Penn State

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Penn State

Post by whiz wit » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:13 pm

Side note from one in the stands:

Saw Crookham all decked out in one of the new Oleg Cassini white warm-up suits prematch. Didn't see Hines and thought Crookham might be giving it a go at 141. When I finally saw Hines I thought Crookham might be wrestling an exhibition bout at the end but it was not to be. Hey Ryan: Halloween is over!

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:18 pm

HFO, I agree with pretty much all you said, but that still doesnt come close to making them a top ten team….. would be thrilled if they could crack top 15…..

Intermat (Which I consider best rankings) has Lehigh unranked in top 30 tournament teams and #22 dual team and I would say that is fair….
Last edited by Spladle1989 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:20 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:13 pm Side note from one in the stands:

Saw Crookham all decked out in one of the new Oleg Cassini white warm-up suits prematch. Didn't see Hines and thought Crookham might be giving it a go at 141. When I finally saw Hines I thought Crookham might be wrestling an exhibition bout at the end but it was not to be. Hey Ryan: Halloween is over!
Photo of aforementioned new Lehigh Oleg Cassini warmups:
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:03 pm

>>Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:01 am
I would guess yes, but will be more PSU fans than LU fans…

... Wouldn't it be nice if you just had "sayers" vs. naysayers and "apologists" on this Forum? Just sayin' ....

... Not sure how many attended today but everyone attending understands PSU has never had more fans attend in Bethlehem than LU. Never - partly since PSU gives us so few seats out there (only 250 for our 1st-ever appearance in BJC) that we have no pressure to give them more. Fact. I spoke w/our Dir of Mrkting today - his staff did a helluva job w/sales and atmosphere.
I was worried PPL would upset this applecart due to the huge increase in public sales. Yes, PSU set its visiting record in PPL - their loudest for sure - but we dominated the #s and the atmosphere. Awesome LU display (home)
It would be nice if the Forum understood such facts better than they do. Thx to JAD and RichB for appropriate digs. But why are digs needed?. Why not ask - then accept answers? Rocket science?

133- Ryan Less Hair (today) approached me pre-meet to clarify he didn't mean any specific event (wasn't him vs RBY great?!) but yes, has been back on the mats for a week and looks forward to wrestling soon.
141- Would still be nice to leave Hines alone on strength (what does that accomplish?); i was surprised to note that Brooks was PSU's 1st today w/extra bulk; PSU only seemed bigger at 197/285.
Obvious that PSU was on avg more talented - except for 197 they had far cleaner TDs (good luck countering this shot, bub). Having 70% of starters rank Top 20 in HS an obvious edge - like OklaSt had in Nov. Odds of us beating OkSt 2x and almost PSU in PPL? Astronomical slim, imho. Discuss

149- I talked to Brigs, who says they're swapping entries for now, not wrestling off (coache's prerog). I love them both but I lean toward better D and odds for 7:00.

I assume the Forum can now forgive Beard for being human after maybe carrying a bug in Nov, like i did for 3 wks.
Now you can worry about Yianni and Dean's "gas tanks" I guess -
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:22 pm

Listen was a great day for Lehigh, but we didn’t win ya know? Let’s tone down the glory be a little bit, save that for when we actually pull the huge upset…..like Cornell in 2011.. your biggest discussion about dual concerns split in attendence, wow, maybe we actually did have more fans than the oppostion at a HOME DUAL

Nothing other than the Beard match was an unusual or unpredicrable result….. and while I didnt see it happening, others weren’t that surprised…..

Hines is being out muscled, the clean single leg shot stuffed by a 3/4 nelson by Bartlett was the classic example, Hines just collapsed under the force of it….a couple of Bartlett’s throw by’s were way too easy and wasn’t just technique and positioning….if this discussion upsets you it’s happening only because you brought it up….. again
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:25 pm

Arrived an hour early, been awhile since I was at Stabler, and had actually forgotten about all the amenities at the Arena,.. but the atmosphere was great, lighting excellent at mat-side.

Nice touch introducing the Patriot Conference field hockey champs,..LEHIGH, but the other commercial-fillers were a waste of time. Hell,.introduce some OLD-TIMERS before they freakin' die! :o Spoke briefly with Mike Caruso who was holding-court with some of his former Lehigh/Penn State cronies, including PSU great Andy Matter. Also spotted Coach Sanderson signing a few autographs for some kids, including this OLD-MAN,.. who can now add it to his memorabilia collection along with Gable, Brands, and Larry Owings. Actually took the time to call MBIV over to the front row as he was crusin' the mat early-on. What a nice kid,..told him I was happy to see him in the line-up, and if THE-CUT has been an issue. He replied,.."Not now!",..as if maybe it had.:? As he fist-pumped me and started back towards the mat I kiddingly asked with a smile, "BTW,..is the gas-tank on full?",..to which he flashed a big grin/THUMBS-UP :D I genuinely like this fella, and believe he just needs his HAND raised a couple times to boost his confidence.

