Penn State

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
drd5748

Re: Penn State

Post by drd5748 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:12 pm

>>>Was at 2 of the last 4 EIWA's (Binghamton and Cornell), and I think 5 (maybe 6?) Lehigh duals in the last 5 years, which is pretty good coming from the WNY area with a "pandemic"going on the last couple years......

... Pretty good from Buffalo, for sure, but flat out paltry as qualification for judging my understanding of the rules and officiating at Binghamton; with 2 on this forum (good friends gimp, richb) carrying their updated rulebooks with them every meet since the early '70's. Argue rules? They'll pull the book out on you.
Closer than Buffalo, I've attended over 720 duals, after buddy John Harmon dropped out of contention for that honor, r.i.p.2017 I don't rank Top 25 in EIWA tourneys (46) but have attended 34 NCAAs, with floor passes half the time & the ability to talk to 30-40 refs over the years about rules. One ref (Vinnie Zuaro) bunked me in his room in Okla for OU-OSU dual, when he nearly threw Coach Stan Abel out of his own gym. I featured Vinnie & Pascal Perri in 2 issues of Mat News, with Pascal a frequent golfer at LVAC.
Head EIWA ref Jake Llewellyn (longtime LUWN reader) gifted me a pair of red/green wrist bands, said: "If you're gonna get on us, at least signal with these." I gave them to Harmon since we sat together.
Both Perri & Dan Gable gave me their own versions of the Owings bout. Dan (who accepted my invite to speak in 2014 and rode w/me after our 17" snow) admitted that Pascal did him a favor by hitting him for stalling; made him better in freestyle. I used to struggle to reach Gable for NMN. He said: "call me at home Sun, when I'm free"
With the life I've had in this sport, why exactly do I need to deal with unidentified folks? Friends can email me with questions as they often do

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:24 pm

The reason you didn't post it was because you're a true fan, unwilling to insult your alma mater from 7 hrs away.

They didn't even come close to matching our crowd, which has always treated the PSU series with utmost respect by showing up. Did you attend in PPL? If we could outdraw them with 10k seats off-campus, why wouldn't we with 6k?

It wasn't "just an opinion".. like a cheesesteak sandwich, it came with extra sauce
Don't tell us what to think. Right:?
legger

Post by legger » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:45 pm

**** You two are boring and a waste of time with you bickering. Stay focused on wrestling.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:07 pm

drd5748 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:12 pm
With the life I've had in this sport, why exactly do I need to deal with unidentified folks? Friends can email me with questions as they often do
Why indeed. Perhaps that paperwork will soon be processed and you can continue to e-mail your friends offline.
MH is running out of cataclysmic historical events by which to compare the dismemberment of the sense of Lehigh wrestling family around these parts.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm

Ahem, nice try ... 10-15 of your worst rants qualify as The Eve of Destruction ... wasn't that your goal??
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:01 pm

drd5748 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm Ahem, nice try ... 10-15 of your worst rants qualify as The Eve of Destruction ... wasn't that your goal??
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:24 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:20 pm BTW, this non-serious post was last year but it was still annoying: "Penn State's 2nd string could beat our starters"'

As of today, Pat's starters are 15-3 vs Cael's subs.
What is our record of subs against Penn State starters?
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:29 pm

legger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:56 am **** Denny and Spadle: if you both plan on attending the EIWAs, why not try to arrange an in person meeting. I find that meeting face to face often lessens the animosity of on line "discussions". Hopefully you both would be man enough to restrain yourselves. Give it a go, it cannot hurt. If these diatribes on both sides continue, they just end up being boring and a waste of time for the rest of us.
I'm almost 100, but I'd pay money to see a 1 minute wrestle-off between these two. It is never boring between these two. One learns as you age that you sometimes get to be every age between. I quite enjoy the banter between these young men. :D
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:35 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:30 am Come on Rich, try to be be better than that......

all the duals I've attended have been at Lehigh in Grace (except Rutgers dual but that was like 10 years ago at Stabler, didn't include that in my 5 or 6), only away dual I've been to in last few years was at Bucknell (place was an absolute ghost town), was on way to Bethlehem to see one of my fraternity brother's band play a reunion gig at The Funhouse........

Besides all that I've had 3 kids going thru college the last 9 years, so weekend trips tend to lean heavily towards seeing them versus travelling to Lehigh.......My youngest finally graduates this May........Geez, I guess I'm just not a true fan choosing them over Lehigh wrestling.......

We are judgy though aren't we?
Not to mention 5 feet of snow. I get to Bethlehem, but I have become more of a Flo and Big10 fan every year.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:00 pm

What a CAST OF CHARACTERS! :o I'm pretty new to the fray here but have posted at length on other chat-lines wrestling specific, and occasionally political, but they can get quite personal IF you allow it! :evil: At the end of-the-day ya know what they say about opinions.. :roll: However I'm somewhat entertained with the jostling between two of our more erudite observers who I affectionately reference as..THE ODD COUPLE! :lol: Their love-of-the game is unquestionable, and that's all that matters to me. Anyone who doesn't wanna bear witness to the on-going COCK-FIGHT don't watch,..and avoid the blood-bath/feathers! :P