger

Post by legger » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:19 am

**** I respect people who have worked hard, even those who chose to stay in academia and achieve higher level degrees (Phds included), but I do not respect those who then have not gone into "the real world" and used that accumulated knowledge in business. I have crossed paths with so many, many Phds throughout my time in the business and education communities who demand and sometimes receive a high level of respect purely because they have those letters after their name, but have not really accomplished much.

Like Spladdle I only have a BS in Business and Management and an AS in Electronics Technology, plus many other business certifications as far as formal education, but I have run a thriving company for many years as well as having a 20+ year track record of accomplishments in the corporate business world. I have also taught at 5 Universities (Lehigh, Penn State, Muhlenberg, Moravian and DeSales), and was the business representative brought in at one of those schools when students presented their dissertations and theses, prior to be awarded their honors. I would ask the really thought provoking, real world applicable questions and make the students really defend their positions, not just ask "fluff" questions. The head of the committee would tell me before the sessions, "please do not ask too tough questions" as the idea was to give the students and opportunity o "shine" not fall apart", since they had already done all the work to get there.

It is one thing to put a lot of time and work into the study of a subject and quite another to use that knowledge for the betterment of organizations and society.