NWCA All Star Classic

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JAD77

NWCA All Star Classic

Post by JAD77 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:59 pm

Apparently Austin Gomez’ win over Yianni in the Wisconsin/Cornell dual was not a fluke. He wrestled Sammy Sasso last night in the All Star event and came from behind with 4 dominating takedowns in the 3rd period to win 10-9. Looked unstoppable in the final stanza, much like he did against Yianni.
Holding the event at the NYAC made the entire event look bush league though - it’s like trying to cram it into someone’s living room.

FloridaGuy

Re: NWCA All Star Classic

Post by FloridaGuy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:48 pm

>>>>>>>> An excellent night of wrestling. Psu guys were studs, but Gomez was the highlight with his second statement win of the week.

FYI——event was held in Austin, Tx

It’s a great time to be a thankful for Lehigh wrestling.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 pm

You’re right, my bad. For some reason I thought it was at the NYAC. Wherever it was, it looked like the wrestlers outnumbered the spectators. Tiny venue that brought no audience excitement to the event.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:08 pm

So let's discuss - how many times is the NWCA going to keep bribing the state of TX (or is it vice versa?) to try to get a Div I program started? Having ASU-Mich moved there was one thing but I've lost track of the # of major events hosted there vs. wrestling hotbeds or emerging programs that could use a boost for an event routinely drawing 3k-6k
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:25 pm

Texas getting a D1 power would be great for the sport.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:14 pm

Ya take this thing to a venue that guarantees you a good crowd of rabid WRESTLING fans! :o Carver Arena at the U of Iowa would be a good draw, or the intimate confines of Grace Hall at Lehigh, the Palestra at Penn,..or to Rec Hall at Penn State. Of course having an All-Star competitor in-the-field from the host school is preferred. :roll:
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:06 pm

>>>>>>>>I’m all in favor of holding the all star meet at a sizable arena in a wrestling hotbed area, but it’s up to the NWCA

I understand the NWCA has the rights to both the all star meet and the National Duals. The National Duals has been on a long hiatus.

I believe the recent all star meet involved Flo funding and was held at a Flo facility in Austin to minimize event costs————-which resulted in more funds being available for travel, participants and the NWCA.

I’m just glad we had an all star event that I could watch from the warmth of my den in Florida. I counted 18 guys ranked in the top 4 and I won’t have a chance to see wrestling of that quality in one night until the NCAAs.