Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
lu_alum

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by lu_alum » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:12 pm

Oracle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 am We're 5 weeks out from "inter-squad" (not wrestle-offs) and excitement is definitely in the air. Lehigh returns a veteran team while adding 2 proven transfers that should solidify the upper weights nicely.
Isn’t it really an intra-squad match?
Oracle wrote:Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 am By far, the most intriguing rule change is allowing true frosh 4 competition dates without losing a year of eligibility.
By-laws update indicates up to five events in the first year without penalty.

12.8.3.1.7 Exception -- Men's Wrestling. In men's wrestling, a student-athlete representing a Division I institution may compete in up to five dates of competition during the student-athlete's initial year of collegiate enrollment without using a season of competition. Competition in a conference championship tournament, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, or any other season-ending championship event shall not be exempted from counting as a season of competition.

LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:25 pm

Can someone explain what the difference will be in October for the inter squad vs wrestle-off.

I would hope we will be treated to some challenging matches vs watching our top guys take on some lower tier guys in an exhibition.

Why would they rename it?
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:44 am

lu_alum wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:12 pm
Oracle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 am We're 5 weeks out from "inter-squad" (not wrestle-offs) and excitement is definitely in the air. Lehigh returns a veteran team while adding 2 proven transfers that should solidify the upper weights nicely.
Oracle wrote:Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 am By far, the most intriguing rule change is allowing true frosh 4 competition dates without losing a year of eligibility.

12.8.3.1.7 Exception -- Men's Wrestling. In men's wrestling, a student-athlete representing a Division I institution may compete in up to five dates of competition during the student-athlete's initial year of collegiate enrollment without using a season of competition. Competition in a conference championship tournament, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, or any other season-ending championship event shall not be exempted from counting as a season of competition.

>>>>>>>>> What's especially interesting about your post is you feeling the need to correct me.......like I give a hoot. So it's intra-squad and not inter-squad and it's 5 dates, not 4. So what? Do you have any comment on the content of what was posted? Or are you now the Official Forum Correction Monitor --- because we don't need one.
Maybe some time you can educate us on your expansive knowledge of the sport?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 am

I assume this rule applies, albeit with different numbers to other "individual: sports? ie T+F, Swimming. Also Teams??
Of Course Patriot League rules regarding redshirting are garbage.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:46 am

Oracle, if you can be the Official Forum Taste Monitor (see your posting this morning on the "Elite 8" topic), then I think it's fine for lu_alum to be the Official Forum Correction Monitor.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:01 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:46 am Oracle, if you can be the Official Forum Taste Monitor (see your posting this morning on the "Elite 8" topic), then I think it's fine for lu_alum to be the Official Forum Correction Monitor.
>>>>> Your mixing your metaphors. I merely posted my opinion about a post. Not the same thing.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:33 pm

Oracle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:01 pm
whiz wit wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:46 am Oracle, if you can be the Official Forum Taste Monitor (see your posting this morning on the "Elite 8" topic), then I think it's fine for lu_alum to be the Official Forum Correction Monitor.
>>>>> Your mixing your metaphors. I merely posted my opinion about a post. Not the same thing.
They're not metaphors. But you're right about them not being the same thing. You criticized a guy for correcting your errors - one of which was substantial. Then you turned around and criticized a guy for what in your opinion was a "tasteless" joke. Obviously you enjoy being the criticizer - which is something of a habit of yours - but can't stand being the object of criticism.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:23 am

Oracle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:39 pm
mookie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:12 am I am responsible for the change from wrestle-offs to inter-squad. And to think we're told that nobody reads this forum.
>>>>>>> Not sure why true wrestle-offs are a thing of the past. Coaches always reserve the right to start whoever they feel is the best option regardless of public results. This was painfully obvious with the Minotti/Walters scenario. Ohio State has a true elimination tournament and IMO that is a great way to introduce fans to just about everyone and give some of the freshmen a chance to compete in public.
Elimination wrestle-offs occurred at every level of wrestling I was ever at in the 1930s. Sheridan had them in the 1940s when I was at Lehigh. It was a raucous event of fraternities rooting on their guy. I think it would be in best interest of the sport to bring back true wrestle offs like so many Top 10 teams utilize to ramp up the enthusiasm for the sport on campus.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:26 am

Oracle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:44 am
lu_alum wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:12 pm

>>>>>>>>> What's especially interesting about your post is you feeling the need to correct me.......like I give a hoot. So it's intra-squad and not inter-squad and it's 5 dates, not 4. So what? Do you have any comment on the content of what was posted? Or are you now the Official Forum Correction Monitor --- because we don't need one.
Maybe some time you can educate us on your expansive knowledge of the sport?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:38 am

HFO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:23 am
Oracle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:39 pm
mookie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:12 am I am responsible for the change from wrestle-offs to inter-squad. And to think we're told that nobody reads this forum.
>>>>>>> Not sure why true wrestle-offs are a thing of the past. Coaches always reserve the right to start whoever they feel is the best option regardless of public results. This was painfully obvious with the Minotti/Walters scenario. Ohio State has a true elimination tournament and IMO that is a great way to introduce fans to just about everyone and give some of the freshmen a chance to compete in public.
Elimination wrestle-offs occurred at every level of wrestling I was ever at in the 1930s. Sheridan had them in the 1940s when I was at Lehigh. It was a raucous event of fraternities rooting on their guy. I think it would be in best interest of the sport to bring back true wrestle offs like so many Top 10 teams utilize to ramp up the enthusiasm for the sport on campus.
>>>>>>>>> Totally agree