Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Week-End Salvo

Post by Oracle » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 am

We're 5 weeks out from "inter-squad" (not wrestle-offs) and excitement is definitely in the air. Lehigh returns a veteran team while adding 2 proven transfers that should solidify the upper weights nicely.

I'm told the NCAA has been changing the way certifications are conducted, and have been over the past several years. No longer one set date to certify; rather it's been relaxed to first competition -- at least that's my understanding.

As a fan, I'm not heavily invested in weight certifications -- actually, I couldn't care less about it. The guys will gravitate to where they believe they have the best chance to start and be NCAA effective. That's the end game.
In some cases, guys make a certain weight to help the team.

By far, the most intriguing rule change is allowing true frosh 4 competition dates without losing a year of eligibility. Here's the problem with that: if you use your blue chip guy in key duals against elite AA level opponents and they get beat-up, is that helpful? For example, 133 is a doozy of a weight this year. Think about it. IMO, you'd almost be better off either letting the true frosh compete for the full year, or use those 4 dates to improve confidence against EIWA teams. If the true frosh can use the whole season to adjust and improve, perhaps the end results would be better?

To use a football analogy, the Buffalo Bills have a certain toughness about them to go along with their skill. Toughness cannot be under estimated in wrestling. Grinding out of a poor position is more mental than anything else. To my eye, Lehigh now has the type of room where toughness can be honed. There are a plethora a cement luggers up and down the line-up. That physicality is an X-factor for this year's team.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Spladle1989

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:50 am

The four competition dates is interesting for a plethora of reasons......my main concern with it is teams will use that to "duck" key matchups in duals to better their future seeding, as in why wrestle their 4th ranked guy when we are currently second ranked, just throw a "redshirt" out there for seasoning and say your starter is "dinged".....maybe I'm just being negative from what I've seen in recent year's........and I'm not pointing the finger at Lehigh just across the spectrum of college wrestling.........and in my opinion it is not good for the sport
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:12 am

I am responsible for the change from wrestle-offs to inter-squad. And to think we're told that nobody reads this forum.
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:53 pm

I doubt most freshman will see 4 dates. Varsity wrestlers want to wrestle. It will open up opportunities if any injuries. Other than Crookham, I do not see any freshman cracking the lineup in their first 2 years. They will all get their experience in Open tournaments and the room. Pretty much the same as always, except for opportunity to now sub a premier freshman for injury without losing a year of eligibility. This is last year of Mega-Seniors so slots should be starting to become available. I would suspect the Spring will be a big transfer portal year.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:39 pm

mookie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:12 am I am responsible for the change from wrestle-offs to inter-squad. And to think we're told that nobody reads this forum.
>>>>>>> Not sure why true wrestle-offs are a thing of the past. Coaches always reserve the right to start whoever they feel is the best option regardless of public results. This was painfully obvious with the Minotti/Walters scenario. Ohio State has a true elimination tournament and IMO that is a great way to introduce fans to just about everyone and give some of the freshmen a chance to compete in public.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:18 pm

If Rogers is healthy by second semester I can certainly him taking advantage of the 4 bout rule. Especially as he would usually be the penultimate bout. If he were ready in November, he would have a shot against the weaker 2nd day team of 3 back to back days.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:43 pm

I spoke to Caden on 9/17; he's bummed but he'll be out all season

And it's five dates for frosh, not four. Surprised no one caught that.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:30 am

Most egg heads can't count to five.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:31 am

Indeed a bummer
legger

Post by legger » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 am

Oracle wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:30 am Most egg heads can't count to five.

**** Agree, look at my last comment on The Schedule concerning PHDS and Higher Education.