Competitive match overall, 9-9 score at half-time looked impressive against the #1 Team in-the-nation, although we knew what lie ahead! :cry: Love the cart-wheeling theatrics from our light-weight, but Hines remains an enigma,..and Meyers has yet to have another signature win.:x

PAY-PER-VIEW bout did not disappoint as Beard won a very exciting bout handing Dean his 2ND loss of the weekend, and sending many fans UP the aisle to get a head-start home,.. but at least with a smile on their face! :D
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:26 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:03 pm >>Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:01 am
I would guess yes, but will be more PSU fans than LU fans…

... Wouldn't it be nice if you just had "sayers" vs. naysayers and "apologists" on this Forum? Just sayin' ....

no.

... Not sure how many attended today but everyone attending understands PSU has never had more fans attend in Bethlehem than LU. Never - partly since PSU gives us so few seats out there (only 250 for our 1st-ever appearance in BJC) that we have no pressure to give them more. Fact. I spoke w/our Dir of Mrkting today - his staff did a helluva job w/sales and atmosphere.
I was worried PPL would upset this applecart due to the huge increase in public sales. Yes, PSU set its visiting record in PPL - their loudest for sure - but we dominated the #s and the atmosphere. Awesome LU display (home)
It would be nice if the Forum understood such facts better than they do. Thx to JAD and RichB for appropriate digs. But why are digs needed?. Why not ask - then accept answers? Rocket science?

133- Ryan Less Hair (today) approached me pre-meet to clarify he didn't mean any specific event (wasn't him vs RBY great?!) but yes, has been back on the mats for a week and looks forward to wrestling soon.
141- Would still be nice to leave Hines alone on strength

seems an issue that some fans wish to discuss on an open free speech forum
(what does that accomplish?)seems the method whereby forum participants express an opinion perhaps to see if others agree or disagree. It’s called establish a dialogue;

i was surprised to note that Brooks was PSU's 1st today w/extra bulk; PSU only seemed bigger at 197/285. Sorry but Hines looked considerably smaller up from 33 than did PSU’s guy down from 49 last yr. Facts man
Obvious that PSU was on avg more talented - except for 197 they had far cleaner TDs (good luck countering this shot, bub). Having 70% of starters rank Top 20 in HS an obvious edge - like OklaSt had in Nov. Odds of us beating OkSt 2x and almost PSU in PPL? Astronomical slim, imho. Discuss

149- I talked to Brigs, who says they're swapping entries for now, not wrestling off (coache's prerog). I love them both but I lean toward better D and odds for 7:00.

I assume the Forum can now forgive Beard for being human after maybe carrying a bug in Nov, like i did for 3 wks.
Now you can worry about Yianni and Dean's "gas tanks" I guess -
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:53 pm

>>>>>>>>>>A very credible performances against the perennial #1 team. A sell out home crowd and a huge win by a very deserving Lehigh wrestler at 197.

Yes, I like to see us win, but more importantly, in my book, is the willingness to take on the challenge of wrestling the toughest teams and individuals. The ultimate goal will always be preparing young men for life.

My view of the forum naysayers ( and all naysayers) is always to revert to the classic words in Theodore Roosevelt’s “ Man in the Arena”

“It’s not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles…………….The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena………….who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat”
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:11 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:25 pm Actually took the time to call MBIV over to the front row as he was crusin' the mat early-on. What a nice kid,..told him I was happy to see him in the line-up, and if THE-CUT has been an issue. He replied,.."Not now!",..as if maybe it had.:? As he fist-pumped me and started back towards the mat I kiddingly asked with a smile, "BTW,..is the gas-tank on full?",..to which he flashed a big grin/THUMBS-UP :D I genuinely like this fella, and believe he just needs his HAND raised a couple times to boost his confidence.
You seriously talked to this kid before the match when he's trying to clear his mind of self-doubt and asked him about his cut and his gas tank? Wow! There might be a reason he was walking away from you. And he was smiling because he is a nice polite kid.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:29 pm

Stabler was electric for Beard & the theatrics before the match with lighting & video Boards were great.

What were of credentials for the RBY replacement? McGonagle looking very comfortable at 133 unlike Hines & Logan at their weights.

Samuelson did a very respectable job.

Taylor getting an early wake up call as a frosh against men. I have no doubt that he will be fine as the season progresses.

Congrats to Pat & coaches to get their guys ready today-4 wins overachieved expectations.