The Beavers

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: The Beavers

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:56 pm

drd5748 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:29 pm Oracle correctly caught you overconfident on 125
Kaylor outwrestled Jaret -- for 6+ min. From LUWN archives:

125: An interesting match-up; both were HS Fargo national 1st, both Top 3 in their conf. Kaylor seemed to have Jaret well-scouted – at least until the end. The Beaver kept shooting early with low singles and led, 4-2, on two 1st period TDs. He had riding time after a Lane escape in the 2nd.

3rd pd- Jared rode long enough to wipe out r. time, but an escape left OSU ahead, 5-3, with Lane unable to attack on his feet; in fact, warned for stalling late. But Kaylor persisted and made a loosey, goose shot which Jaret gratefully converted into a counter TD and 4-pt NF; a little salsa, a little Schalles. Game over, 9-5.
I let this nonsense slide the other day but I’m returning to it now. Pretty clear that we can say Oracle incorrectly tried to catch MH overconfident about Lane v Kaylor (he might admit that after today). Interesting how drd, the ultimate homer on this board, gives full credit for the TD’s earned by Kaylor v Lane but somehow Lane’s winning counter for 6 was what? Lucky? Those moves are exactly the nature of Lane’s Gumby act and to this day his record v Kaylor is 1-0. Bailey had Kaylor scouted well - countered the dump attempt and MH stands by his prediction that Lane would have won the rematch. You would do well to give credit to Lane for his win in the previous match.

Can’t stand these naysayers around here.

DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:08 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:56 pm
drd5748 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:29 pm Oracle correctly caught you overconfident on 125
Kaylor outwrestled Jaret -- for 6+ min. From LUWN archives:

125: An interesting match-up; both were HS Fargo national 1st, both Top 3 in their conf. Kaylor seemed to have Jaret well-scouted – at least until the end. The Beaver kept shooting early with low singles and led, 4-2, on two 1st period TDs. He had riding time after a Lane escape in the 2nd.

3rd pd- Jared rode long enough to wipe out r. time, but an escape left OSU ahead, 5-3, with Lane unable to attack on his feet; in fact, warned for stalling late. But Kaylor persisted and made a loosey, goose shot which Jaret gratefully converted into a counter TD and 4-pt NF; a little salsa, a little Schalles. Game over, 9-5.
I let this nonsense slide the other day but I’m returning to it now. Pretty clear that we can say Oracle incorrectly tried to catch MH overconfident about Lane v Kaylor (he might admit that after today). Interesting how drd, the ultimate homer on this board, gives full credit for the TD’s earned by Kaylor v Lane but somehow Lane’s winning counter for 6 was what? Lucky? Those moves are exactly the nature of Lane’s Gumby act and to this day his record v Kaylor is 1-0. Bailey had Kaylor scouted well - countered the dump attempt and MH stands by his prediction that Lane would have won the rematch. You would do well to give credit to Lane for his win in the previous match.

Can’t stand these naysayers around here.
+1
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:10 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:01 am Lehigh 20-13, with MB IV and Garcia winning the key matches
Pretty close….. LOL
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:01 am

"I let this nonsense slide the other day but I’m returning to it now. Pretty clear that we can say Oracle incorrectly tried to catch MH overconfident about Lane v Kaylor (he might admit that after today)."

>>>>>>>> What did I do now? You would be mistaken, since I also said you may very well be right. Just posting an opinion. Why did you take it personally, like I was trying to "catch you?" Not at all true. I'm declaring an amnesty now that the season has started!

Oregon State, to a man, came to wrestle. They were athletic and aggressive -- a combination that will serve them well as the season progresses. HInes, for once, did not tire late in the bout, so 141 is probably a better weight for him. He does waste a lot of time on his knees and that does not translate into enough TD set-ups IMO. He'll need to be more offensive if he intends to win consistently. His opponent deserved the win. Brignola wrestled a very talented freshman and did what he had to do to win. Meyer was never in the bout -- it happens. Logan looked stronger to me and his opponent was credible. Back-up? Maybe, but he was ready to go and had talent. Munoz is a load, top 5 type guy, so Samuelson just needs to regroup and gain some confidence. Beard, I thought, looked great. Tanner Harvey may be unranked, but he looked good and "riding an unranked guy for 2 minutes" is not the goal.
Taylor worked over a former 197 and it was a good way to get his confidence up. Bailey was outclassed on his feet, but it looked to me like he gassed Kaylor. A good sign....needs better attacks from neutral. McGonagle beat a senior handily and also nice for his confidence. Humphreys is a man and you don't want to be on bottom against him. Crosby did a really nice job not getting turned. One last word: coach Pendleton was a complete gentleman in the way he objected/reacted to some pretty bad calls yesterday. A far cry from some of the whiny, hysterical antics we see from more than a few head coaches these days.

It was a really good, well-wrestled dual and Lehigh did a nice job against a determined Oregon State team.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:46 am

^^^ Hear, hear.^^^
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Oracle wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:01 am "I let this nonsense slide the other day but I’m returning to it now. Pretty clear that we can say Oracle incorrectly tried to catch MH overconfident about Lane v Kaylor (he might admit that after today)."

>>>>>>>> What did I do now? You would be mistaken, since I also said you may very well be right. Just posting an opinion. Why did you take it personally, like I was trying to "catch you?" Not at all true. I'm declaring an amnesty now that the season has started!

Oregon State, to a man, came to wrestle. They were athletic and aggressive -- a combination that will serve them well as the season progresses. HInes, for once, did not tire late in the bout, so 141 is probably a better weight for him. He does waste a lot of time on his knees and that does not translate into enough TD set-ups IMO. He'll need to be more offensive if he intends to win consistently. His opponent deserved the win. Brignola wrestled a very talented freshman and did what he had to do to win. Meyer was never in the bout -- it happens. Logan looked stronger to me and his opponent was credible. Back-up? Maybe, but he was ready to go and had talent. Munoz is a load, top 5 type guy, so Samuelson just needs to regroup and gain some confidence. Beard, I thought, looked great. Tanner Harvey may be unranked, but he looked good and "riding an unranked guy for 2 minutes" is not the goal.
Taylor worked over a former 197 and it was a good way to get his confidence up. Bailey was outclassed on his feet, but it looked to me like he gassed Kaylor. A good sign....needs better attacks from neutral. McGonagle beat a senior handily and also nice for his confidence. Humphreys is a man and you don't want to be on bottom against him. Crosby did a really nice job not getting turned. One last word: coach Pendleton was a complete gentleman in the way he objected/reacted to some pretty bad calls yesterday. A far cry from some of the whiny, hysterical antics we see from more than a few head coaches these days.

It was a really good, well-wrestled dual and Lehigh did a nice job against a determined Oregon State team.
My Lane prediction response not aimed at you and also you are spot on about the conduct of Coach Pendleton who brought a very aggressive team in to Bethlehem and handled some really questionable calls as gentlemanly as possible. A guy to throw on our future coach list someday? I hope that’s a long way off but I liked his approach.